Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sling hunting video (Read 4242 times)
rebelprepping
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Sling hunting video
Jul 12th, 2018 at 5:41pm

I hope this is allowed. This is a video i made about hunting with a sling. Unfortunately due to the laws in Britain being ambiguous i'm not sure if hunting with a sling is legal so there is no actual hunting in the video. I do have lots of hunting experience though and hopefully i can pass some good insights on to you. If anyone has any constructive criticism please leave it below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHzI7_Nx-Nk&feature=youtu.be

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Sling hunting video
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 10:07pm

Very informative. I like that you had slinging to watch while giving the info. I have the attention span of a goldfish these days so that helped keep me interested.

I also enjoy seeing all the different variations of the figure-8. Yours is a bit different than many of the others I've seen.

If you ever feel like posting more about the style you prefer I would be very interested.

IP Logged

rebelprepping
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 3:36am

Thank you, I am planning to do some more videos going over different techniques and doing some experiments

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 5:12am

Cute video. I like your experiment with the melon , I have shattered bones , punched holes in skulls, snapped wood , the List goes on really. I have no doubt there is enough to power.
Accuracy is probally the biggest problem . You need space to throw and a line of sight.
I have heard only a few accounts of hunting with slings but varied size game and damage. Birds, fish(tesla) ,rodents and even fox and deer. Ammo is another problem because to really get good accuracy you need a nice matching set of ammo.

Really happy to have you onboard I am one of the few that has hunting as my main drive to sling. Most people sling targets or distance not damage

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

rebelprepping
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 6:55am

Mersa wrote on Jul 13th, 2018 at 5:12am:
Cute video. I like your experiment with the melon , I have shattered bones , punched holes in skulls, snapped wood , the List goes on really. I have no doubt there is enough to power.
Accuracy is probally the biggest problem . You need space to throw and a line of sight.
I have heard only a few accounts of hunting with slings but varied size game and damage. Birds, fish(tesla) ,rodents and even fox and deer. Ammo is another problem because to really get good accuracy you need a nice matching set of ammo.

Really happy to have you onboard I am one of the few that has hunting as my main drive to sling. Most people sling targets or distance not damage

Thanks, I did the melon experiment just to make sure It was kill power, I thought it would be but I want the kills to be clean, the technique I use isn't massively powerful

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 6:58am

I've been living in Finland for the past 5 years but I'm originally from England. I'm personally not interested in hunting with any weapon (I don't really have anything against it it's just not of interest) but I was wondering what the laws for hunting with a slingshot are in the UK. Just curious really Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 8:20am

Ich mache mich bestimmt wieder unbeliebt. Ich erkenne keine gute Technik für die jagt .
Training für die jagt ist gut. Tiere töten mit der Sling sollte man nur als Profi.  Auf keinen Fall tötet man als Sport.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 8:25am

slingshot/catapult hunting is legal.

Hunting with a sling should not be allowed. The video pretty much ephasises why.

The style might be accurate, but it's almost impossible to generate any real power with that style.

So in the unlikely event you ever hit an animal, all you will do is injure it.
Given that in the uk all you'll be hunting is rabbits and squirrels anyway. What you will do is leave a trail of injured animals behind you.

Any sling style that includes a windup, is not overly suitable for hunting - that's expecting a lot of an animal to not notice all that lead up movement. One reason you need to be a fair distance away.
Hitting a moving animal at 40 yards is extremely difficult.
But it is far more practical than expecting it to stand still while you windmill 10 yards away.

I can think of only two people I know in the slinging world who i would expect to be able to survive by hunting with a sling. Luis and jaegoor.
I've never seen anyone else with their kind of pinpoint accuracy and power at random distance targets.
Both practice obsessively and it shows.

I could do it - but I'd cheat Smiley
Exploding glandes, bolas glandes, baiting the killing ground with drugged food etc

Here's a challenge. Go to a clay pigeon range. And if you can hit 50% of the targets with your sling - then you might be good enough to hunt with a sling.

If not, don't even try it - all you'll be doing is pointlessly injuring animals.

I'm not anti hunting. I process a lot of game my dad shoots.
I am against treating it as a game and doing it in a manner where you are 90% likely to injure rather than kill. 

For survival purposes, pack a decent catapult with non-degradable silicon bands and a bag of .38 calibre ball bearings.  When the bearings run out, fit the whisker biscuit you also put in the pack and make short arrows.

Get your sling (paracord if you've got any sense) Make fishing line from the core and use the main cord for a snare. For almost every sling user on the planet, it's probably the best use for a sling in  survival situation Smiley 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 9:08am

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

rebelprepping
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 9:12am

Kick wrote on Jul 13th, 2018 at 6:58am:
I've been living in Finland for the past 5 years but I'm originally from England. I'm personally not interested in hunting with any weapon (I don't really have anything against it it's just not of interest) but I was wondering what the laws for hunting with a slingshot are in the UK. Just curious really Cheesy

Hunting with a slingshot is legal provided you use either lead or steel ammo and not stones

IP Logged

rebelprepping
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 9:14am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jul 13th, 2018 at 8:25am:
slingshot/catapult hunting is legal.

Hunting with a sling should not be allowed. The video pretty much ephasises why.

The style might be accurate, but it's almost impossible to generate any real power with that style.

So in the unlikely event you ever hit an animal, all you will do is injure it.
Given that in the uk all you'll be hunting is rabbits and squirrels anyway. What you will do is leave a trail of injured animals behind you.

Any sling style that includes a windup, is not overly suitable for hunting - that's expecting a lot of an animal to not notice all that lead up movement. One reason you need to be a fair distance away.
Hitting a moving animal at 40 yards is extremely difficult.
But it is far more practical than expecting it to stand still while you windmill 10 yards away.

I can think of only two people I know in the slinging world who i would expect to be able to survive by hunting with a sling. Luis and jaegoor.
I've never seen anyone else with their kind of pinpoint accuracy and power at random distance targets.
Both practice obsessively and it shows.

I could do it - but I'd cheat Smiley
Exploding glandes, bolas glandes, baiting the killing ground with drugged food etc

Here's a challenge. Go to a clay pigeon range. And if you can hit 50% of the targets with your sling - then you might be good enough to hunt with a sling.

If not, don't even try it - all you'll be doing is pointlessly injuring animals.

I'm not anti hunting. I process a lot of game my dad shoots.
I am against treating it as a game and doing it in a manner where you are 90% likely to injure rather than kill. 

For survival purposes, pack a decent catapult with non-degradable silicon bands and a bag of .38 calibre ball bearings.  When the bearings run out, fit the whisker biscuit you also put in the pack and make short arrows.

Get your sling (paracord if you've got any sense) Make fishing line from the core and use the main cord for a snare. For almost every sling user on the planet, it's probably the best use for a sling in  survival situation Smiley 

I see what you're saying, the power is plenty enough to take the game cleanly. Also in terms of startling the game with the wind up this was a concern of mine so i went out and dry fired the sling at hunting distance and they didn't get startled. You shouldn't need to hit moving game, especially squirrels. If you put bait out it is even easier.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 11:00am

Ya I agree. Based on my own experience it really is surprising how much wind up you can get away with when slinging at game.

Another really surprising thing for me was the fact that the Apache throw was actually no less likely to startle game than the figure-8.

Are you planning on making many more videos rebel? I will go ahead and subscribe if so. I need to live vicariously through other slingers at the moment.  Cheesy

IP Logged

rebelprepping
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 1:25pm

Morphy wrote on Jul 13th, 2018 at 11:00am:
Ya I agree. Based on my own experience it really is surprising how much wind up you can get away with when slinging at game.

Another really surprising thing for me was the fact that the Apache throw was actually no less likely to startle game than the figure-8.

Are you planning on making many more videos rebel? I will go ahead and subscribe if so. I need to live vicariously through other slingers at the moment.  Cheesy

Yes i will be making some more videos testing different stuff related to slinging, some serious some more fun

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #13 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 4:43pm

I've subscribed. I try to subscribe to all the active slinging channels.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #14 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 5:26pm

Whilst I'm also no fan of injuring animals I think that the real problem is accuracy . I have no problem with the power the sling generates. I also have found the sling to be better than expected with regards to windup . Depending on what animals you are targeting I think it can be a humain kill. Perhaps we can all work together to educate and create a best practice in regards to sling hunting. Ammo seems to be a good place to start.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker)