Send Topic Print
Heat Wave (Read 2153 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Heat Wave
Jul 3rd, 2018 at 3:55pm

Right now a good bit of America is in the middle of a heat wave.  It started over the weekend.  The highs have been around 100 Fahrenheit. Right now it's 96 and with the high humidity the heat index is 107.  The Huskies and Benji hate it and have been hiding in the livingroom for the most part.  It's too hot to walk them and they only play in the yard for a few minutes then want to come in. I don't blame them. It's supposed to break sometime on Friday. 
    It's not that big of a deal.  Sometimes it gets stinking hot in July around here.  I just hate having to run that central air so much.  I can see dollar bills flying out the window.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Heat Wave
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 5:42pm

I hear ya, my parents are only 15 ,minutes  from u. I been getting daily reports. I am now I  northern Maine. On the Canadian border.  It's been 90 the last 2 days and got 2 more to go

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 9:15pm

High of 106 20 % humidity. Night low 50.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 9:32pm

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 6:33am

Being on Lake Erie doesn't offer any relief. Some areas near me have gotten some good thunderstorms though.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 7:15am

last 3 weeks england has been hotter than guam and one of my guamian friends is complaining about the heat.

We've averaged over 30c for the last 3 weeks. In castle gresley we've had not one drop of rain in that time either.

I'm also recording hotter temps than the national weather people are giving out.

I go by the temp sensor in my car, a weather station and a thermometer on the balcony.
2 weeks ago they recnoned the max temop countrywide was 29c. My weather station had 35, the thermometer hit 37.9 and my car - which tends to be the lowest hit 34.
No idea where the car temp sensor is, but presumably it's both in the shade and out of the wind and nowhere near the engine.

So quite how the met office is taking their temperatures I don't know.

I don't mind the temp.
That said last week I had to move a clients office (make sure it all got plugged back in right and everything worked). Lot of carrying stuff up and down stairs - that was a very sweaty day lol

But yep weather is really unusual for the uk. May and june were great months, july's started out as good. May it contunue Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 3:11pm

Here in my part of Norway it`s hot, too.  Started in early May. Only a couple of days with clouds and rain since then.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 3:23pm

Same here in Finland. It's been cooler and with more rain recently but a few weeks ago it was awful. I really don't like weather that's too hot. If it's cold you can do things to warm up, if it's too hot there's very little you can do effectively. Good thing I live in Finland I guess Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 3:09pm

I agree, kto.  I don't hate summer but I'm much more comfortable in colder weather.  The older I get the more that holds true.  No matter how cold it gets I can always throw another coat on. 
   vetryan, with temperatures like that the Black Flies must be awful up there.  Are you up there for good or a vacation?  Maine is a state I wouldn't mind living in.
     Anyway the heat wave is supposed to end here tonight.  It will get hot again next week but nothing like this past week.  Now it's countdown until the hurricanes start.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 8:38pm

I tend to freeze up in the cold. At around 25-30 degrees my mouth gets numb and it's hard to talk let alone sling. So I find being cold with a jacket much more enjoyable but hot means I can do things like sling still assuming being hot and sweaty isn't a big deal.

When it comes to heat there is that old cliche "Well it's a drrry heat." Which is true until you hit about 110 at which point dry or humid is completely irrelevant, you are cooking.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #10 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 4:37am

Rat Man wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 3:09pm:
  I agree, kto.  I don't hate summer but I'm much more comfortable in colder weather.  The older I get the more that holds true.  No matter how cold it gets I can always throw another coat on. 
   vetryan, with temperatures like that the Black Flies must be awful up there.  Are you up there for good or a vacation?  Maine is a state I wouldn't mind living in.
     Anyway the heat wave is supposed to end here tonight.  It will get hot again next week but nothing like this past week.  Now it's countdown until the hurricanes start.

I am actually up here for good. Yesterday a nice thunderstorm came thorough.  It ended up up dropping to the 50s last nght. Black flies haven't been too bad, we missed their 3 week mating seas by 2 weeks whrrn we 1st landed, but the damn mosquitos will carry u away.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:49am

Talking of heat waves... Today has been incredibly warm. Mix that with working on the fifth floor of a very well insulated Finnish hospital building, having to take a resident to the shower in a very hot bathroom whilst wearing a plastic apron,  wellington boots and a pair of gloves and the result is me literally dripping with sweat. I may well have lost a measurable amount of weight in there.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #12 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 12:10pm

The AC in my house doesn't work very well. Where I reside can get to the 80-90's. Pacific Northwestern people such as myself don't like that very much. Grin

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #13 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 12:34pm

Funditor406 wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 12:10pm:
The AC in my house doesn't work very well. Where I reside can get to the 80-90's. Pacific Northwestern people such as myself don't like that very much. Grin

I can be witness to that. I spent 3 month in PNW, back in 2014. People were acting like they were melting at 75. Very bizarre

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 12:47pm

It's Alabama in July, temps in the 90's and the humidity is too.

As long as we can avoid a hurricane or six in the Gulf, I'm happy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)