Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Tutorial: Flint Sling (Read 10303 times)
Flint Austone
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Tutorial: Flint Sling
Jul 29th, 2018 at 9:29pm

I've been planning on making a cupped leather pouch sling for some time now, but I decided to give myself a little challenge: create an original design. Now I'm not 100% sure its original, but I have looked all through this forum and the internet in general and have not seen any quite like it (so please correct me if this design has been done before.)

Here we go!
Materials needed: flexible leather (at least 5x3.5 inches), about 6 feet of your preferred single strand cord (I'm using 275 paracord), a leather hole punch, whatever you use to cut leather (I find that EMS scissors work great)
As far as knots go, you can use whatever you know will hold for the cord material you're using.

The first picture is the template for the pouch, a big arrow head! 5" for its total length, 3.5" at its widest. Soon, I will clean it up and scan it into a pdf file for a template.

Mate the arms and tail (tail on top followed by the arms) using your cord and tie it off. Fold the pouch down (its natural folding point should be where the 2 relief holes are) and make your retention loop about 27" down from there.

Now attatch the release cord to the "flap" part of the pouch and you're going to make 2 release knots. 1 knot so the pouch relief holes are center when stretched, and another knot for when the cord holes are lined up when stretched.

The idea with this asymmetric pouch is smaller rocks (acorn sized) will be more seated in the cupped area (using the 1st release knot) and you can use the second release knot to accommodate large egg sized rocks where the flap area will help hold them better. I'm sorry if that doesnt make any sense to you but the pics will help clarify what I'm talking about.

The inspiration for this pouch shape is to sort of mimic the shape of a cupped hand as shown in the pictures.

I have not given it proper testing, but from the few rocks I launched in my back yard, it seems very promising. Im hoping that it will give a more consistent release for the different sized ammo.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Re: Tutorial: Flint Sling
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 9:35pm

That’s a very interesting looking pouch, I’ll have to add this to my slings to make list.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 1:42am

Ähnliches gab es immer wieder. Ich verstehe jedoch nicht denn Sinn dahinter.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 2:03am

Very nice Flint!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 5:53am

Reminds me of the cap Paul design

IP Logged

Flint Austone
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 12:11pm

Im working on getting a nicer template made that i can turn into a pdf. Playing around with it, i found if you trace one, you can flip it over and set it back 1 inch to make more of a cup pouch. Setting it back an inch will give a near perfect circle spanning the center edge and bisecting the relief holes. This is definitely the way to go if you prefer a more cupped symetrical pouch.

IP Logged

Flint Austone
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 12:52pm

A finished one:

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 2:40pm

Nice design. I like it. To the best of my knowledge it is original.

IP Logged

Flint Austone
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 3:00pm

thanks Rat Man! As promised, I made a PDF template.

flintslingpouch.pdf (259 KB | 77 )

IP Logged

Flint Austone
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 11:02pm

Update: I made one with a center hole about 7-8mm in diameter. I tested it with some driveway gravel and its easily my new favorite sling. Pleasantly consistant. In fact, i'd just forget about the asymmetric version. Go with the cup!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Aug 7th, 2018 at 10:48pm

Very nice!  The assymetric sling looks pretty similar to the one I posted a few weeks ago in the sling pics topic, but I wasn’t adjusting the hold position with multiple release knots like you are.  I really like that style because of its versatility. You can throw a wide variety of shapes and sizes of projectiles.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 2:30pm

The first design, rings a faint bell, but looks quite neat.
The second is simply a 6 hole variation.

The first design I like, should give a clean release. The six hole is just a 6 hole Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 8:13am

First NOOC, now Flint. Seems that half cupped sling is catching on. That's a very interesting and promising looking design. I remember a long time ago we were discussing the best properties for a sling and someone very succinctly said something like "Cupped as much as possible to hold on to the ammo and flat as possible to release it cleanly." That seemed a bit paradoxical at the time but that design may very well accomplish both.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #13 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 8:18am

I have to say I find the half cupped one more aesthetically pleasing. I might well do some more experimenting with different pouch styles. I'll add it to the pile of stuff I want to do.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Flint Austone
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 10:26am

Like CA said, the 6 hole is just a 6 hole. But i've had continuous success with the half pouch on any piece of leather i use. I find that it has a very predictable and controllable release no matter what stance or style i decide to use. I made this more for myself because as an extremely novice slinger, this design is pretty forgiving of my form and poor ammo quality. I'll throw a few pouches up on the trading post. If most of the ammo you use is consistent, I wouldn't bother with having 2 release knots

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Morphy)