Reply #16 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 9:10am

Perhaps maybe I could burn logos.

IP Logged

Flint Austone
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Re: LOTR Themed Slings
Reply #17 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 9:56am

I know its not one that looks like it could exist in middle earth but it was fun to make.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #18 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 9:39am

Narsil. That is so cool. I second the white tree of Gondor. That would be a good design for a sling. Also don't forget the horse of Rohan. Being that I'm a major nerd for all things Hobbit/LOTR I made a list for a few more-

The Eye of Sauron
The Celtic style knotting and framing seen in Meduseld (https://youtu.be/paA4D8qV9wY)
Sting
Anduril
Smaug
The Witch Kings Crown/Helmet https://youtu.be/Y5w5LYS3KIY
Elven Script

IP Logged

Flint Austone
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 2:04pm

Its up for sale if anyone wants it  Smiley

I'd keep it but im trying to thin my collection down... So i can justify making more lol

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #20 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 10:38am

I was in a second-hand shop earlier today and found a coiled up bit of thin rope of some sort of natural material (I think it's coconut fibre? Maybe?). It didn't have a label or a price and the woman behind the counter just looked at it then looked at me and I shrugged so she said "20 cents?" Fine by me Cheesy

I made a simple sling out of it, weaved some material through the pouch and ended up with this. A rough, simplistic, slightly dirty (who knows where that rope was stored...) sling. Perfect for an orc!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #21 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 11:13am

I'm waiting to see an elven rope sling. Who has access to Hithlain?
http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Elven_Rope

IP Logged

Flint Austone
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 1:06pm

Kick wrote on Sep 1st, 2018 at 10:38am:
I was in a second-hand shop earlier today and found a coiled up bit of thin rope of some sort of natural material (I think it's coconut fibre? Maybe?). It didn't have a label or a price and the woman behind the counter just looked at it then looked at me and I shrugged so she said "20 cents?" Fine by me Cheesy

I made a simple sling out of it, weaved some material through the pouch and ended up with this. A rough, simplistic, slightly dirty (who knows where that rope was stored...) sling. Perfect for an orc!

That looks great! Love the color of that fiber

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #23 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 2:20pm

It looks a little darker in the photo as it was still a little wet. I put it under the tap for a bit just to help make it that bit more flexible for weaving.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Flint Austone
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #24 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 3:19pm

I wonder how some bees wax would make it look

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #25 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 3:24pm

I do have some beeswax. I have to say though I like the untreated rough look. I tested it out with some really angular bad rocks on a walk down by the river but tomorrow I'm going to the beach nice and early to test out the Cthulhu sling and i'll take this with me and give it a proper test too.

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #26 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 4:02pm

For the Rohan one, one can try horsehair with a weaving made of some strong grass ?

For the celtic knotting seen in Meduseld, I think the one seen on the very first second on the corridor wall can be done by netting... The outer cords may be bit too loose but if it is done in flat braid, exchanging cords at each crossing, it may still be able to hold a stone in a satisfying manner ?

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #27 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 6:23pm

That would be amazing Caldou.

I'm sure if I had a legit LOTR sling it would solve all my remaining accuracy issues. And pretty much every other issue in my life for that matter. Let's face it, if you had a LOTR sling with Celtic knotting all life's trouble would just melt away.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #28 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 9:29am

That does sound good. The orc sling works pretty well but I want to make it a bit more orcish so will try and find some scrap leather to dirty up and then use as a tab I think. Elves and dwarves and great cities of men are all well and good but I'm an orc at heart Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris)