Stolen Valor (Read 4992 times)
Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Stolen Valor
Jul 23rd, 2018 at 11:01pm

In the US; it's pretty funny watching someone in a Halloween costume or "in their [insert familial relation here]'s uniform" and them not being able to answer questions in a believable way towards their accuser (who of course are actually a part of the armed forces). I have a lot of respect for soldiers which is why it's pretty awesome seeing a good number of them reporting exploitation of uniforms.

Anything like this rampant for you other folks? You can probably find many meme videos.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Stolen Valor
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 6:30am

On youtube there's a video on how to spot fake soldiers and what to do about them. Turns out the fake soldiers rely on the public's ignorance of how the military works.
  Many times they themselves are ignorant. They get medals because they look good, with no idea what their for.
  They also tell a good story, of them being in battle and being a hero. However, they cannot recall specifics, like where they were and such.
  I like the ones who claim to be Navy Seals, and talk about what they did. If they were true Seals, they would not be allowed to do this. It's against regulations.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 10:26am

We have so many military and retired military folks in San Antonio that stolen valor is pretty uncommon.  There’s still a problem with tacticool posers and Call of Duty Operators who think they understand combat because they play video games, but they’re usually smart enough to not try to fake an actual service story. They just hang out at gun shops and brag about their Roland Specials. 

One really good way to spot an imposter is to pretend to be impressed, fawn over their “bad-assery” for a few minutes, and then casually ask them about the difference between Special Operations personnel and Special Forces Operators.  That almost always makes them squirm Grin

... and if anyone is wondering, the answer is no. I was not in the military myself.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 11:21am

I don't understand the mindset of such people. It's really sad that someone would feel the need to do that. Just be happy with who you are.

Along the same lines there is a famous video of a guy pretending to be a jiu jitsu black belt and he gets ripped up one side and down the other by a real black belt.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 1:00pm

It usually stems from inadequacy. They probably have family who are or were in the military so feel they have something to live up to or are envious. Honestly it's hard to get mad at people like that. Same as people who always talk about that one amazing goal they scored when they were in high school or some clever thing they said years ago. Happy, adjusted people don't have to pretend or fall back on old glories.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 2:48pm

I mean... I almost respect Furries more than this. Actually I don't really understand either mindset. Maybe we can strike a happy medium and get a military unit made up of furries.

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #6 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 3:32pm

Hey now, Furries aren't all that  bad compared to 'Stolen valour' people.

Because furries are really more of like a Fandom-following of people obsessed with varying Anthropomorphic characters. Of course, you will get those really-wierd people who ruin it for everyone, but that is a symptom that virtually all fandoms have. You've also got a bunch of normal-ish people who have a wierd obsession but it isn't 'too' weird.

With how people like to use the word 'Furry', they might as well be castigating the Ancient Egyptians as being 'furries' or Medieval Marginalia drawers as being 'furries' too, because they were inordinately fascinated with depicting  Anthropomorphic creatures also (To the point that Ancient Egyptians worshiped cats, for example).

Stolen valour people, however, do not vary. They are all lying bastards trying to either get people to like them (Which is not necessarily bad, but the way they go about it is bad) or probably try to get veteran's discounts despite not being in the military (Which is morally wrong!).

Finally, there are also Bronies. I do not like these guys... because 40 year-olds should not be fascinated with a cartoon program for five-year-olds. Not saying that all bronies are gross dudes, but again fandoms... not all of them are bad but you will have the few in the bunch, but I must remind those people, you are an adult! Why are you watching a show for five-year olds?

I may be biased, however. Depending on how one does this whole 'Furry' analysis, I'd probably score a 10% to 20% furry rating, if only because my favourite disney movie is Beauty and the Beast. 

Hell, I'd imagine that about 40% of the modern Furry fandom started out as kids watching that movie! As they  say, hook 'em while their young Grin

Edit: Oh, and don't mention military stuff to Furries... there are some sub-sets of furries that are inordinately fascinated with military knowledge to the point that they get ridiculously over-anal... Shocked

I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are serving members of military forces.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 6:02pm

I was first exposed to Furries from my best friend way back in the day in the 90s. He was a talented artist and was fairly well known in the furry community at the time.

I tried to keep an open mind for his sake. I see nothing wrong with them if that's how they choose to spend their time. Well, like you said there are subsets of weirdness but it doesn't affect me. I agree stolen valor is way worse.  Smiley

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Reply #8 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 7:36pm

Am I one of the very few Vets that don't really care? It doesn't seem there's that many of us of such an opinion.

I'm also convinced we shouldn't really be given mostly meaningless discounts, lip-service thanks, and uncritical praise, too, which would vastly reduce the instances of so-called "Stolen Valor" anyways.

We're not all heroes, and to call us all such for no reason belittles those who have actually done something significant. The more you put us on a pedestal, the less human we become, and thus the more expendable in whatever the war-of-the-week(Or decade, as the case may be) happens to be.

The real problem that lets this proliferate isn't stolen valor itself, it's the fact we have such a small minority who ever enlist. If it was more common, fewer people would find making the false claim gets them anywhere. I sincerely doubt you'd see anything of the sort in, say, the age cohorts who were still conscripted in Germany, France, Switzerland, Finland, and so on.

Here in the US, the military is some mythic beast to the vast majority of people, and it's not healthy for the country for that to be the case. It's also par for the course when it comes to Imperial Militaries, though.

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

Flint Austone
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 8:07pm

I agree 100% with woodssj. All I did in the marines was fix harriers and prowlers, so I appreciate the thanks I get on occasion but there are plenty who gave their lives just so their buddy next to them could make it home. If a few people want to lie to get some attention and maybe a 10% discount, let em go about their miserable lives. As long as they arent stealing college benefits or trying to scam the VA.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 11:16pm

@woodsj: LOL not too many cases  of stolen valor where the person pretends to have worked at a stateside supply depot Grin

I agree that “stolen valor” is a confusing term. Who are they stealing from by getting attention and making up fake war stories?  The ones who pretend to be “operators operating operationaly” definitely give real heroes a bad name among the gullible, and pretending to be a badass confuses bravery with careless disregard for life. Either way, it’s not exactly stealing, even if it is idiotic bad behavior.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 12:58am

I believe it comes from hollywood. In the sixties and seventies, vets were spit on. Now it is cool. People thank you for your service! Never saw a veteran licience plate back then Now maybe 20% im AZ.

I was drafted in 69. In the 7th medical div till 71. I do not want thanks. I WOULD like two years of my life back.

To the pretenders: You want to be xmilitary? You have to join (do not think there is a draft anymore) first. Please do Shocked

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #12 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 2:34am

Like I said, it's hard to be mad. It's kind of just sad and pathetic. It's interesting hearing about America's view of the military. Growing up in Britain with their attitude to the military and then now living in Finland where they have national service (for men at least). America seems on one end of the scale where the military is revered, it's not really a big deal in Finland (families are still proud when their sons go off to do it but no one is going to thank them in the street) then the UK is somewhere in between. Because of unpopular wars people don't love the military but they do appreciate soldiers. I think I am closest to this view. I hate war, I dislike the military, I appreciate soldiers. I think it's important to separate out those different elements.

I myself, once I get Finnish citizenship, will probably have to do national service but then I might be ineligible because of a few health reasons. I'm hoping I could go into the medical side because that would be really good experience for my career.

(One element that's different in Finland actually is that they aren't nearly as involved in any wars. A few go to Afghanistan and actually do some soldiering but for the most part it's a standing army just in case Putin gets ideas...)
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2018 at 4:57am by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Flint Austone
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 2:48am

kicktheotter, my experience with being a veteran in america with the two main bipartisan parties is this; the left wing (commonly democrats/ liberals) usually frown upon military service, where the right wing ie republicans/ conservatives usually revere military. I dont speak for everybody, but thats the common trend here, and thats an entirely different discussion.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #14 - Jul 25th, 2018 at 7:21am

I lean towards KTO's views. It's an unusual thing to do and maybe indicative of some form of mental disorder.

These people probably have bad lives and I wouldn't bother going out of my way to ridicule them. Probably just nod along and smile.

I kinda agree with Woodsj too that it seems weird the level of reverence that vets get in the US. I'm not anti-military but many different jobs are needed to keep a country working and contribute to modern life & society. Rarely these people are credited (even when comparably dangerous working conditions, or even more dangerous working conditions).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris)