Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Questions about clay glandes shapes (Read 3327 times)
Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Questions about clay glandes shapes
Reply #15 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 2:14am

yes we got a little off track
Frondeur wrote on Sep 13th, 2018 at 7:35am:
Now I'm coming to what was the point of this post: pouch alignment can't be perfect, and the glande has, with its own properties, the ability to more or less realign itself. And now I'm getting lost, so what follows is just guesses:

for a projectile to realign itself , it needs to has it's CP(center of pressure) behind it's CM(center of mass).
the spin means the projectile has angular momentum and  will only keep the axis of rotation stable like a gyroscope.

so if CP is behind CM you can throw with or without spin and the shot will realign itself eventually.

if CP is in front of CM then you got to think it over and experiment.
the first thing i would consider about making an aerodynamically stable bullet would be to keep the CP as close to CM as possible (or add fins to move it behind CM)
then add spin (how much? i don't know)

for retaining the kinetic energy at long range you'll need:
small surface area (thin projectile)
high mass for that area, means long projectile , too long and thin will be destabilised easily. also high density material
for lowering drag you need a boat tail ,it seems that the nose shape doesn't change the drag a lot.(conical vs ogive vs parabolic but it changes CP and CM position= stability)
you could add dimples so the drag lowers at lower reynold numbers, or have an overall mass which you can throw fast enough that you get into that area.

interesting read:
http://www.aem.umn.edu/people/faculty/flaten/Rocketry_Remote_Lessons_Fall_2017/B...

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #16 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 5:15am

Sounds like an arrow

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Frondeur

I'm the lead slinger in
a hard rock band

France
Reply #17 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 10:09am

That's the kind of info that looks rich! thanks Sarosh.

Right now I don't understand what CP exactly is, but I'm off for some research.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)