Send Topic Print
Slinging tiny ammo (Read 3041 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Slinging tiny ammo
Jul 11th, 2018 at 6:04am

so I have had a thought lately about building a sling designed for 8mm bbs . Tiny light ammo, I'm wondering if anyone has tried it before and has any tips? I was hoping to make it as short as possible and try perfect my techniques with such a short sling and light ammo.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Slinging tiny ammo
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 7:55am

8mm ? that .32 calibre ?

Slinging light ammo is fairly easy - but how you go about it might be counter-intuitive.

You need a small pouch, but it needs to be weighted.
There has to be sufficient tension between the pouch and the cords to get a decent throw.

A very lightweight sling is extremely difficult to use properly. A sling you can use without any ammo and without over straining your joints (which happens more with light weight ammo than with more reasonable weight ammo) is much better.

So thin cords and a heavy pouch are the best way to go.
One way to do this would be to have a double layer pouch and use lead curtain weight string in the centre. It's flexible.

I keep meaning to make a weighted pouch for .50 cal paint balls - of which I have around a 1000.

They work well with a catapult, but are too light for most slings.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:14am

I slung marbles for a while.  They were larger than 8mm though.

I used a sling with a solid pouch and 2mm cord.  With a button on the release cord for weight to get it to open properly.  It was about 1/3 of a meter long.

My accuracy was never all that good but a good throw would go through my poly tarp.   Grin

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:19am

I second the weighted pouch. I'm considering making a weighted pouch for golf target slinging. I find them too light to be really accurate. You (or at least I) need a certain amount of tension to be accurate.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you can vary the weighted pouch weight depending on the length of the cords. The shorter the sling the less weight you need because their will be less leverage and you will feel the weight more. A short sling with just the right weight to be accurate but not so much as to slow you down should give very fast throws with such light ammo.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 4:21pm

Thanks guys , that's kinda what I was expecting , righted pouch or such a short sling that it can get tension. I'm thinking it might be best as a cup pouch . Split pouch is surely too small at that size ??

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 4:49pm

I would say cupped. Even if you get it the right size, I'v found ball bearings to be too slippy really for split pouches.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 7:59pm

I’m cornfused. Why does a short sling have more tension?  If you swing your arm at the same rate, a longer sling should have more tension if you keep everything else the same.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:22pm

It may have more tension but it has more leverage as well. I may not be explaining it well.

Given the same 8oz stone a 24 inch sling will feel much heavier than a 48" sling.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 5:03am

It would also require more input energy , I get what your saying morph

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 7:09am

you need a solid pouch. You also need a fairly soft pouch.
Denim would work well.

A small butterfly pouch with some lead curtain weight glued in the middle should do a pretty decent job. 

The other way you could go is with a woven pouch made from lead core fly fishing line.

matthais used some many years ago to make a pistol crack sling.
But I reckon it would make a pretty heavy and flexible pouch too. if you want to go the woven route.

Can't find any on a quick search on amazon. But it used to exist Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 10:01am

I believe it's either under trolling line of fly fishing.  It may no longer be on the market because a lot of places severely restrict lead, whether it's a weight, a part of a lure or the core of the line.

I used a suede "H" style pouch that didn't have much of a cup, just enough to hold the marble.  Too deep a cup and the marble released erratically, it seemed to stick in the pouch.  Too shallow and it fell out during the throw.  I hit perfectly the first time.  It's when I tried to free hand copy that I discovered my how correct the pouch had to be for a marble.

I can't find the thread but if I remember correctly, it's one of the posts by C_A showing how he tied on his paracord.  Which I copied on about 1/3 scale.  I eye balled his pouch and copied it in much softer leather.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #11 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 10:11am

I have some trolling line on it's way to me as I type. I saw the post on the whip sling bubble back up and got inspired so as soon as it arrives I'll be making my own or a variation at least. It seems it's sold quite freely on ebay. Most of them are from China so we'll have to see what the quality is like but it was pretty inexpensive.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #12 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 4:20pm

Well... It wasn't leadcore tolling line at all. Serves me right for buying cheap off ebay. Seems I will be getting a refund though so that's something. The search continues!

IP Logged

CrazyBrave333
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2018 at 5:05pm

I was thinking about small projectiles the other day...

Could you put several inside a small piece of fabric or paper parcel... it would need to be wrapped right but I imagine it could come out like a shotgun...

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2018 at 2:12am

Best design for a shotgun sling I've seen is Timpa's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4kbhvI4g1k&t=46s

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, Chris, Morphy)