Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
State with most slingers? (Read 4385 times)
Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
State with most slingers?
Sep 2nd, 2018 at 12:19am

So I was thinking and this popped into my head, anyone know which US state has the highest density of slingers? Of course we can only estimate, but from what I’ve seen on this site, it seems like it might be Texas?

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: State with most slingers?
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 9:47am

Well, if by slingers you mean participants on this forum, we’ve got Austin, Houston, and San Antonio covered. Us Texans tend to be pretty proud of our state though, so it might just be that we talk about where we’re from more than other slingers Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 10:00am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Sep 2nd, 2018 at 9:47am:
Well, if by slingers you mean participants on this forum, we’ve got Austin, Houston, and San Antonio covered. Us Texans tend to be pretty proud of our state though, so it might just be that we talk about where we’re from more than other slingers Grin

While that is definitely true, it also might be true that Texas is up there at the top. Big state, lots of people and we are top heavy on the "prepper/survivalist" pyramid if such a thing existed. So that would be my guess.

Second option could be the state of California. It's big, lots of people and most are just crazy enough to think slinging fairly normal.

Last possibility would the state of confusion as it seems generally just a nice place to end up as you get older.

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 10:34am

New York (Upstate/Central/Northern) might be up there as well. I know I've gotten a body of about 20 or so people slinging there, but I believe I'm the only one of them active on the forum.

That's going to be the real rub, as Nooneofconsequence mentioned. There's a difference between representation here and actual body of slingers.

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 12:20pm

new jersey - ratman has been collecting disciples for over 10 years Smiley
(think he lives in new jersey lol)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 1:40pm

I've done my best but I'm not sure New Jersey would rank among the top.

IP Logged

Flint Austone
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 2:01pm

I've gotten about a dozen people slinging so far. Half like it but arent too serious, the other half are hooked and on their way to becoming addicts

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #7 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 7:49pm

I wonder how this compares in turn with other countries.

In the UK there's me, CA and David Morningstar as far as I know.

We could make a slinging world map with members pinned at their home locations.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 9:29pm

there used to be a members map with pins...

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #9 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 10:22pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Sep 2nd, 2018 at 12:20pm:
new jersey - ratman has been collecting disciples for over 10 years Smiley
(think he lives in new jersey lol)

LOL,  That may be because the sling is the only projectile weapon that politicians aren’t trying to outlaw in New Jersey.  Same in California, New York, and the UK for that matter. Very few Texans (preppers or otherwise) would trade in their guns for a rock chucker. 

@Morphy: As far as Texas having a lot of preppers... maybe? They can be found anywhere but seem to concentrate more in the Northwest US where there are lower population densities. Either way, I think the sling really appeals more to the bushcraft historical crowd rather than the societal collapse types. If you are convinced that SHTF is imminent, you don’t have years to devote to mastering the sling.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #10 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 11:33pm

I think that I am the only sling enthusiast in Colorado.  I have given slings away.  Done impromptu tennis ball demos at the park. Played sling golf at various disc golf and regular golf courses.  Offered slings and lessons to local outdoor group. No one is even remotely interested. 

When I first contacted the Anthropology Club as a volunteer, I gave them a choice of slings or archery.  Archery was the overwhelming selection.  We will start there and hopefully work our way back to slings.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #11 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 3:24am

There are at least two Finns (well I don't have citizenship yet but it's something I'm working on Cheesy )

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #12 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 6:34am

Nj has a bunch of singers, they just are not on the forum.  Maine doesn't have too many, I am one of the few but I have met a few that are interested. Colorado has a survivalist school called 'pale track's survival  he slings. I actually gave some slings to Hunter gatherer Matt Graham  who is in Utah

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 7:38am

as timpa is one of the finns - I reckon he counts as an entire one man post apocalypse army.

There are actually quite a number of slingers in the uk, just not on the forum or not regular posters on the forum.

The Vikings renactment group have a significant amount of slingers and - as far as I know - are the only group that practices and drills volley slinging in groups.

I've met up with quite a few uk slingers over the years. A friend of mine is single handedly recruiting a large proportion of the gun dog fraternity in the area. Which is great as she sells them my slings Smiley

The 3d printed ones are particularly good for dog slobbered tennis balls or wet tennis balls retrieved from a lake Smiley 

The issue - even in england where we're all fairly close together - is getting slingers to get off their arses and actually go somewhere to meet other slingers.

I'm hoping to put on an international meeting next year, and I can pretty much guarentee that we'll get more slingers from spain and germany than travelling within the uk.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 9:41am

@Morphy: As far as Texas having a lot of preppers... maybe? They can be found anywhere but seem to concentrate more in the Northwest US where there are lower population densities. Either way, I think the sling really appeals more to the bushcraft historical crowd rather than the societal collapse types. If you are convinced that SHTF is imminent, you don’t have years to devote to mastering the sling.

You and I know that but alot of the weekend warrior  preppers don't. I think there's probably a good minority of the SHTF club who make one up and use it a little with the idea that when society collapses they will suddenly become David the Shepherd/Sling God and keep themselves fed. I know a few preppers and some of them have that mindset.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, Chris)