Heat Exhaustion (Read 2977 times)
Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Heat Exhaustion
Jul 14th, 2018 at 12:48pm

Well haven't vomited in a couple of years, have now as of yesterday. Lots of hard workouts in the hot Montana sun yesterday (I would probably be dead if doing this in Arizona lol), tried drinking as much as I reasonably could, but due to likely electrolyte loss, no avail, needless to say, I went home early from the thing I was supposed to be at.

What's your worst heat experience? This ought to be my second time this happened within a span of 2 years. The first time it wasn't that bad, "From a certain point of view."

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Heat Exhaustion
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2018 at 1:01pm

A few weeks ago I hadn't been drinking enough, started feeling dizzy, irritable and just off generally. Yeah dehydration is not to be underestimated. In fact I really need to go get a drink because it's been +25C all day, hitting 30C at some points. The humidity has been killing me too. Finland is supposed to be cold damn it!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2018 at 1:07pm

Well, It seem's we've been stealing all your cold, kicktheotter.

We'll gladly give it back to you once you give us back the Australian sun! Tongue

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2018 at 1:12pm

Yeah, what's the deal with that!? Grin
Finland seems though to be about more in line with direct sunlight with the Seasonal tilt though.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2018 at 2:52am

I've found it's usually sunnier during summer here than back in England. Usually about the same temperatures but less rain and fewer clouds. Of course the winters are then a lot colder which suits me fine. We get long warm days and then lots of snow so best of both seasons Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2018 at 6:24am

I've had it a few times. Not pleasant. It can lead to heat stroke which is deadly.
  I was at a local 4th of July parade, and it was in the 90's. One of the bands were wearing all black polyester uniforms. Several dropped, even though the route was only a mile.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2018 at 9:45am

Guess I've been lucky. I've never passed out or vomited. Heat exhaustion is quite serious though.

I know of a guy that suffered a heat stroke and according to him his mind was never quite the same afterwards. The worst I suffered was working construction under the hot Texas sun and I sweat so much the first day my entire body under my clothes felt raw. Taking a shower was like pouring lemon juice on an open wound. Never experienced anything like that before or since.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2018 at 10:07am

It's been so hot today. +25c, I'm just not made for it.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2018 at 10:34am

KTO, isn't 25 C in the high 70s-low 80s?  Cheesy

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - Jul 15th, 2018 at 12:12pm

I have no idea. We use a temperature measuring system that makes sense Cheesy

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Jul 15th, 2018 at 12:19pm

32 degrees for freezing and 212 for boiling water. What's not to love about that? Lol

Ok Ill give you that one.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 3:25pm

The absolute best thing about fahrenheit is that 100 is the temperature of mr fahrenheits wife's armpit Smiley

Other than that it's a ridiculous system that's about as anti-intuitive as you can get.

I drink a lot this weather also make sure I get plenty of salt.

bacon is a great salt replacer Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #12 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 12:50am

Lol there could be a snack for people out working that's basically bacon to maintain electrolytes. Smiley

I was basically down with a headache even after the day until I treated myself with Aspirin and Gatorade.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Jul 18th, 2018 at 2:15pm

I've never suffered from heat exhaustion.  When I used to work for cable TV it was a very real threat and happened to a couple of the guys.  We would have to climb poles, hump the 18' extension ladder all day, work in attics that were literally too hot to breathe in, and our trucks weren't air conditioned back then. I had a system that kept me safe.  After every job, whether I was thirsty or not I'd force myself to drink a cup of ice water.  Also the hotter it got the slower I'd move.
    These days I keep a good eye on the Huskies. Heat exhaustion is a very real threat for them. On the hottest of days they hide out under the fan and air conditioner.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Jul 18th, 2018 at 3:43pm

Yesterday it was 97 degrees in Houston with the usual humidity. My partner and I were flagged down and we found a man in convulsions in the midst of possible heat stroke. According to bystanders the guy was walking on the sidewalk and just face planted into the ground. He was not in good shape. It's definitely very dangerous.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)