Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hypothetical space slinging (Read 1274 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Hypothetical space slinging
Sep 2nd, 2018 at 3:28am

So I have a few questions based on a conversation I had with a friend recently.
Basically the scenario is you are in space not moving in zero gravity and a vacuum.
You have a magical space suit that makes you not die and any other ill effects (or your a cyborg or robot , whatever).

First question , can you move you body parts? ie arms legs etc.
We said yes.
Second question , can you move in space ? Ie in a direction away from your origin
We said no

So that led onto using a bow in space.
Question 3.
We said you could pull it back therefore release the arrow away from you and it would also move you back in the oppisite direction just very slow.

So now the final one that we could not decide what happens .
Question 4
Slinging in space.
Can you spin it around , does that spin you?
Will that add to more and more velocity ?
Will it push you back on release ?
We got lost .

What's your guys thoughts ?

Math and science me !!!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Re: Hypothetical space slinging
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 7:17am

You are correct in 1-3 for sure

4 is interesting.

Spinning the sling wouldn't spin you round exactly, but your arm, and through that your body would still experience the tension force from the cords. This would induce some small circular movement (not rotation) in your body which would be opposite in direction to the projectile.

I think there would also be some back and forth small rotation in the body which would stop when the projectile was released.

It will push back on release same as with any other projectile.

I haven't really done the maths on this or looked at problems like this for a while so it might be wrong. Just initial thoughts.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 9:47am

If it pushes you on release why does it move you when spinning it? if you had no sling you wouldn't move until release ??

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 9:53am

I suggest it's secret option number 5.

Which is space isn't real, the Earth is flat, gravity doesn't exist (yes that's an actual belief I #!$@ you not) and our Reptoid overlords simply would not allow slings in the space matrix.

Upon discovering this glitch your body would be immediately liquified and fed to the rest of us who are, even now, being held captive and unresponsive. Used as a power source by the Mandroids from Zeti Reticuli even though the body puts out about as much power as a light bulb so that plot point is sort of ridiculous.

So ridiculous you might say....that it MUST be true.  Cool

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 11:11am

Mersa wrote on Sep 2nd, 2018 at 9:47am:
If it pushes you on release why does it move you when spinning it? if you had no sling you wouldn't move until release ??

Think of the projectile and the person as disconnected bodies that apply forces to each other, when you swing round the sling there is an inwards force on the projectile towards the rtn centre (as with all circular motion), but there is also an equal and opposite force from the projectile onto your hand/arm (this is like the tension you feel in the cord). That tension applies an equal force to your hand and thus body (since your arm is effectively rigid in powering the sling). The force is still there on earth but is basically absorbed into the ground through friction at your feet.

If you had no sling then you wouldn't apply force to the projectile nor the projectile to you. I presume you mean if you threw it by hand?

Well it's the same principle, you would actually move throughout the acceleration of the projectile before launch. This is because your hand/arm with the projectile weight at the end are pushed forward, your body is pushed back, if you didn't let go of the projectile then the motion would simply be stopped as the projectile/hand/arm were pulled in.

You can get a feel for this if you sit on a rotating office chair, if you swing something heavy in your arm it pushes your body backwards slightly, but then as you stop that object from moving it applies the reverse force and you come to rest, it's only if you let go of the object that you keep moving.

Morphy wrote on Sep 2nd, 2018 at 9:53am:
I suggest it's secret option number 5.

Which is space isn't real, the Earth is flat, gravity doesn't exist (yes that's an actual belief I #!$@ you not) and our Reptoid overlords simply would not allow slings in the space matrix.

Upon discovering this glitch your body would be immediately liquified and fed to the rest of us who are, even now, being held captive and unresponsive. Used as a power source by the Mandroids from Zeti Reticuli even though the body puts out about as much power as a light bulb so that plot point is sort of ridiculous.

So ridiculous you might say....that it MUST be true.  Cool

Good points, I want to change my answer  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 12:32am

Swinging a sling is no different from the earth rotating around the sun. You are just replacing gravity with a string. Each will move in proportion to their mass.
If you don’t believe me...
F=m*a
F is the sling tension which is equal and opposite for you and the ammo. Your mass and the ammo mass are fixed... solving the equations for you and the sling ammo will prove that acceleration is proportional to the ratio of the masses.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 12:53am

... now here’s the real problem. The earth and sun are spheres, but slingers aren’t. If you try to swing a rock over your head, you generate a torque that will make you wobble around your center of mass. When you release the stone, you will tumble head over heels in the opposite direction from the throw.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 5:32pm

An arrow may not fly right in space, there's nothing really keeping the archer's paradox from impeding the arrow's flight.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris)