Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gaming laptop advice (Read 1046 times)
Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Gaming laptop advice
Jul 22nd, 2018 at 2:02pm

So, I’m looking to buy a gaming laptop, it won’t move a ton as it will just be transported from college to my home, and I’ve found a couple I’m thinking about. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvi...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6S4A2U?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgE...

I’m not experienced in buying computers, so I don’t really know what to look for. What do all think of those two? Which is best? Or do you have other suggestions in that price range?

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Gaming laptop advice
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 6:57am

Well as they are both the exact same laptop, made by acer - get the cheapest one.

But I would suggest you look for one with an amd processor. Cheaper, faster and with better graphics integration.

https://www.amazon.com/Gaming-FreeSync-Display-Editing-GL702ZC/dp/B077GBJCNC/ref...
That will piddle all over the acer machine !

Will you have a biggish screen tv ?
Hooking up with a hdmi cable usually works well. Add a wireless mouse and keyboard and you can just use the laptop as a surrogate base unit.

Been building, fixing and everything else computer wise, professionally, for over 30 years. So yes I do know exactly what I'm talking about Smiley

The old amd a10 processor outperformed the intel i7's.
The new Ryzens leave them in their dust !
8 cores versus 4, newer architecture, graphics tied closely to the cpu.

It's a thing of beauty Smiley   

And you will also need a good cooling pad. Ideally nobody should EVER be allowed to buy a laptop without also getting a cooling pad. With a serious gaming machine it's crucial. What you have is the same parts that should be in a large airy case with lots of fans, crammed into a tight space with bugger all air circulation.
Cooling gear is NOT OPTIONAL !

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/HAVIT-Laptop-Cooling-Cooler-Adjustable/dp/B0713PHFRW/ref=...

Also a vacumn cooler would be a good idea:https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Auto-Temp-Detection-2600-5000RPM-Nintendo/dp/...

I'll say it again - these are NOT OPTIONAL - not if you don't want the laptop to burn up inside a week.

If that kit were in proper case, you'd have a cpu cooling fan and heatsink the size of a brick, at least 2, 4 inch case fans and a lot of air space for it all to circulate in. Assuming you hadn't gone for the recommended water cooling system, that by itself is almost the size of a laptop Smiley 

This is what the graphics chip cooling alone would look like in a full size case:

That's a $270 graphics card. Quite how they cram it into a laptop without it melting a hole in the case - is anyones guess.
But basically: there is no such thing as too much cooling Smiley

Now you can save nearly $400 by buying a refurbished unit. I DO NOT recommend this for a hi-spec laptop.
It's probably been run too hot for too long with out cooling, and the refurbishment does not appear to include changing any hardware.
So suck it up and buy a new unit Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2018 at 12:20pm by Curious Aardvark »  

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 1:23pm

Thank you so much for all the information and help. I had no idea those were even the same computer Grin I will have access to a big screen tv when at home but I don’t plan on being home a ton. This is exactly the sort of help I needed. The laptop you recommended seems good, though some reviews say it doesn’t have that great of battery life, but that’s okay, like I said it won’t be moving a ton just from my dorm to home every so often, also just to check would it be okay to leave it plugged in like a desktop when using it or would that damage the computer? One review mentions that the trackpad dosent always work but that’s alright as I was planning on getting a mouse, but one thing that worries me is that some people also said that the keyboard wasn’t the best either... which is a bit worrying.Like I said I’m no computers expert, so I don’t have much to go off of other than reviews and your advice but are you saying this computer will be able to run games on higher graphics with better FPS than what the other computer can do? Also, I had no idea about the cooling, so glad you told me about all that. Any more advice or input you want to give would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 2:42pm

If you need advice on computers CA is the one to go to.

I'm wondering though... Why does one need all that computer when old school Nintendo Roms run on your phone? Are you saying there are other games worth playing? I'm confused.  Tongue

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 12:45pm

Definitely, I had no idea we had someone so computer savvy here. One more thing I’m a bit worried about on your recommended computer CA it has free sync, which in my research is said to be not as good a g sync, is that true?

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2018 at 12:34am

So, I’ve thought long and hard, gotten multiple opinions, researched a ton, and in the end I’m going to get this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6S4A2U?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgE... thanks for all the advice, and I will certainly be buying the cooling equipment you suggested.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)