Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Greek NASA (Read 926 times)
chakrachucker
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Greek NASA
Aug 27th, 2018 at 2:21am

A fast cricket-bowler or baseball pitcher does 100mph which exceeds the traffic speed limit . If his 2ft arm is just 6 times longer he is at the sound barrier ,  and double that is a rifle bullet Mach2  .  16 times that is escape velocity for earth orbit.   About 170 yds / 150m. long arm.

So you get the Greek army pulling a rope with gearing at 4mph which needs 25:1 to reach 100mph at the inner arm. Mach 33 at the end of the arm and release the Zeus javelin at climbing angle .

IP Logged

chakrachucker
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Greek NASA
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 5:19pm

quote: "One estimate I have seen is that an elephant can pull up to 9 tons = 18000 lb. However, to calculate horsepower, the speed of pulling has to be factored in. Let us postulate that the elephant can pull 18000 lb, against a coefficient of friction of 0.5, at a rate of 5 feet/second. so 18000 x 0.5 x 5 / 550 = 81.8 HP. Seems to be “in the ballpark”?

"560 hp, the key is,torque at low rpm tho. Think of a ship engine, it's slow but has immense torque."

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 8:34am

With regards to the first point- yes- IF you can maintain the same angular velocity. That's a big IF.

There's a lot of limiting factors, mainly anything with any respectable mass launched at mach anything (let alone mach 33) will put an insane level of stress on the components that are used to launch it. Just to accelerate the huge 150m lever to baseball pitcher level angular velocity would require tremendous torque and definitely destroy whatever lever or motor was used long before it gets there. You can make the components stronger but then you will require more force because they will be heavier, and so on.

Additionally, at high speed various frictions like air resistance become very significant. So power doesn't really scale to the speed achieved. For example, a bugatti now has 1500hp but it's definitely not 10x faster than a 150hp car, more like 2x faster.

IP Logged

chakrachucker
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 4:56pm

You're one of those negative people . Let's be confident shall we.  A Greek missile could hit Persians it just needs a good attitude .

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 10:03pm

And the correct altitude.   Grin 

So, would you go for a high lobbed shot where the projectile gets up to the stratosphere or a line drive shot with just enough arc and velocity to clear the mountains between them?

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 5:01am

What you need my friend is a rail gun.

Can fire projectiles 3000m/s or more, getting towards mach 10. I'm not sure what the range would be though- probably less than 100 miles.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 8:08am

I like railguns. Any gun that fires a projectile so fast it sets the air on fire is fine by me.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Chris)