Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
To: Balkan Slingers (Read 3616 times)
Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

To: Balkan Slingers
Sep 20th, 2018 at 10:52am

The next month I'll be travelling in the Balkan peninsula. Anyone in the area who wishes to meet a fellow slinger, sling and exchange ideas PM me .

I hope to visit Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia Herzegovina, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, Bulgaria

Smiley

IP Logged

theostravos
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Re: To: Balkan Slingers
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2018 at 6:16pm

Sarosh wrote on Sep 20th, 2018 at 10:52am:
The next month I'll be travelling in the Balkan peninsula. Anyone in the area who wishes to meet a fellow slinger, sling and exchange ideas PM me .

I hope to visit Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia Herzegovina, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, Bulgaria

Smiley

Do have a perfect time in Balkans. Just for the record though, always clarify if you intent to visit North Macedonia(Skopia or FYROM) or Greece. Regarding the latter, I am afraid that I am the only one I know. Even though I heard (but never seen) that in Greek part of Macedonia, there are still some Muslim Villagers that remember how to use the Sling. Mainly to scare the predators of their flocks. Else, In Balkan mountains there still are shepherds who still use this. Remember only that here the passions and hates are always hot. Greeks with Turkeys, Albanians with Serbians or Greeks, Bossnians with Serbians... Just bear peacefully our madness Grin. We are not dangerous to foreigners. Smiley Oh and wherever you go, DO drink a lot of wine. On this peninsula, wine is the blood of our mountains whistle Smiley. Have fun!

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 11:19am

i'm gonna visit the yugoslav macedonia, not the greek.
didn't know about the wine . Cool
i have no worries, people are good they are just afraid of the unknown, governments are the problem.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 3:19am

Passed through Serbia . Now I'm in Croatia pinned in a tent by rain. With hitchhiking  I don't get enough time to sling .
Still none pm me, seems like Balkans haven't got any commited slingers.

Other than slinging I'm having a great time ,met some crazy guys along the way  Grin

PS : no videos until i return home ...

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 1:46pm

Currently in Podgorica, Montenegro  Cheesy
Spent some time slinging at Morača river near ribnica bridge perfect location for slinging

Also birds seem stupid here. got some close shots at them they flew away only when the stone landed on rocks and made noise, otherwise a water splash or skip didn't bother them they don't even flinch. Huh

IMG_20181021_171505.jpg (6761 KB | 75 )
IMG_20181021_171505.jpg
IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 1:52pm

That looks like a great beach Cheesy I've found the same on Lauttasaari island here in Southern Finland. Multiple times I've had to stop to allow the swans to get out the way. They lazily float on past despite the rocks splashing all around for the last hour. they really don't care. Once I realised I had been slinging OVER some smaller birds that I hadn't noticed going around the rocks on the beach. Sling whirling around and they just did not care.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

ThracianSlinger26
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Romania
Reply #6 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 8:31am

Please,come to Romania! Great food,extremly good wine,nice people,great places to visit.....I am Romanian,lived here my whole life,so i know my stuff. Sadly,a lot of corruption is going on right now,but our country is great. Come here during christmas,especially in Bucovina. Even though we are an orthodox country,we still have a whole lot of pagan traditions (i mean,in Ruginoasa,Iasi,we have a weird tradition where the men from 2 villages put on thick,giant,sheepskin masks,and beat eachother with giant cudgels/shillelaghs. This happens on the new year's eve. It is said the the men from the village that won the fight will have good luck the rest of the new year. I could send you some links,if you'd like). I hope you'll come here!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 10:14am

ThracianSlinger26 wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 8:31am:
i mean,in Ruginoasa,Iasi,we have a weird tradition where the men from 2 villages put on thick,giant,sheepskin masks,and beat eachother with giant cudgels/shillelaghs. This happens on the new year's eve. It is said the the men from the village that won the fight will have good luck the rest of the new year. I could send you some links,if you'd like

Wow that sounds awesome Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 10:55am

@
ThracianSlinger26

Thanks for the invitation! Cheesy
I'm sorry, I should have mentioned it, the trip ended 10days ago.
Now I know whom I'll PM if I'm in Romania Smiley

send a link I'm curious.

about the trip: I met no fellow slingers... Sad

IP Logged

ThracianSlinger26
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Romania
Reply #9 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 12:05pm

Well,here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX5lzQy4Djw
WARNING:a bit graphic here and there,and loud "war cries" if we could call them so.
I know it makes us look like some dumb,club wielding and war loving caveman,but it's just on of those weird,old,barbarian traditions we like to keep alive. Also,it's a good workout. I mean,the cudgels weigh about 2-3 kg,the masks are about 5-6 kg (mind you,you need to keep that thing on your head). Theoretically,this should be done only with men that have these masks (which kinda double as helmets),as these will protect you against these cudgels,which means there wouldn't be any casualties,but as always,there will be some stupid guy that goes into the fight without the mask,so there is the potenital that some people die.....And that's why this tradition is illegal now.....I mean,they still meet up with clubs and masks,but no fight and a load of police around. Men from the countryside are extremly tough,especially shepherds (we call them Ciobani,for the plural,and Cioban for the singular),which cary a 20 kg sheepskin cloak on their back (we call it Sarica),and a club (the romanian words for clubs are Bata,Ghioagha and Maciuca)which they use as a weapon/walking stick. My great grandfather (may he rest in peace),used to tell me stories about shepherds fighting and killing bears,just with those clubs and a knife. They also fought armed thieves on a daily basis. In medieval time they were often called into battle,because of their fighting skills. Here are some photos:The shepherd in the picture is 101 years old,he still works,he still goes up in the mountain with the sheep. The second picture shows a typical romanian shepherd's club. The Dacian spirit lives on!

61926919.jpg (99 KB | 49 )
61926919.jpg
bata_12160400.jpg (80 KB | 66 )
bata_12160400.jpg

IP Logged

ThracianSlinger26
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Romania
Reply #10 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 12:07pm

If you didn't notice,they also have huge dogs!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #11 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 2:35pm

I love old traditions like this. It's really fascinating and that is a damn big dog Cheesy

IP Logged

ThracianSlinger26
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Romania
Reply #12 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 5:02pm

Well, they were and they still are bred to fight bears, wolves, and so on. They have to be big, tough, and rugged, or they will not survive against predators of any kind.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #13 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 5:47pm

ThracianSlinger26 wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 8:31am:
Please,come to Romania! Great food,extremly good wine,nice people,great places to visit.....I am Romanian,lived here my whole life,so i know my stuff. Sadly,a lot of corruption is going on right now,but our country is great. Come here during christmas,especially in Bucovina. Even though we are an orthodox country,we still have a whole lot of pagan traditions (i mean,in Ruginoasa,Iasi,we have a weird tradition where the men from 2 villages put on thick,giant,sheepskin masks,and beat eachother with giant cudgels/shillelaghs. This happens on the new year's eve. It is said the the men from the village that won the fight will have good luck the rest of the new year. I could send you some links,if you'd like). I hope you'll come here!

Back when Iwas away from this forum and the slinging hobby, I was a traveling  Environmental, Health and Safety Contractor. I spent a week in Ploesti in mid December a few years ago. I agree with your assessmet of your country. Romania was one of only two countries where I felt like I was at home. Just wished I had the time to see more of it, and to know there were Romanian slingers. When I was traveling, I always had one of Aussie’s slings wrapped up in my carry on backpack.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #14 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 5:56pm

ThracianSlinger26 wrote on Nov 11th, 2018 at 12:05pm:
Well,here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX5lzQy4Djw
WARNING:a bit graphic here and there,and loud "war cries" if we could call them so.
I know it makes us look like some dumb,club wielding and war loving caveman,but it's just on of those weird,old,barbarian traditions we like to keep alive. Also,it's a good workout. I mean,the cudgels weigh about 2-3 kg,the masks are about 5-6 kg (mind you,you need to keep that thing on your head). Theoretically,this should be done only with men that have these masks (which kinda double as helmets),as these will protect you against these cudgels,which means there wouldn't be any casualties,but as always,there will be some stupid guy that goes into the fight without the mask,so there is the potenital that some people die.....And that's why this tradition is illegal now.....I mean,they still meet up with clubs and masks,but no fight and a load of police around. Men from the countryside are extremly tough,especially shepherds (we call them Ciobani,for the plural,and Cioban for the singular),which cary a 20 kg sheepskin cloak on their back (we call it Sarica),and a club (the romanian words for clubs are Bata,Ghioagha and Maciuca)which they use as a weapon/walking stick. My great grandfather (may he rest in peace),used to tell me stories  Cheesyabout shepherds fighting and killing bears,just with those clubs and a knife. They also fought armed thieves on a daily basis. In medieval time they were often called into battle,because of their fighting skills. Here are some photos:The shepherd in the picture is 101 years old,he still works,he still goes up in the mountain with the sheep. The second picture shows a typical romanian shepherd's club. The Dacian spirit lives on!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Cool  Cool Cool NICE !!! Course I can’t talk, I love training with an Irish Shillelagh and quartertaffs. I really love seeing other cultures ethnic Stick Styles, even if it is for a limited context like this.  One of the things I have learned in my almost 50 years on this planet is you don not mess with the old time traditional Shepard’s of any culture Smiley

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)