Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What’s your dream sling. (Read 2554 times)
Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
What’s your dream sling.
Aug 8th, 2018 at 3:59pm

So, I was wondering, if y’all could have a sling made of any material in the world and in any style, what would it be?

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Re: What’s your dream sling.
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 10:57pm

I would either want a well made colorful leather reinforced natural fiber Balearic sling, or get one of those beautiful slings with the intricate patterns. I'm not patient enough to get these made myself.

Especially for Balearic though; I want to hear a proper whip crack from a sling for myself for the first time.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 11:46pm

Good question Drako! My dream sling would be multi colored 26" hemp 7 strand balearic with medium soft leather covering the splits. And seeing as how this is MY dream sling, it must be braided by me Cheesy

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 4:20am

Any of the intricately braided colourful slings that have popped up on the forum, a really good classic balearic (Need to contact luis at some point. Maybe for my birthday.) and actually maybe the compound sling that recently resurfaced. I don't think a fully realised version actually exists yet but if one could be perfected that would be awesome.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 8:50am

My dream sling is in the planning stages but I lack the materials to make it yet. I would like to buy some high quality Irish linen of the quality you would make a bowstring from and dye it myself. It would incorporate macrame and possibly the type of weaving shown in Walters thread on weaving. 24" with a pouch just big enough to hold my favorite size of ammo. A matching macrame ammo pouch would be nice as well.

IP Logged

hubert

Oschersleben
Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 2:02pm

Meine Traumschleuder ist immer die nächste....
My dream sling is always the next .... Cool

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 5:27am

My dream sling has changed over the years.
Currently I have a couple models I’ve dreamed up... I should really refine and fine tune them and see just how perfect it could be.....

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 10:00am

Right at 28", cords made with a dense line, like a lead core wire with high flexibility, braided with a round braid, long tapered apache pouch with high quality leather, big enough to handle tennis ball sized ammo and down. All brown/tan.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 12:21pm

Any material, hmm.
Carbon fibre cords maybe, if they could be made flexible.
You can't beat a soft leather pouch and while I've worn out many cords, never yet worn out a cap Paul leather pouch.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Flint Austone
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 12:47pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 10th, 2018 at 12:21pm:
Any material, hmm.
Carbon fibre cords maybe, if they could be made flexible.
You can't beat a soft leather pouch and while I've worn out many cords, never yet worn out a cap Paul leather pouch.

You can get carbon fiber string. Its only stiff when its impregnated with resin. You should try that or kevlar with a cap Paul pouch. Could last for many years of slinging.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 1:41pm

Very interesting choices guys. I hope you get your dream sling one day Wink

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #11 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 1:51pm

As others have kind of said already, I think most of us will continue chasing the dragon even if we do get our dream sling. Addicts the lot of us! Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #12 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 5:04pm

My dream sling would be a self-aiming one  Cheesy

Otherwise, I have a dream of roughly 150 threads in silk, with gold and silver threads braided into it...

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 6:22pm

Teg wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 5:04pm:
My dream sling would be a self-aiming one  Cheesy

Otherwise, I have a dream of roughly 150 threads in silk, with gold and silver threads braided into it...

I was thinking of something similar except the silver and gold threads. But a sling with a super high thread count so the end result looks like one solid cord with no individual threads. That would be very cool.  Cheesy

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #14 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 10:40am

My dream sling is a fine-tuned system: Tooled leather pouch with gold inlays, black and tan dyneema cords, and a set of 5 lathe-turned and polished brass glandes that are made specifically to fit the pouch. Ammo would clip into a quick-release magazine that hangs on a belt loop.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man)