Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Canadian ice missile (Read 733 times)
chakrachucker
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Canadian ice missile
Aug 23rd, 2018 at 7:57am

Apart from active volcano bungee-jumping , ice hockey is the bravest stuff known. Beefsteak as body armor takes some of the flak but a goal-tender gets tenderised. One had a sonic boom above the right eye which can now hold a pencil or spare sling-projectile in a puck-shape groove.

Slingers must occasionally lob a shot onto human skull . Or any weapon practise can go wrong and crack bone.  Has anyone seen this and does the bone slice like split wood or just break and fracture? It's a serious q involving real forensic research on human skull.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Canadian ice missile
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 4:02pm

Welcome, chakrachucker;
  There's lots of good info here. 
https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1032&context=anthroth...
Chapter seven covers your question.
For some reason this url won't post properly, at least on my computer.  It leaves the end of the word anthrotheses off of the address for some reason. You might have to type out the address rather than just clicking on it.
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2018 at 7:29am by Curious Aardvark »  

IP Logged

chakrachucker
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 7:34pm

Yes a stone at speed smashes bone as does a musket-ball , and 1/4 , 1/3 inch steel ball . A boomerang is about 1/4 inch thick with bi-convex bullet-nose profile .  Wood can't be sharpened like steel swords and wood can't have the same strength-dimensions as steel . But experts have published that wood cuts like steel.  A "gash" in bone is not scientific , flesh gets gashed but bone has fractures .  This appears to be an excision across cortical bone by a sword:
Kaakutja, Perhaps the First Known Boomerang Victim - The New York ...
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/18/science/first-boomerang-victim-australia.html
Oct 17, 2016 - The skeletal remains of Kaakutja, an aboriginal man who scientists think was killed ... A gash in the skull of Kaakutja was probably caused by a boomerang ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------

On slings , maybe a snake strikes by coiling its neck similar to sling throw. I noticed a brown snake watching my hand weeding in long grass. It kills with 2mg venom which is in 2nd place to the  Inland Taipan (Oxyuranus microlepidotus) , Australia at 1.1 mg.This has the  most toxic venom of any snake. Maximum yield recorded (for one bite) is 110mg. That would probably be enough to kill over 100 people or 250,000 mice.
So i swung a 10ft garden-hosepipe with a screw and lead wire on the end . The momentum was amazing and impressed the snake which stopped breathing .  It beat my strike with boomerang on a forensic plastic skull which hardly dented the rubber skin but the machete mashed it.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2018 at 7:29am

fixed link Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Chris)