Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pewter Glandes? (Read 2149 times)
TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Pewter Glandes?
Jul 9th, 2018 at 12:57am

I happen to have a large-ish quantity of pewter, yet I have absolutely no lead.

And so my question is, Do you think pewter would work as a glande?

Obviously it won't be in the same weight department as lead but I would be making a mould which should work with lead once I can get some. Practice glandes I guess.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Pewter Glandes?
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 4:04am

So my thoughts on glande making.
1st , why are you making them, more distance? Hunting? Or just target shots with heavy hitters? Going to war?? Consistency?? This will give you an idea on how you want to build them.
Next will be how many you need, and what size shape or material. Then how many you plan to lose/damage.
Lead is good , dense and easy to melt, but durability and finding them after a distance throw not so good.
I imagine that pewter would be similar.
Clay cheap sometimes free and has good properties for easy builds, not very dense.
There the 2 main things I have tried.

My dream ,a batch of gps tracked tungsten razor glandes. Effort and $$$

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 5:26am

Why am I making them?

Because I have heaps of pewter but no lead. Tongue

I am also making them because I want to try mould making and casting, as I have never done these before. Pewter I feel would be a good testing medium because it is similar to lead.

As to clay. I've already made a bunch of un-fired clay slingstones, but I want to try something new. Hence casting.  Wink

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 6:11am

Ok so that makes it a lot easier, I've done simple casts in sand and in clay , they work but not great. You can also use fishing sinker moulds there good. Not sure on temps needed for pewter but I can do lead on simple campfire.
If you have tools and know how to make more complex moulds out of aluminium that would be best.

For me personally I can't achieve the results for the task.
I want durable hard hitting sharp dense glandes .
Lead is close but I really need the durability for heavy practice.

Good luck happy mould making

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 6:45am

Well, pewter has a lower melting temp than lead.

It was oh-so easy to melt over the campfire!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 7:52am

If your goal is to learn more about metal casting, pewter is great. If you plan on throwing it all away, sell the pewter and go buy some lead fishing tackle... or look on YouTube for chemistry methods (Cody’s Lab?) of isolating the lead from the silver, or get some lead wheel weights from a junkyard... or ask around for free dead lead acid batteries and carefully remove the lead and neutralize the acid. Either way, the silver in pewter seems like it’s worth selling unless you are slinging at werewolves Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 10:14am

Quote:
Pewter (/ˈpjuːtər/) is a malleable metal alloy. It is traditionally composed of 85–99% tin, mixed with copper, antimony, bismuth, and sometimes silver or lead, although the use of lead is less common today. Copper and antimony act as hardeners while lead is more common in the lower grades of pewter, which have a bluish tint. Pewter has a low melting point, around 170–230 °C (338–446 °F), depending on the exact mixture of metals.[1] The word pewter is probably a variation of the word spelter, a term for zinc alloys (originally a colloquial name for zinc).[2]

So mostly tin.
Can't see any reason why it won't work Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 2:38pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 7:52am:
If your goal is to learn more about metal casting, pewter is great. If you plan on throwing it all away, sell the pewter and go buy some lead fishing tackle... or look on YouTube for chemistry methods (Cody’s Lab?) of isolating the lead from the silver, or get some lead wheel weights from a junkyard... or ask around for free dead lead acid batteries and carefully remove the lead and neutralize the acid. Either way, the silver in pewter seems like it’s worth selling unless you are slinging at werewolves Smiley

Most of my pewter is Selangor 97, which seems to be roughly 97% tin with copper and antimony.

Of course, I do have other pewter objects that I don't know about that I have hacked up into smallish squares and placed into several zip-lock bags, so there might be some with silver content.

Suffice to say, I got most of my pewter for about $2 at the salvos, So I can spare a few pieces to throw around. I'll likely do jewelry making though, rather than making a bunch of glandes from them.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 4:22pm

would be interesting to do glandes as well Smiley

Presumably smelting pewter is less dangerous than lead, fume wise.
Don't know anything about antimony. (reads about antimony).

Oh cool has 4 allotropes one of which is friction sensitive and will explode Smiley
My kind of element Thumbs Up

But not apparently toxic.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 9:17am

The most difficult thing about metal glandes is the time and expense knowing they are most likely one shot ammo. Sounds like a fun project though.

As to the original question- If clay will work for a glande pewter will definitely work.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)