Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Helicopter - Can We Rename This Style? (Read 9592 times)
Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Helicopter - Can We Rename This Style?
Oct 6th, 2018 at 7:11pm

All of the slinging styles, w/ one glaring exception, have names that evoke the history and the culture of slinging: Balearic, Greek, Figure 8, Apache, Byzantine, and Pirouette.  Even the dreaded "turkey style" (which sounds like some poorly executed country western line dance as in "hee-haw, now everybody strut...turkey style!" actually, maybe I am on to something here - if my Turkey Style vid goes viral, I will share the profits w/ everyone here) (sorry for the digression!) fits in.

As stated in the Subject line - the glaring exception is of course Helicopter.  How is it that we name a slinging style that probably pre-dates written history, after a powered flight machine invented in 1939?

Insofar as we are the preeminent source of sling knowledge, we have the privilege of calling things what we choose.  Who will join me in my humble campaign to rename Helicopter?

Is anyone else troubled by this?

Would I do better to devote my time to practice (as my slinging vids demonstrate - I can certainly use more practice!) and not worry about nomenclature?

For those who wish to join me, what are your suggestions for renaming Helicopter into something archaic?

IP Logged

BAMBULA
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Russia
Re: Helicopter - Can We Rename This Style?
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 7:53pm

Where here in the forum posted the most comprehensive video catalog of various styles ? If there is one, please show it to me. If it does not exist, it must be created. There are questions not only about the style of "helicopter", but also about some other styles.   So far I have used this directory to identify styles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72cIgoZ7wNU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj0r3VqWP4w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WADQStF-Rq4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBh2B3oeKtM
If not all styles are described here, then maybe we need to use a different directory ?
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2018 at 9:39pm by BAMBULA »  
bambula  
IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 8:44pm

Well how about every style being Byzantine if you don't multi rotor. That's the one I struggle with .

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

BAMBULA
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Russia
Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 9:37pm

Where is the most complete catalog of styles, suitable to check with him in each case? Why is there a debate about the name of styles ? This means that the directory does not exist ?

bambula  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 9:50pm

Tornado?

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 3:18am

Lips Sealed Cry warum schon wieder dieses Thema? Habt ihr lange weile?
Es gibt nur drei Stile.  Alles andere sind nur Variationen dieser drei Stile.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 8:44am

Jaegoor: Aussie (RIP) listed the following styles:  FIGURE 8, HELICOPTER STYLE, SIDEARM, APACHE STYLE, UNDERARM, GREEK STYLE, BALEARIC STYLE, DOUBLE FIGURE, 8 DOUBLE SIDEARM, BYZANTINE STYLE, PIROUETTE

Can you help me understand the 3 styles?  Maybe it is better to say that there are 3 categories and that the various styles fit into one of the 3?

I am working on a presentation for the anthropology club at our local university and I noticed that "helicopter" does not fit w/ the other names.  I did not realize that this was previously discussed.  Do you have a link?

Bambula: try this link:

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1260271797 - scroll past the descriptions of how to make a slingshot and you will see Aussie's list of styles and links to videos depicting them.

All: maybe name it for other people that used slings i.e. Assyrian, Egyptian, Mesopotamian, Aztec?

Or to be consistent w/ some archeological finds that may relate to slings (baton de commadement, baton perce), use the French hélicoptère?

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 11:32am

Tint you got my vote for Tornado style

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 12:40pm

Helicopter works for me.

It's discriptive: exactly like fig 8 and pirouette.

It's derived ' spiral wing' in greek.
Although  helicopter is french noidea
Quote:
Etymology
Borrowed from French hélicoptère, from Ancient Greek ἕλιξ (hélix, “spiral”) + πτερόν (pterón, “wing”).

There is no common directory. people seem to be making more daft names up every damn week.

Byzantine and turkey - great examples.
Of daft names - that is Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 1:26pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 7th, 2018 at 12:40pm:
Helicopter works for me.

It's discriptive: exactly like fig 8 and pirouette.

It's derived ' spiral wing' in greek.
Although  helicopter is french noidea
Quote:
Etymology
Borrowed from French hélicoptère, from Ancient Greek ἕλιξ (hélix, “spiral”) + πτερόν (pterón, “wing”).

There is no common directory. people seem to be making more daft names up every damn week.

Byzantine and turkey - great examples.
Of daft names - that is Smiley

Thumbs Up

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 1:55pm

There are only three styles. O - S - U  All the others are varieties within those styles. Look at all the variations. The stone (projectile) will always be released (catapulted). Even while doing a spin, you will release sidehand. The many styles here discussed in the forum are confusing. Somebody made himself a name by using his own style and name it after himself. Bambula is trying this at the moment. Apaches had slings. But did they have their own style? How do we know? How do we find proof of this? It all boils down to the three basic techniques mentioned above.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #11 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 3:44pm

I've never understood what Byzantine style is Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 5:11pm

Some people like to say that the first two professions in history were the prostitute and the priest, but the first job was actually the taxonomist. The first man, Adam, spent his days naming the animals, and humans have been fascinated by categorizing and classifying everything ever since then.

Here’s my $.02:
1. What matters most is the trajectory, the projectile stability, the speed, and the spin at the release. How many times you whirl the rock around your head may matter when it comes to proprioception and muscle memory, but in the end, you either hit the target or you miss, and that has more to do with practice than which particular style you choose. I don’t care what label you put on it. If you can hit the target, you’re doing it right even if you don’t know what to call the style or your style isn’t “pure”.

2. You could go crazy with names to classify styles, or you could just define a set of parameters that describes the throw, such as the angle of the swing and release relative to the direction of the throw. For example, imagine that you are punching at the center of a clock when you throw... the sling would pass through 12:00 with Apache or overhand, and about 1:30 or 2:00 with a figure-8 (unless you’re left handed).  Balearic might release at about 4:30, and so on.   Then we can all argue about what clock position is “correct” for the release, but it’ll be clear to everyone what the form looks like at the release, no matter how you swing it before that.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #13 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 12:40am

I likes helicopter, it describes this variant perfectly well. But it does leave open the question of the release: it is sideways, or a downwards slash ?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 7:08am

a helicopter windup can lead to either a sideways release OR a vertical release.
Jaegoor actually uses a vertical release - but I noticed this year he was teaching the kids in mallorca to use a sideways release.
Sneaky Wink

As far as naming things after a traditional clock face goes.
Apparently that's a dead topic.

Kids these days don't use standard clock dials.  Watches will soon mostly be 'smart' - but there will be helicopters for a few years yet Smiley

When the helicopters are replaced by gravity vehicles or turbo-fan engines. Then we can Call it the Sycamore style.

No matter what technology does - there will (hopefully) always be sycamore trees with whirly blade seed pods Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)