Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sling hunting video (Read 4245 times)
walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Sling hunting video
Reply #15 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 6:12pm

Mersa, What would you suggest for water fowl and coyotes? Material, shape and weight.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #16 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 7:15pm

Welcome Rebelprepping!
Good slinging, but prefer to hunt lifeless.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #17 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 8:16pm

I think weight shape and material are really optimised as a lead glande around 50-100g but inheritly this is a more difficult shot accuracy wise compared to another material with a different density(stone).
I would think that a dense 100g well shaped stone would be enough for both your suggested game. Placed on the back of the head where the vertibrae start.
This being said I am basing this on throws made above 30m/s
And the hypothesis may be wrong.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

rebelprepping
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 8:44pm

Mersa wrote on Jul 13th, 2018 at 5:26pm:
Whilst I'm also no fan of injuring animals I think that the real problem is accuracy . I have no problem with the power the sling generates. I also have found the sling to be better than expected with regards to windup . Depending on what animals you are targeting I think it can be a humain kill. Perhaps we can all work together to educate and create a best practice in regards to sling hunting. Ammo seems to be a good place to start.

I agree all hunting should be as humane as possible. Personally i'm developing it for a shtf or survival situation where i need the protein and am not doing it for pleasure. I will be testing different types of ammo

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #19 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 10:54pm

I feel the sling is fine for use on rodents, even an indirect hit should result in a recovery, and then a quick humain finish. And a miss is a miss. It's larger game where it may result in injury and no recovery. That's where it's probally best left to people of high skill like jaegoor.
In a survival sense you get what you can however you can to survive. So sling, punch, trap whatever .

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #20 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 11:58pm

I personally feel that using the sling nowadays is not the most humane way of dispatching an animal (Without a head shot), now that there are firearms or bows/crossbows, where accuracy and also killing potential are much higher. Nor is it the most effective... and In my opinion it should probably be banned except maybe for water-fowl or small bird hunting.

However, if you are not so inclined towards humane animal treatment, such as in the 'Ancient days', Sling users probably were much more effective in that even a leg shot against small game would likely disable them enough that a hunter could get-up close with a cudgel and beat the crap out of said animal. It wouldn't surprise me if you could take a deer out with a leg or chest shot enough that you might be able to get close and club it/spear it, though I've never hunted before and could be totally wrong. I wouldn't use one for boar hunting, though!

These are just my thoughts, anyway.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Jul 14th, 2018 at 2:05am

Selbst heutige Waffen töten ein Tier nicht immer sofort. Oft muß man es noch lange mit Hunden suchen. Blei als Munition halte ich für nìcht gut. Ich finde das jagen mit einer Sling nicht gut. Auch das ganze Gerede über Stile usw. Nicht gut. Zeigen sie einfach ihr können. Schießen sie auf bewegte Ziele. Ein einfaches pendel  wird sie lehren.
Oder trainieren sie mit einem ballwerfer für Hunde.  Sind sie in der Lage einen Ball zu treffen?
Eine große Herausforderung. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2lbeRiRcWt0 Viel größer als sinnlos zu töten.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #22 - Jul 15th, 2018 at 10:58pm

Jaegoor’s right. Even with a hunting rifle and ammo that’s made specifically for what you’re hunting, you may still have to stalk a wounded animal.

As far as pigs go... The only way to boar hunt with a sling is to use hand grenades as ammo Grin

SHTF... It would be far better to stockpile some food than rely on slinging to feed you in a shtf scenario. One injury and you’d go hungry... plus exposure to the elements when you are already calorie limited may lead to sickness, so it’s better to avoid the need to go out hunting or at least keep enough stockpiles to choose your timing for when the weather is good. I would use a sling if it was my only option, but it wouldn’t be part of any plan, and I wouldn’t want to bet my life on it unless I had practiced for an hour a day with rocks for a few years like wannabebushcrafter has been doing.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #23 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 2:25am

I've said it before but if you are in a survival situation, pointy stick beats sling in almost every way. I love slinging and I don't doubt it can be used to hunt but if I would HAVE to get some food then pointy stick is the way to go.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #24 - Jul 19th, 2018 at 8:57am

In a survival situation, I guess it depends on the target. You would probably do better with a sling and handfuls of gravel for dove/pigeon hunting, even without a lot of practice, but the pointy stick might be better for small mammals. If I had my choice, I would take a shotgun or a .22 with a suppressor, but if I really had a choice, I’d rather not need to hunt at all to survive. So far, that’s been a very successful strategy, so I don’t have much experience with the other Roll Eyes

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #25 - Jul 19th, 2018 at 10:10am

In terms of animal cruelty for me it goes vegan, vegetarian, hunting, family farm, store bought.

Anything not a factory farm is a huge step up in terms of cruelty.
With any primitive weapon there is going to be some pain. The sling though is probably better than a bow. Blunt arrows can often fatally wound a rabbit and it will run down it's burrow and die a slow death. Broadheads or field points are sometimes used to avoid this but that's not an instant kill either. A 5-6 ounce oz stone from a sling should kill a rabbit at least as quick, if not quicker than a bow.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris)