Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24
Send Topic Print
Update on my move/ log cabin build. (Read 48080 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Update on my move/ log cabin build.
Reply #195 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 5:04am

Rat Man wrote on Aug 5th, 2019 at 2:46pm:
   You know we have a lot of bog iron in New Jersey.  At one point Batsto and its bog iron were a major supplier to a very young America, before better grade ore was discovered in Pennsylvania.  Do you have a lot of bog iron in Maine?  That would be handy in that you now have a forge.

I actually do not know, i will have to ask around with some of the older lifelong residents. I have never hesrd of anything' like that in NJ, but i didnt care much for NJ to even care much about its history. I do know from my gf, that jer grandmother's house over in Mantua has coal underneath

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #196 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 2:13pm

I don't know if it's the same in North Jersey but here in the south bog iron is everywhere.  I could go out and pick up a ton of it right now.  Old Revolutionary War cannon balls made at Batsto can still be found with a metal detector.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #197 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 5:41am

I had no idea about that.  If i would have known, i usd to spend a ton of time over at red bank battlefield, in national park,. Probably could have found a bunch there. I didnt talk to my neighbor,  but from what i found knline. There isnt much up here. There have been only 2 sources ever found, that have been documented, and thry dont look very close to me

IP Logged

Slingky
Tiro

Everett, WA
Reply #198 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 7:05pm

@vetryan15,

Hats off to you two for all the hard work. Great thread.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #199 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 4:34pm

Slingky wrote on Aug 8th, 2019 at 7:05pm:
@vetryan15,

Hats off to you two for all the hard work. Great thread.

Thanks

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #200 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 3:23pm

A couple of weeks ago. My gf got me a surprise for my bday, which has been over a month ago. It ended up being a coal forge. The person she got it from only wants a knife made from it when i get it up and running. It was built in 1902, by Champion blower and forge company.  In Lancaster Pa, which is one of the largest Amish communities in America.   The company is still around but is called Champion fans, and build fans for commercial use. The blower still works, which is a manual fan. I just need to replace 2 legs, and needed  pipe to connect the blower to the pan itself.  That piece is a flexible  heavy duty truck exhust pipe, which should be here tomorrow. I plan on doing a video after i get 1 fire in it.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #201 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 3:32pm

When i got home today, i was informed that our ducks have laid their first eggs. We have 1 male and 2 female 'runner' ducks. Which at 4 months hit maturity.  Which figures in account that the male has been horny, lol. Been trying  to mate with everything.  We have never eaten duck eggs, so in a couple of days after a few more we will try them.

What we do with the eggs is clean em up, and after that rub mineral oil over the eggs to give back the microbacteral film. The eggs will then be shelf stable and NOT need refrigeration for a few months. This even works with eggs from the store, after they have been in the refrigerator before we purchase them. Then we have em sit for up to 2 weeks. We go through a ton of eggs, they dont last long. Been doing it this way since we moved, and no problems at all.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #202 - Aug 22nd, 2019 at 5:46pm

The forge is way cool. 
    I don't refrigerate raw eggs ever.  I've lived here for five years and have never had a problem.  I generally don't keep them for more than ten days before they're used though. My late wife Marie spent part of her childhood on a farm.  She always raved about how good duck eggs are.  I've never had them.  My niece Julie has ducks.  I'm going to ask her for a few eggs the next time she holds a family function at her place.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #203 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 5:00pm

So came home today, my neighbor found our eggs. The chickens have started laying, a couple of days ago.  In an old tree that was cut up, woth a hole in it. So i wont be cutting it up for fire wood. Still doing some finishing touchs on the 2nd part of the coop, its gonna be an addition thats almost finished

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #204 - Oct 2nd, 2019 at 3:45am

I can see why they laid there. Perfect natural coop Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #205 - Oct 2nd, 2019 at 6:39am

Kick wrote on Oct 2nd, 2019 at 3:45am:
I can see why they laid there. Perfect natural coop Cheesy

Yeh, i think i now have go check it everyday for eggs, and will probably try to move it. Into thier yard so its closer to the coop, but its a few hundred pounds. Thats only a few ftom my flock, i have clost to 50 birds, turkeys,  chickens,  egg layer and meat chickens. Ducks, annd guinea hens

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #206 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 12:25pm

Seems that i sprained my ankle today while on my day off and working on firewood.  Wont be going to a dr since i have had multiple sprains in my life. Really sucks since the weather is gonna be a frozen mix tomorrow. The 1st of the season

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #207 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 12:35pm

Sorry.  Hopefully you'll feel better before too  long.
    I very much enjoy this thread and look forward to your updates.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #208 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 1:04pm

Rat Man wrote on Oct 3rd, 2019 at 12:35pm:
    Sorry.  Hopefully you'll feel better before too  long.
    I very much enjoy this thread and look forward to your updates. 

Thanks, i hope i can get back up again soon. My gf is keeping me laid up right now. So i will get in trouble if i move. Its a shame too, i just got all my new parts for my forge yesterday and was planning on setting it up, and trying it out.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #209 - Nov 3rd, 2019 at 5:57pm

So alot has happened the last few weeks. I finally got the coal forge set up. But still need to get my anvil and stsnd set up. Bit by bit. They cut my hours at works. So that might be a couple of weeks.

We now get about 9 eggs a day from the egg laying chickens, and 2 a day from the ducks. I will have to post some pics, we get different colors, brown, green and white.

We just slaughtered our first chickens yesterday.  2 roosters, that were normal.  They were aggressive to the flock, and started fights with the turkeys, and Guinea hens. Plus they kept TRYING to mate with the ducks. Watched some YouTube videos on the whole process. 1st one was great. 2nd was a disaster.  Had to throw it away. Today we did one, due to daylight. That one went perfect.  I slaughtered,  my gf plucked, and gutted.  We are gonna do 1 a day till our mest chickens are done. We have 10.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)