Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How deep does a spear need to go to stand upright ? (Read 1450 times)
Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

How deep does a spear need to go to stand upright ?
Aug 26th, 2018 at 6:32pm

So, another question for the engineers here. Take an spear, 2.5m long, with a 350g head, and 500g butt, made of ash. Let's say I'm sticking it in dry soil. How deep should it go to stand and not topple over ?

I ask because I wonder if the spike at the bottom of polearms is really to stand the thing upright.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: How deep does a spear need to go to stand upright ?
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 6:56pm

It's going to depend on the soil.

I use 7 (slightly over 2m) foot darts with my atlatl, they are 1/2 inch thick (13mm).  Points are way lighter and there isn't a butt point.  There are rather large fletchs, which increase surface area and make them easier to knock over with a breeze. 

I can normally get them to stay upright if I stick them about slightly more an inch (25-40mm) deep in a loamy soil.  About twice that in sandy soil and they don't stay upright very well at all in hard soil.  They fall at the slightest breeze.  Heavy clay soils depend on how wet the soil is, about the same for loamy soil if wet and you usually can't jab it in at all if the soil is dry.  They go in about half an inch (13mm) and stop.  And the clay cracks out around it and the dart falls over.

My darts are probably about i/3 the weight of a spear you are talking about but hopefully it will help some.

IP Logged

chakrachucker
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 9:30pm

It's not the same thing but from memory Masai lion-hunters used to plant a spear butt when a lion charged them. That took the shock of the force but was at a low angle . So the guy would need to be sure of his ground , so to speak.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 9:25pm

It depends on the side load also. A perfectly balanced spear with just the tip in the dirt will stand until the wind blows it over. There’s a lot of variables that would affect it.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

chakrachucker
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 9:37pm

In a concrete room it would stand clear of the floor until you shut the door or traffic / earth tremors tipped it. It would stand on a rock asteroid out of solar wind or in a cave there.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 9:52pm

@chakra... If you’re throwing spears in space, you have to decide which direction is up.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

chakrachucker
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 11:22pm

not in Australia which is 15 hours ahead of Texas and its South Pole base off the planet.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 6:54am

as far as polearms go, had a chat to a fellow in a civil war renactment group (uk civil war) few years back.
And what they used to do was kind of wrap their arms round the top part of the pole, lean into the pole with the butt on the ground and  go to sleep.

So the bottom spike is most likely there to:
1) stop the soldiers falling over when they were taking a na.
2)Help dig in against the impact of a horse.

pretty much Not for standing the pole upright.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

chakrachucker
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 7:36am

1) and 2) were at different times then?

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #9 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 6:20am

With a spike at the bottom, you can also stab fallen enemies while the line advance, to keep them from rising from your back to stab you from behind.

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris)