Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Helicopter - Can We Rename This Style? (Read 9603 times)
Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Re: Helicopter - Can We Rename This Style?
Reply #15 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 7:30pm

Actually, Sycamore style sounds better to me than helicopter for some reason  Grin

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 11:37pm

Maple keys twirl faster  Cheesy

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #17 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 10:16am

Sycamore sounds good to me as well.  It evokes the classical sound of other slinging styles.

Jaegoor helped me understand a basic concept - O S U - as in overhand sidearm and underhand.  The three styles that I use, Sycamore (helicopter) Balearic, and pirouette, are all sidearm styles.  For whatever reason, I really struggle w/ the overhand styles, i.e. figure 8, and I do not generate sufficient power underhand. So basically, I am a sidearm slinger.

I recently taught archery to some members of an anthropology club at the local university.  I brought some slings and without showing the students anything more that the retention and release cords, I let them have at it w/ tennis balls.  They each threw w/ variants of either S or O.

Borrowing from archery - there are 3 basic bow styles - recurve, longbow, and compound.  There are also a lot of variants (under recurve for example - you have takedown, one piece, Olympic, hunting, ILF, DAS/Hoyt, horsebow)

IP Logged

Curious Novice
Tiro

Slinging: Getting the
most bang for you buck

South Carolina
Reply #18 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 10:31am

Blue Raja wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 10:16am:
The three styles that I use, Sycamore (helicopter) Balearic, and pirouette, are all sidearm styles.  For whatever reason, I really struggle w/ the overhand styles, i.e. figure 8, and I do not generate sufficient power underhand. So basically, I am a sidearm slinger.

I can’t seem to get the hand of overhand styles either.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #19 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 12:09pm

Overhand I really struggled with but it seems recently my overhand is better than my sidearm. I don't ever really use underhand.
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2018 at 4:25pm by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Novice
Tiro

most bang for you buck

South Carolina
Reply #20 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 1:22pm

I will keep working at it, then.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #21 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 12:31am

I try to release with a sort of downward slash but find the transition a bit awkward. If I'm slinging full-on, then the release comes out side.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #22 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 1:05pm

Quote:
It evokes the classical sound of other slinging styles.

you mean the daft, made up names Smiley

Sidearm and overhand have different applications.

basically if you are ONLY throwing at a fixed target that is always the same distance away. It doesn't matter what style you use.
It's just down to repetition.

If - however - you live in a world where you are more likely to sling at different targets at different distances, then a vertical release is essential.

huh - why ?

I'm glad you asked Smiley

To adjust distance aim with sidearm you not only need to add more or less power you also have to change your release point - as you are throwing at an angle to the target.

With a vertical release - your release point remains the same you just need to adjust for power.
Vertical release is the closest you get to being able to aim a sling.

With a sidearm release you can miss the target in a full 360 range.

With a vertical release you should either miss above or below the target. Never or rarely  to the side.

This also pans out in shooting at a fixed target.

In mallorca I pretty much only ever miss above or below the target -  and it's just down to lack of practice and the fact that I don't have consistent ammo.
I just can't be arsed lugging a bag of clay balls around with me.
It's why next year I'll be concentrating on the tennis ball comps.

The balearic guys can miss to the point that they score on the neighbouring target - this happens at least once during most competitions.
They also miss above, below and to either side.

Also set them at a target that's over 20 metres away and they generally struggle to get anywhere near it.

Most of them can make the distance, but after years slinging at a fixed distance, they really struggle to adjust to anything over 20 metres.
If they used a vertical release - it would not be anywhere as much of an issue.

That said - sidearm is great for pure distance where all you have to hit is an entire woodland or an advancing army Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #23 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 9:33pm

Agreed^

I like vertical whether it be figure-8 or Apache. I give all the credit to people that can remain consistent with side arm. When I was using side arm I was either on fire or way off. There seemed to be little in between. When I was using vertical in the form of figure 8 even my misses were relatively consistent in the form of forgetting to aim above the target for longer shots which eventually dug a divot out in front of my ground target.

Side arm was faster but as they say in archery, "A slow hit is better than a fast miss."

Not to say that it's impossible to hit with it, I'm just too lazy to put in that much work.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #24 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 2:38am

I agree with both of you Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #25 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 4:35am

I'll put my hand up to be the odd one out , I find both vertical and horizontal releases have a pluses and minuses with accuracy consistently , let's say we have a cross with the target in the middle , I think my horizontal release would hit the cross bar mainly when missing the target , but not very often the bottom post , if I went vertical I would hit the top and bottom posts but  not the cross bar. At a reasonable distance anyway. I don't find much difference just that figure 8 has a more repeatable starting position so it seems more consistent. Just my feeling on it . Slow hit is better than a slow miss ha ha

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 5:31am

Ich erklärte hier schon einmal Overhand und Sidehand.  Bei einer klassischen Overhand liegt mein Winkel bei 90°,bei Sidehand bei 180°.
Die Höhe wird korrigiert durch die Stellung des Rotors.
Im Prinzip ist es einfach. 😁.  Etwas schwieriger wird es, wenn sie speed schießen. Oder mit sehr viel Spin.  Dann werden Sie die beiden Techniken vermischen.  Auch wenn sie auf bewegliche Ziele schießen,  werden sie Techniken vermischen.
Deshalb sind diese drei Overhand, Sidehand, Underhand
Sehr wichtig zu können.  Ich beginne mit Anfänger immer mit unterhand.  Nur mit einer Drehung. Dann mit mehr Drehung.  Wichtig ist die Stellung ihrer Hüfte.  Sie Zielen nicht nur mit denn Augen.  Auch mit dem Bauch. Dann gehen Sie von einer underhand über in eine Sidehand.  Dann in Overhand.  Das schwierigste zu lernen ist das Spiel in der Hand.  Das ist sehr schwer zu erklären. 

Quote:
I already explained Overhand and Sidehand. For a classic overhand, my angle is 90 °, for sidehand 180 °.
The height is corrected by the position of the rotor.
In principle it is easy. 😁. It gets a bit harder when you shoot speed. Or with a lot of spin. Then you will mix the two techniques. Even if they shoot at moving targets, they will mix techniques.
That's why these three overhand, sidehand, underhand
Very important to be able to. I always start with underhand beginners. Only with one turn. Then with more rotation. Important is the position of her hip. They are not just aiming for the eyes. Also with the belly. Then go from an underhand to a sidehand. Then in overhand. The hardest thing to learn is the game in hand. This is very difficult to explain.
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2018 at 8:50am by Curious Aardvark »  

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #27 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 1:28pm

CA - yeah I mean the daft made-up names.  Like Sycamore style for example - it is part of the fun.

Unfortunately, my vertical release sends the missile straight into the ground - maybe good for hunting rabbits at close range - but not what I am after.  I sling for distance - disc golf with a tennis ball is a lot of fun.  I also enjoy launch rocks and watching them soar through the air.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions.  Very helpful

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #28 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 1:33pm

FWIW, if you use overhand with a short sling, it works really good for knocking things like atlatl darts and frisbees out of trees with tennis balls.  You can throw almost straight up.

That was  probably a lot more useful when guys on top of walls  were doing things like pouring boiling oil on the guys at the base but it still has uses... Grin

IP Logged

Curious Novice
Tiro

most bang for you buck

South Carolina
Reply #29 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 1:35pm

How short of a sling is needed for successful vertical slinging?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick)