Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24
Send Topic Print
Update on my move/ log cabin build. (Read 48099 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Update on my move/ log cabin build.
Reply #210 - Dec 25th, 2019 at 6:09am

I have my insomnia came back earlier this year. So i am usually up anytime between 2am to 4am. Very rarely do i sleep later.  But its Christmas morning,  we have been talking. We heard this weird scream, noise around 515am. Making sure whatever it was, didnt come close to the coop, and our dogs were freaking out a bit. Did some research on what the noise was, to some known animals.  We believe it was a Fox, which after almost 15 minutes of of research, we believe it was just walking though the next property through the woods.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #211 - Dec 25th, 2019 at 10:05am

Talking to my neighbor,  he was saying it might have been a fisher cat. Which is a large weasel.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #212 - Mar 11th, 2020 at 6:57pm

So its it's starting to turn into our extra season before spring. Known as mud season.  Snow melting andsince we have a ton of it, its gonna be extra muddy for a few weeks. But we been busy, i haven't been on social media very much.

We just tapped about 25 trees and are currently collecting sap to boil down into maple syrup.

I just actually made my very 1st gallon of mead. That is currently fermenting right now.

Most recently we actually picked up a small generator for some of my power tools, and got that running. So we do now have limited power to an extent. Just enough that so i can return to knife making this year, hopefully if i have time.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #213 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 9:02pm

Sugaring! Best thing to do in Feb. Hope it works out for you Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #214 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 4:29am

Yes it is, i even did it old school with an old carpenter brace.. last year we boiled it too much and started making it into candy, hopefully this year we wont. Lol

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #215 - Mar 17th, 2020 at 11:30am

No Birch syrup this year?

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #216 - Mar 18th, 2020 at 3:51am

Rat Man wrote on Mar 17th, 2020 at 11:30am:
No Birch syrup this year?

As of right now, pprobaly not. The birch season is i believe right after maple season. So there is time, but i dont have as many birch trees as i thought i did. Cuz you need 10x the amount of sap from birch compared to maple. To make the same amount

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #217 - Mar 18th, 2020 at 5:22am

You can but try

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #218 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 3:51am

Mersa wrote on Mar 18th, 2020 at 5:22am:
You can but try

I think i sill survey how mzny birch trres on my lot, this spring before i jump to commit. The taps are cheap i judt hope i have the time

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #219 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 11:25am

I got far behind on this thread and look forward to binging on it when I have time but from what I’ve seen you really are living the life. Thanks for posting all this Vetryan.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #220 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 7:27pm

Morphy wrote on Mar 22nd, 2020 at 11:25am:
I got far behind on this thread and look forward to binging on it when I have time but from what I’ve seen you really are living the life. Thanks for posting all this Vetryan.

Agreed. This is one of my favorite threads. I live vicariously through Vetryan.  I look forward to new entries.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #221 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 7:56pm

He’s in a good spot considering current times

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #222 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 8:16pm

Mersa wrote on Mar 22nd, 2020 at 7:56pm:
He’s in a good spot considering current times

I hadn't thought about that but yes!

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #223 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 6:20am

Thanks everyone.  I love giving updates,  and as of now its been super busy and crazy.  Here in Maine with the coronavirus,  in state we have 155 cases. The closest to me is almost 2 hours away, in Bangor. Now i work in a grocery store, so am considered essential staff.  Which sucks due to the fact i have to deal with everyone going hysterical over TP, and doing thier panic purchases.  I have been doing overtime the last 2weeks, that is currently my whole schedule.  On top of my chores when i get home, cutting firewood,  pumping drinking water, and whatever else needs to get done. Which a few days ago. Feeling run down, and exhausted i really felt like quiting, not sure how much longer i can take. Remember i am disabled to an extent, due to a car accident 5 years ago, which i am still in constant pain, but exert myself way beyond what i should be doing all the time physically and mentally.  But anyway picking up some new hobbies, purchasing lots of tools. and trying to be ready for spring time. Thinking about stuff i didnt get done during winter. Enough of my ramblings.

So I picked up a small generator this year, we now have some power that is very limited for my power tools, and to charge stuff that my small solar panels cant charge. But mostly its to run my power tools when i get the forge up and running, and back into knifemaking, cuz right now i will not file knives by hand.  Grin.

I started my 1st batch of mead, my gf got me a small mead making kit, and its is a raspberry mead, i have more equipment getting delivered soon and will be making a few more small batches. I accidentally did it the passive way, the honey didnt mix very well with the hot water, but from my research it will make it a sweeter mead. So now i need to wait another year before i can try it. I have a few mead making books as well. I do need to rack it a 2nd time, still some floaties in the bottom.

I am starting to get into. Bow making and atlatl making, i have been adding books to my library. (Bowyers bible, books by Jim Hamm, atlatl buiding books, and a bow&arrow making books by Douglas Spotted Eagle)  Getting tools, and i have a bunch of ash staves (quarters of trees) drying out under my house, and i kept 1 inside this winter as a test to see how it dries. I also have some maple staves cut and drying as well. Talking to a few coworkers(who know i haven't started yet) looking at purchasing a bow or 2.  Grin

Just this week our 1 female turkey just laid 2 eggs, so hopefully she will be broody, and possibly  hatch some babies.  Our chickens, have now started laying about 1 dozen eggs a day, which we sell the extras to my coworkers,  and a few locals. Bringing in some extra cash, not much. But every bit helps. We will also be butchering our 6 roosters we have, since only need 2 for our flock. Noisy little buggars.  Angry.

Here are a few pics.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #224 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 6:22am

Before the snow last year, playing with the coal forge. I posted aabout it awhile ago in this thread, but again. It was built in 1902, Lancaster Pa

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)