Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Antique Tool Reproductions via 3d printing? (Read 1396 times)
woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Antique Tool Reproductions via 3d printing?
May 21st, 2018 at 10:27pm

Question for those in the 3d printing world:

Would it be possible to 3d print sets of some relatively simple yet specific 19th century tools in steel, or a similar material?

What' I'm looking at making are a few priming/depriming tools for shotgun and rifle for myself and friends as a gift. Some would be direct reproductions for 12 ga shotshells, and a few would be re-sized for some of the historic rounds we shoot based on the same theory. However, it strikes me that I have exactly none of the knowledge, skills, or facilities for making them. So, now I'm looking to possibly commission them instead.

But I'm not sure if 3d printing would quite be the ticket.

Here's a few photos of the idea. The tong tool would be made for 12ga, 20ga, and .303 British, since it would seem capable of working with any rimmed cartridge.

The pedestal tool would be a bit harder, and only for the 12 and 20 ga shotshells.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Bullet-Press-Rare-Bullet-Reloading-Press-/25357...    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-tools-Cartridges-LOADING-Extractor-tool-ammo-we...

Thanks for the input and skill.

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Antique Tool Reproductions via 3d printing?
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2018 at 12:20pm

Look into a Lee Loader kit for the specific caliber you are looking for. 

I have used then in .45/70 and .38 Special and .357 Magnum.

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2018 at 6:38pm

I just did. And those are interesting, a bit of a clever evolution of the 19th century tools.

Thanks for the tip.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - May 25th, 2018 at 12:49pm

the answer is yes - if you have a LOT of money.

The cheap metal printers clock in at around £100,000 (best one I've seen was north of £800,000) - clawing that investment back means that commissioned 3d printed metal parts are very, very, very expensive.
If you are a formula one racing team and want one super throttle gigget made from titanium. Then 3d printing is you bestest buddy.
If you want a couple of bits of metal on a hinge, go down the traditional route Smiley

Plus they have to either have the original tool to copy, or design the cad file from scratch. And while I could do that for not very much money, the people who have metal printers will charge an arm and a leg for the design as well.

Much cheaper to find an engineering firm with a lathe and have it made the old fashioned way. 

Or a blacksmith. They look pretty simple.

But 3d printing in metal - is definitely NOT the way to go Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2018 at 1:18pm

Interesting. With it being hailed as the next big thing to reduce costs and make whatever needed wherever it was required, I figured it might be a good shot. Evidentially not when working with metal...

So, I guess I'll return to this if I have a need for extremely fast prototyping or the unreasonably specialized... And I win the lottery.

Thanks!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - May 27th, 2018 at 8:32am

If you have a forge, you can do a version of lost wax casting with PLA prints. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofwbSFvHKD0

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - May 27th, 2018 at 10:35am

Google Ideal Reloading Tools.

There are quite a lot out there, the major problems will be finding the proper caliber and it having all the parts.

The Lee Loading Tool was a simplified version of the Ideal line.  Ideal was bought up by Lyman and Lyman dropped a lot of their stuff as it competed with their own brand.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - May 27th, 2018 at 10:55am

woodssj wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 1:18pm:
Interesting. With it being hailed as the next big thing to reduce costs and make whatever needed wherever it was required, I figured it might be a good shot. Evidentially not when working with metal...

So, I guess I'll return to this if I have a need for extremely fast prototyping or the unreasonably specialized... And I win the lottery.

Thanks!

It's swings and roundabouts.

I can make 1-100 custom plastic 'things'. and maybe charge a few hundred quid.

If you were to get an injection mould made - the mould might cost you a few thousand pounds. BUT each widget you then made would only cost a few pence.

With 3d printing there is no tooling or moulds to make or change. So small runs of cutom items is very cost effective. And with almost no turn around time to make something else, if you only want a few of something - then it's a good idea.

The problem(s) with metal printers are two fold.
1) it all has to take place in an inert atmosphere otherwise the lasers melting the metal will simply burn it.
2) it has to be able to handle really really fine metal powders. So the filter system would make a nuclear bunker appear porous.

There are various different types of metal printers from direct deposit, to powder systems with lasers and electron beams all the way down to printing with metal infused plastic printers and sintering the print in a forge.

They are all stupidly expensive and all come with their own issues.
Also the finely graded metal powders aren't exactly cheap either.

nooneofconsequence's idea is a good one. you can actualy buy special wax filament to use in the lost wax forging process. And various people have had success with normal pla as well.

But direct metal printing is currently primarily for high end products.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going

Reply #8 - May 27th, 2018 at 12:28pm

Hm... Interesting video. That might be the way to go for this, printing the mold of the piece would do decently well.

Thank for the advise and assistance.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)