Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Greetings From Michigan, USA (Read 3637 times)
Worldwalker
Tiro

So Many Slings, Only Two
Hands.

Michigan, USA
Re: Greetings From Michigan, USA
Reply #15 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 11:07am

These are also Rockman style slings. The top one I just finished a few days ago for my best friend since childhood. He remembers my early slinging days (and all the terror that accompanied them), and still has a sling I made him out of shoe laces and scrap leather in the mid 1990's. This sling is a belated birthday present for him, and is the basic, tried-and-true Rockman design. I wove the pouch looser, to make the pouch wider and less slippery. It is around 27 inches from center-pouch to the end of the finger loop. It turned out so well I almost want to keep it.

The bottom sling is made of 8 strands of tarred nylon bankline in a 4-strand round braid. The pouch and retention cord wrapping are of jute twine. The pouch halves are 4 strands wide, instead of 3, and is woven loosely for extra pouch width and grippy-ness. This sling was an experimental piece for using the two different materials, and the result is okay. I am not in love with it, though it functions great. It is about 25-26 inches form center-pouch to the end of the finger loop.

*Edit: Typos.

Patrick_s_Rockman.jpg (255 KB | 46 )
Patrick_s_Rockman.jpg

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #16 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 11:45am

Those are some really great slings! I stil haven't had a go at that type of woven pouch and I really should one of these days. I'll add it to the pile of things I want to do Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Worldwalker
Tiro

So Many Slings, Only Two
Hands.

Michigan, USA
Reply #17 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 12:06pm

Kick wrote on Oct 30th, 2018 at 11:45am:
Those are some really great slings! I stil haven't had a go at that type of woven pouch and I really should one of these days. I'll add it to the pile of things I want to do Cheesy

Thanks Otter. The longest part of the construction on the Rockman is the pouch weaving, but the resulting sling is great. It keeps me coming back, at least.

IP Logged

Worldwalker
Tiro

So Many Slings, Only Two
Hands.

Michigan, USA
Reply #18 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 12:39pm

The top sling is the second Rockman I made. I used 8 strands of super-thin Jute twine for the cords and the pouch warp. The cords are braided in a 4-strand round braid. The pouch weft is made with normal-sized jute twine. The pouch halves are rather narrow and tight. After this sling I began weaving my Rockman pouches looser. It is about 27-28 inches from center-pouch to the end of the finger loop and throws rather well.

The bottom sling is my first try at a Balearic-style sling. It uses a 3-strand flat braid made with 9 strands of jute twine.  The pouch and finger loop are covered in pig skin leather. This finger look is really comfortable. There is no release knot on this sling, just an elongated release cord. This sling is about 22 inches from center-pouch to the end of the finger loop. It works great for larger stones.

IP Logged

Worldwalker
Tiro

So Many Slings, Only Two
Hands.

Michigan, USA
Reply #19 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 12:48pm

The top sling is made from a white handkerchief folded in half long-ways twice and knotted at the ends, with paracord for the cords. I made this in 2000 when I lived in Oregon and had no sling at the time. It is 6 or so inches longer than my current slings, and really has some power to it. It's ugly, hurls like a dream.

The bottom sling is the first I made entirely of paracord and is based on a pattern I found on this site before it's face lift. It is shorter than my average sling length of 26-27 inches, and works great with smaller projectiles (due to the narrowness of the pouch, larger projectiles tend to slip out). I often carry this sling in my possibles pouch while in the outdoors or at Cub and Boy Scout activities.

*Edit: Spelling
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2018 at 3:43pm by Worldwalker »  

IP Logged

Worldwalker
Tiro

So Many Slings, Only Two
Hands.

Michigan, USA
Reply #20 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 1:00pm

The top sling is woven from a single piece of paracord from a pattern I found online. Is a little shorter than my normal 26-27 inch sling average, but works great. I wove the pouch to be cupped-shape, and so it has problems hanging on to projectiles that are larger than the inside of the cup. But when using smaller projectiles, this this thing is a amazing! It will send a small pebble as far as a larger stone out of a much longer sling.

On the bottom of the picture is my first Apache style sling. I followed the Apache style sling instructions from this site's tutorials section to make it. It is made of 6 strands of tarred nylon bank line using a 3-strand flat braid. The pouch is pigskin leather and the finger loop is covered in pigskin leather. This sling is one of the most effective I have ever used. My only problem with it is that the nylon bank line abrades quickly slinging the railroad granite chunks I often hurl. This is definitely a design that I will use more in the future. It is 26.5 inches from center-pouch to the end of the finger loop. the covered finger loop makes this sling very comfortable to use.

*Edit: Spelling
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2018 at 11:20am by Worldwalker »  

IP Logged

Worldwalker
Tiro

So Many Slings, Only Two
Hands.

Michigan, USA
Reply #21 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 1:04pm

This sling is all leather. The cords are leather boot lace, and the pouch is couch upholstery scrap. It is pretty long for me, probably over 30 inches. It is very similar to the first sling I made in 1994.

All_Leather.jpg (209 KB | 48 )
All_Leather.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man)