Send Topic Print
Sling ballistics (Read 3983 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Sling ballistics
May 10th, 2018 at 9:04pm

Once I move to Maine, I will be starting a petition to try and get law passed to have the atlatl and shepherd sling legal for hunting. I have information I need on the atlatl,  so this is more geared towards the sling. I did a couple of searches on the forum, but couldn't find anything. I am aware of this article just haven't read it it.  October 1973 Scientific American article "The sling as a weapon" by Manfred Korfmann I was curious if anyone had any other information in regards to ballistics for the sling, as I would like to sit and write out a petition I could send to people in other states to get it started. If they were so inclined and interestEd in doing so.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Re: Sling ballistics
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2018 at 5:02pm

Although I'm personally against hunting with slings, I'll help you a bit.

This is the most recent study I know of:
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2016.10.006
Borovsky et al. The traumatic potential of a projectile shot from a sling, For, Sci. Int. , 272, 10-15 (2017)

Further papers:
Vega and Craig, New experimental data on the distance of sling projectiles.
Journal of Archaeological Science 36, 1264-1268 (2009)

A couple things from Skov:
https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/nebanthro/169/

https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/anthrotheses/30/

This should get you started.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #2 - May 15th, 2018 at 1:57pm

Thank you very much. Greatly appreciated.  I would only get it legal for small gane hunting.  I domt think many people will go for, but ya nwver know

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - May 15th, 2018 at 2:23pm

Thanks for the references Teg!

Vet: I assume you are most interested specifically in the terminal ballistics of the glande.  Is the sling specifically outlawed in your state?  What about slingshots?  If the sling is not explicitly outlawed, then the question should be more an ethical question than a legal one. The question of whether you should attempt to hunt with a sling depends on the animal, the ammo, and your ability to get a clean kill on a case by case basis. I personally don’t think the state is in a position to make an accurate determination of that in most cases, and you can count on any law addressing sling hunting being poorly written.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2018 at 3:29pm

Vetryan, you may have considered this but I remember Paleoarts saying it was a video showing people using the atlatl with good power and accuracy that was sort of the tipping point towards getting it legalized in one particular state. Might help with the sling as well. Just a thought.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - May 15th, 2018 at 3:44pm

first check - surreptitiously - that is is actually illegal.
I can't imagine it would be.

In which case legislation is not necessary.

That fact that you will most probably leave a trail of badly injured animals behind you - is on your own conscience.

Bear in mind how far an injured animal can run even when shot through the heart.

Unless you are using some sort of bolas ammo - and that's probably all I would consider hunting with. Then whatever you hit will likely run, climb, go down it's burrow before you get close enough to dispatch it cleanly.

I'm not against hunting - just against cruelty to animals.
If you intend to kill something - do it cleanly and quickly - I honestly don't feel a sling is suitable for that.

But like i say, your call not mine. I would bet no legislation exists. Also you'll be hunting on your own or your neighbours land. So it's not like any officials will ever see you.

I find that it really doesn't pay to give local officials ideas. It makes their brains hurt Smiley

If you don't ask them - they'll probably never consider it, ever.
Unless you start a sling hunting club and advertise in your local paper.
I figure you're brighter than that Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #6 - May 16th, 2018 at 10:18am

I have done my research,  but in the state of Maine. All 3 shepherd sling, atlatl and slingshots are illegal to hunt with. Once I move I will be teaming up with Zachary Fowler of the history channel show ' Alone ' season 3 winner, to try to get legislation passed to allow all 3 tools legal for hunting.I could probably get away with it on my land, and the surrounding property. Which looking over the hunting laws, it surprised me that they wouldn't allow any kind of primitive weapons on account of the lifestyle in the state.  For example,  in the area I bought my land. I can live in a camper/ rv, or a tent full time year round. I am an ethical hunter,  I wouldn't hunt with one, until my skill level went up, plus I don't hunt for sport, just for food. And I would not let anything on the animal go to waste. I would at least try to get it legal to hunt for small game, and pest animals.  The atlatl I would try to get for deer, at the largest.  As there are a few states, that allow atlatl hunting during bow season. Another reason, is later down the road into the future. I am partnering up with a primitive weapons and living skills survival school to host and teach a  shepherd sling course. To cover the basics. How to make abd use the sling. I will have plenty of land to be able to host small gatherings and run a couple courses.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - May 16th, 2018 at 12:43pm

Wow! How’s that for living in a free state?  You actually need to get permission from the state to hunt with a traditional primitive tool?!  Even a slingshot?! Just wow.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #8 - May 16th, 2018 at 1:03pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 12:43pm:
Wow! How’s that for living in a free state?  You actually need to get permission from the state to hunt with a traditional primitive tool?!  Even a slingshot?! Just wow.

Well currently I live in NJ. A slingshot is a class 3 felon. Which I own almost 2 dozen. But they are finally looking to revise it, but I am not holding my breath for it.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #9 - May 16th, 2018 at 2:39pm

Man I’m glad I live in Texas!

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #10 - May 16th, 2018 at 4:41pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 2:39pm:

I spent 6 weeks in Tx, San Antonio fir training.  Not my cup of tea, too hot.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #11 - May 16th, 2018 at 8:03pm

Yeah, August is a bad time to be in San Antonio, but it's a great city to visit in the winter.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - May 16th, 2018 at 8:40pm

vetryan15 wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 4:41pm:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on May 16th, 2018 at 2:39pm:

I spent 6 weeks in Tx, San Antonio fir training.  Not my cup of tea, too hot. 

Not Fort Sam!

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #13 - May 16th, 2018 at 9:00pm

I was there in September and October back in 04. No thanks, not again. Lol

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - May 16th, 2018 at 9:25pm

11 wks March, April & May 69. Loved it Shocked

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Kick, Morphy, vetryan15)