Pumpkin contest! (Read 19190 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Pumpkin contest!
Reply #30 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 12:45pm

you guys have sme interesting pumpkins over there.
for about £1.50 you can get medium sized orange pumpkins here.

We get weird looking tiny ones, but all the big ones are the traditional orange jobs Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #31 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 4:51am

Ok so I had my first day free to try sling my pumpkin.
I'll be honest, it was a bad day. I started with some hard hitting ammo . Lead filled clay glandes, lead sinkers, river stones and plum bobs . Let's just say I lost them pretty quick , then I moved on to bad inconsistent limestone rocks. My grouping wasn't all that bad 90% of the shots would have been within a meter radius , 50% in a 50cm radius , but to hit that pumpkin was not coming fast . I had one glance at throw 55 then when I got to shot 120 I had to stop my phone went dead. I returned later and got one glance and one hit in the next 30 shots. Then I had to move spots because I wanted better rocks. The limestone broke on impact. I went to a new spot and only had 8 or so shots before the land owner came to the drive. That was the end of the attempt for today , now lightings bad and I have to try another day .

I'll post a few pics of the pumpkin and try put up a few vids .
Will depend on sizes but I'll try.

1 glance
2 glance
3 hit

image_102.jpeg (79 KB | 51 )
image_102.jpeg

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #32 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 4:55am

Some damage pics

image_103.jpeg (85 KB | 63 )
image_103.jpeg
image_104.jpeg (65 KB | 64 )
image_104.jpeg
image_105.jpeg (62 KB | 50 )
image_105.jpeg

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #33 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 4:59am

Video of hit
Notice dust cloud on impact
Need better rocks

Below

Shocked

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #34 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 5:14am

Good hit! It's a lot harder than it seems isn't it Cheesy Certainly makes for a good challenge. I'm thinking of going out a bit later today and having another go. Might not have my camerwoman this time but I do have a (small) tripod so I'll see what I can do.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #35 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 5:23am

Well honestly I have had harder accuracy challenges that I hit faster but I think the fact my iPhone was clearly in dangers way and I was trying to smash the pumpkin not just hit it made my nerves get the better of me .
Gonna probally try one more day if I can then I want to shoot it with my slingbow and recurve bow for a comparison on damage.
This pumpkins tough!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #36 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:26am

local shop is selling those 'white' pumpkins - calls then ghost pumpkins Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #37 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:04am

Went out quickly a little while ago and had another go. I wasn't much better accuracy-wise, LOTS of misses, but I did get one absolutely head on shot then followed that with a close miss and a hit to the cardboard box I was using as a stand. Due to no camera person, I had to just have the camera on a small tripod on the ground meaning I could either film myself or the pumpkin and I felt there was already far too much footage of me so focussed on the pumpkin. Cracked it pretty good Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlCjRb4-dy0

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #38 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:18am

Good stuff kto , I don't know if my pumpkin will crack like yours. Good shots

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #39 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:21am

Good videos guys! Is there anyway we could get the stats of your equipment? Sling length and ammo weight would be very interesting to know.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #40 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:27am

Well there were a lot of misses surrounding those hits and close calls. Also my aim is really terrible with Balearic. I think now I'm overthinking each throw so they keep going very far right. I might go back to practicing with tennis balls for a bit as I was worrying a bit about putting too much power in and it going too wild and into someone's garden. The bright side is that my fig 8 is actually getting pretty darn good.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #41 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:39am

Morphy wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:21am:
Good videos guys! Is there anyway we could get the stats of your equipment? Sling length and ammo weight would be very interesting to know.

I used the same sling both times, my very first sling (paracord and slingshot pouch), which is bout 147cm from retention loop to release knot. On the first attempt I used two different stones one being 191g the other being a monster 339g. This second attempt this morning I used one stone at 138g.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #42 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 7:50am

My hit was a limestone rock , estimated weight 50-100g .
Sling is my dyneema mersa style split pouch. 27inch pouch to hand.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #43 - Oct 12th, 2018 at 12:35am

Awesome!!!! Nice hits! I honestly can’t wait to put my own up as well as see the rest of these

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #44 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 12:17pm

I want to as well. Just have to figure out how to get 8 days from a 7 day week.

Really good videos so far guys. Pumpkins seem to be far tougher opponents than I had previous anticipated. I know Mersa has a plumb bob of destruction. And KTO don't you have some kind of massive steel ball bearing of doom laying around? This may call for heavier firepower........    Smiley Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, LightSlinger, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris)