Send Topic Print
Boxing Vs MMA (Read 2964 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Boxing Vs MMA
May 25th, 2018 at 2:07pm

For most of my life boxing was king.  It had no serious competition whatsoever. In spite of occasional ridiculously bad decisions and obvious fixes it was still generally enjoyable for me to watch.
  In 1974 the Professional Karate Association or PKA was created.  I watched it because I am into Karate, and it was an interesting diversion, but it had as many restrictive rules as boxing so it never really took off like it should have. 
     Then came MMA.  At first it was just a curiosity to me but the more I watched it the more I liked it.  MMA was closer to an actual fight than any sport before it. Very slowly I began watching more MMA and less boxing.  It's to the point now where I find boxing as boring as baseball and I don't watch it at all.  I watch all the MMA I can find.
    Has anyone else made the same transformation?   
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2018 at 10:56am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Boxing Vs MMA
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2018 at 9:08pm

Mma is where it's at , although I find some fighters boring as boxing

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2018 at 12:32pm

I've never been interested in boxing really at all but I do occasionally find myself drifting onto MMA videos on Youtube. Mostly I just watch a few compilations of particularly interesting moments that have happened in fights. I think for me in that way it's not really any more interesting than boxing usually but it has more potential for interesting moments.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - May 26th, 2018 at 8:34pm

MMA is a lot more interesting to me. Still love Fedor. He will always be the king to me. Or should I say Emperor? Anyways, wish he would stop fighting though. Every fighter needs to know when it's time to stop or they risk ruining their legacy. He's proven himself, no need to go to the point where he ends up doing serious damage to himself. (If it hasn't happened already.)

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - May 27th, 2018 at 8:50am

you're all wrong!  Chess boxing is where it's really at Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7ZwMVLMezI

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - May 27th, 2018 at 11:06am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on May 27th, 2018 at 8:50am:
you're all wrong!  Chess boxing is where it's really at Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7ZwMVLMezI

Love it!

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #6 - May 27th, 2018 at 5:58pm

Actually love the idea of chess boxing

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #7 - May 28th, 2018 at 3:07pm

I stumbled upon chess boxing a while back, the things some people come up with. Hahaha

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #8 - May 28th, 2018 at 5:46pm

I actually go the other way (which is weird because I'm into judo and judo has more crossover with mma). I prefer more focused skillsets which I feel allows people to attain super skilled status rather than a jack of all trades type deal.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - May 28th, 2018 at 9:55pm

I think it largely depends on the fighter for me. I love watching fighters with a stronger base in Muay Thai or Karate actually use kicks effectively ( Vuyisile Colossa, Anthony Pettis, Amnuaysirichoke) rather than a grapplers throw a guillotine from full guard. I think the rules of MMA tend to be generally quite biased towards BJJ practitioners which I personally don't enjoy watching as much. Because of that however, when a stand-up striker can still win fights in a wrestling-biased sport, I really respect that. And I also respect the high-level grapplers of course (Demetrius Johnson) and the well rounded fighters like

Boxing also depends on the match-up but MMA is generally more entertaining.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 9:37pm

I also enjoy watching Muay Thai.  I prefer MMA because I enjoy the grappling as much as the striking but Kickboxing is also very entertaining.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 1:27pm

There's been some really good fights in boxing lately. Especially the Joshua/Ruiz fight.  I would love to see Ruiz knock out Wilder. Man would that be a win for Dad bods everywhere.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 11:35am

Unfortunately I will forever associate boxing matches with murder... even though it’s not boxing’s fault. About a decade ago my neighbor had a party to watch a Pacquiao fight. From what I could gather later (I was asleep across the street), there was a lot of alcohol consumption. Some idiot kid crashed the party and started mouthing off... so what do a bunch of drunk people do about an obnoxious teenager at a boxing party?  Obviously they roughed him up but mostly just hurt his pride. He returned with a gun, shot my neighbor’s wife (she lived), and killed her uncle.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Aug 20th, 2019 at 5:41pm

This is slightly off topic but who cares.  For the majority of my life women fighters were nothing more than an oddity... almost a freak show.  99% of them weren't particularly talented or well trained at all.  They were just tough girls who needed a fast buck.   And of course the womens' fights were always just openers.  Never main events. 
     That certainly isn't the case these days.  Women fighters are highly skilled, well trained athletes whether they're MMA, boxing, or Muay Thai.  They are a pleasure to watch; in fact I enjoy them as much as the men.  Very often a womens' fight is the headliner and deservedly so.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 7:46am

I think part of the reason I enjoy watching a good female fight is the same reason I prefer the lighter weight classes. There's more fighting. Heavyweights, because each punch is a potential knockout, fight very differently than the lower weight classes.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus)