Send Topic Print
Hurricane Prep (Read 1604 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Hurricane Prep
Sep 12th, 2018 at 12:33pm

With Florence about to demolish part of our east coast I thought I'd list some things that I do to prepare for a hurricane.  Here in New Jersey we rarely bear the full brunt of a major hurricane but we often get the leftovers and sometimes we get direct hits. Here are some simple things that you can do so you don't get caught with your pants down.
1.  The biggest mistake one can make is to procrastinate.  Do your supply gathering at least four or five days before the hurricane hits.  The closer you get to the hurricane's arrival the more jammed, insane, and empty the stores and gas stations become.  The same with bugging out.  Don't wait until the last minute.  If you leave a day or two before everyone else you'll avoid the worst traffic, gas shortages, and price gouging associated with an evacuation.
2.  Clean up your yard.  Anything can become a missile in a 120mph wind.  Take down your bird feeders, ornaments, and such.  Secure your trash cans so they don't end up in the next county.  Tie your boats down.  Anything loose might be blown to kingdom come.
3.  This is an important one that I learned after our tornado three years ago.  Have cash on hand.  Debit and credit cards are useless if the power is out.  Digital cash registers and ATMs don't work.  What ever cash you can muster even if it's just a hundred or two, have on hand.
4.  Some important items to have: extra batteries, bottled water, candles, non perishable foods, extra flashlights, plenty of lighters.... this list could probably go on forever.
5.  Even though there will be water everywhere during and after a hurricane clean water will be rare.  Sewers overflow and water systems become filthy and unusable.   Fill your bathtub up with water.  You can use this for washing and flushing. 
6.  If it looks like you're going to take some high winds and you don't have the time or materials to plywood over your windows just taping them up with duct tape will strengthen them and might prevent them from blowing in.
7.  Move your car or cars away from tall  old trees. They won't be completely safe no matter where you put them but you can at least get them out of the most danger.
8. Pray. At the very least it can't hurt. Florence is a beast.

Florence.JPG (42 KB | 36 )
Florence.JPG

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Hurricane Prep
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 1:46pm

Well said RM. Good luck to those of you dealing with the storm. Keep in touch. Remember most drownings in hurricanes occur in vehicles. If you can't be certain how deep an area is don't chance it.

(That picture looks surprisingly round! Someone lied to me...)

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 1:57pm

The cash thing is a good thing to consider just generally. Recently I killed my card because I thought it was lost (found it in one of my bags about half a minute after I got off the phone with the bank...) and then before my card arrived, my girlfriend's card got nixed because of the British Airways hacking/data leak thing. Her parents, who would probably be able to lend us some money that we could then pay back, were out of the country so we were left with the money in our wallets and that was it. Both our bus cards were running out at the same time and we still had to buy food. By sheer chance and luck, I had lent some euros to my dad earlier this year when he came over to visit which he payed me back in cash which meant I had about 200€ in a draw which just saved us and got us through to today where I now finally have a card again. I'm thinking I should keep more physical cash around because even if the electricity is running that doesn't necessarily mean you can get at your money easily.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 6:48am

Something I heard, put all your valuables in the dishwasher. It's sturdy and waterproof, so things should be safe in it.

For the ones out there who don't trust the media or science, just stay put.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 1:38pm

Good tip, slingbadger.
    As it looks now North Carolina will get the worst of the winds.  Once she hits the coast Florence will be a slow mover and will dump profound amounts of rain where ever she goes... up to 40".  There is a chance that she'll stall off of the coast of NC.  That would be the worst case for the rest of the east coast including Jersey.  At that point all bets are off and Florence can hit anywhere or become a coast hugger and cause biblical damage. So far it's not looking too bad for Jersey. We'll see.  I just got back from walking Pandora and already we're getting a little light drizzle.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 4:40pm

I'm just saying if you get all "you will die if you stay because Category 4".  But then you maintain that level of "we'll all die" as the storm loses strength I do start taking it less seriously.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 5:36pm

perpetualstudent wrote on Sep 14th, 2018 at 4:40pm:
I'm just saying if you get all "you will die if you stay because Category 4".  But then you maintain that level of "we'll all die" as the storm loses strength I do start taking it less seriously.

I've noticed News channels love hurricanes. It's great for ratings. Like money in their pockets. Not that they shouldn't hype big storms but there is definitely incentive to hype as much as possible.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 2:40pm

Morphy wrote on Sep 14th, 2018 at 5:36pm:
perpetualstudent wrote on Sep 14th, 2018 at 4:40pm:

I've noticed News channels love hurricanes. It's great for ratings. Like money in their pockets. Not that they shouldn't hype big storms but there is definitely incentive to hype as much as possible.

Agreed.  The Weather Channel and News networks love to sensationalize hurricanes as much as possible.  They make every one seem like the end of the world.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 2:41pm

Update:  New Jersey didn't even get its feathers ruffled by Florence.  We were very lucky.   We're supposed to get what ever is left over from her starting on Tuesday.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)