Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slinging videos (Read 2866 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Slinging videos
Jun 19th, 2018 at 12:23pm

My terrible attempts at fig 8 at close distance. Target is about 10m or so away. It's so close because there isn't  a lot of space but also I was throwing pretty low power. Of all the "common" throws I would say I'm least accurate with fig 8 and I've wanted to change that. I haven't been doing fig 8 much and I've always had trouble with releasing too early so the shot would go super high. I've now got much better though. All advice appreciated!

Some things I noticed myself from the videos that I need to improve:
1. My hips are barely moving. Partly this is because I want going for full power, partly it's because it's still a "new" throw I'm not completely comfortable with and partly it's because I'm a stiff inflexible person in general  Cheesy
2. I'm still not so great with the follow through or knowing exactly the best angle to bring my arm down. I sort of varied between vertical and horizontal.

Both of those I can fix with more practice which I plan to do if the weather stays good this summer.
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2018 at 2:22pm by Kick »  

VID-20180619-WA0000.mp4 (1682 KB | 218 )
VID-20180619-WA0001.mp4 (1587 KB | 88 )
VID-20180619-WA0002.mp4 (1646 KB | 100 )

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Slinging videos
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 12:58pm

Looking good man. That's a great way to start, nice and slow. It becomes easier with time.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 1:08pm

The most annoying thing was that I was throwing much better once the camera stopped rolling. Always the way Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 2:18pm

can't give any feedback on videos it seems that you are just starting w/ fig 8. maybe try to create backspin so you can give feedback to us.

i'm not very experienced with the fig-8. it was one of my first styles, but what you don't use you lose...
pure fig-8 has a strange arm motion unlike other styles where the arm externally rotates and snaps back , in fig 8 it's more like an extension of the arm (tricep contraction)

lately i was trying to create backspin and after some thought and empty pouch trials i concluded that the fig-8 is the best way to throw a backspin.

tried it on a football field w/ tennis balls: 50m w/ headwind,80m w/tail wind, in both occasions trajectory was flat with a drop at the end. i wasn't too consistent w/ it .
tried backspin fig8 w/ stones @ close distance and i'm worse, they go  all over the place or they spiral instead of backspining. i guess i need more training?

i want to incorporate it in my training but i'm afraid it's gonna mess with the mechanics of the other styles.
also undecided on the effectiveness of it's mechanics(i don't like the follow through), could it be just better to spend more time perfecting spiral instead of playing around w/ backspin?
if i use it w/ stones @ long range it will show if it's effective

we'll see.... Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 3:12pm

Creating spin is another thing I've never focused on but I'm thinking I need to put the time in and give it a go. I had a lot of trouble with getting the mechanics of fig 8 down but then, when I did finally get it down, I neglected to actually work on using it with target slinging. I tried for a bit then gave up as I couldn't work past the early release. Now it seems I've got past that and I'm mostly getting the right height.

I think actually my accuracy generally has been better this weekend using fig 8 than other throws. I was thinking about what you had said Sarosh with only focusing on hits and not the general accuracy and I think I was getting closer to the target than I usually do with helicopter. Some of the hits I did get were really satisfying, dead on target and good power. Didn't get any of those ones recorded though of course...

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 11:10am

Bit more fig 8 practice with the dogs. Really small dog park so not much power at all but I think my form looks better. The very first throw I did, I aimed at the bench and hit it directly where I aiming. Of course that was before I asked my girlfriend to film... always the way...

For the throws in the video I was just throwing down range.

VID_20180629_092745.mp4 (7756 KB | 206 )
VID_20180629_092815.mp4 (8796 KB | 83 )
VID-20180629-WA0003.mp4 (2499 KB | 69 )

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 2:27pm

Other than one-handed vs two-handed, is there any different between Grecian and the second half of a figure eight throw?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 4:37pm

I've always thought of, and done, Grecian as closer to helicopter, holding the pouch forward and throwing it over my shoulder so bypassing any wind-up. Now of course that's what I think Grecian is, I'm not sure what others would say.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 11:46pm

I guess it depends on whether you toss forward or backward from the start position on Grecian.  I’m not sure which is correct or if there is one “correct” way, but if you toss forward it’s like helicopter, backwards would be like figure eight.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #9 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 4:10am

Hold the ball in your left hand and drop it. There is one really good tutorial on fig8 on YouTube . It will generate power and get the sling in a good line

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 7:11am

I I would look at some videos on how to pitch a baseball. Figure 8 is an overhand throw and baseball has that down to a science- literally!
My technique has improved a lot from what I’ve gleaned from pitching.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #11 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 10:51am

Reviving an old dead thread here but I stumbled back onto this thread and rewatched the videos and... man I sucked. And this was only in June this year! I know for a fact I'm far better at fig 8 now. It's sometimes important to look back and see you've improved Cheesy

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 1:15am

Personally, I'm a big fan of releasing the pouch from the Greek starting position. It just takes one more variable out of the occasion. That being said, sometimes I can get a ton of power/acceleration with the ammo starting swinging gently by my side if I get the little swing just right.

I tend to open up my core a little more with figure 8. Similar to how you see tennis players swing overhand. It allows me to use my abdominal muscles more as I swing down. Here's a couple of really old video of me slinging figure 8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ65qYFKcwQ - Starting at 2:31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7EW3zflrfY

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Kick, Morphy)