Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mystery clay (Read 771 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Mystery clay
Jul 24th, 2018 at 7:11pm

I found this deposit of clay recently. I am looking for a clay deposit that has clay that shrinks as much as possible while drying in the hopes of getting the densest clay ammo possible.

Does anyone know what type this might be? The other kind I've found was along side a river bank. It was earthenware and fired a brick red color. It was quite light once fired, so really no good for slinging.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Mystery clay
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 1:35pm

No clue.  Our clay has more of a reddish tint here in South Jersey. It's not as red as the clay in the
South though.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 1:44pm

Looks like it might be a kaolin type though.  Kaolin is generally denser than terra cotta, which is the stuff flower pots are made out of.  You'll have to fire it and see if it stays white or turns reddish.  The red usually means iron.  And that usually means terra cotta.

And soak the fired reddish ones overnight to add some weight.  They will soak up a surprising amount of water.  And they hold it for hours to days, depending on how porous they are, although they will eventually dry out.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 8:02am

Thanks guys. That one small glande I made is staying steady at an air dried 1.3 oz. Which is pretty impressive considering the air dry store bought school clay  I have is only 1.4 and 30% bigger.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 8:47am

Bill Skinner wrote on Jul 25th, 2018 at 1:44pm:
Looks like it might be a kaolin type though.  Kaolin is generally denser than terra cotta, which is the stuff flower pots are made out of.  You'll have to fire it and see if it stays white or turns reddish.  The red usually means iron.  And that usually means terra cotta.

And soak the fired reddish ones overnight to add some weight.  They will soak up a surprising amount of water.  And they hold it for hours to days, depending on how porous they are, although they will eventually dry out.

Bill I know you mentioned something about working with clay. Do you know if this is Kaolin whether it would be possible to fire it in a barbeque with coals?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris)