Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24
Send Topic Print
Update on my move/ log cabin build. (Read 47828 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Update on my move/ log cabin build.
Reply #165 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 9:53pm

Free chicken feed. Can't beat it.  I had chickens when I was a kid.  Now it would be difficult because of the murdering pack of wolves I live with.
    Often the ducks, geese, and all of their offspring end up in my next door neighbors yard.  He has a very large Yellow Lab and a Husky.  His dogs don't bother the waterfowl at all.  I can't believe it.  My crew of murderers lives to tear them apart.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #166 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 5:07am

I got lucky and was able to train mine, since I got em as chicks. They actually play together now. Which I have to do a  video soon. But one of my dogs she has a huge prey drive, and she is fine with them. She does help me wrangle the chickens up for the night.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #167 - Jun 25th, 2019 at 8:36am

https://youtu.be/7-KiiuQl5uw

https://youtu.be/k6XH9zjp-A0

A couple new videos showing off my multi species flock

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #168 - Jun 25th, 2019 at 12:11pm

Nice flock.  Good mix.  I have an  unrelated question.  No one loves the woods more than me but sooner or later one gets bored. Particularly women.  What do you two do when you want to step out?  Where is the nearest town and what is there to do there?

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #169 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 6:46am

Hi Ratman,

I'm vetryan15's girlfriend. I asked to answer this. Out here it's very different,  I'm way too busy to really get bored. I pressure cook, garden, take care of the flock and 3 dogs, do laundry by hand, and cook every meal from scratch. The closest town is called Houlton only about a half hour away. They have a theater in town with 5.00 admission, and free popcorn, if I ever could find the time I would go, just too busy keeping the homestead going.

I also do not like the locals so I try to avoid town, they have a bit of a grudge against us "transplants" and it does effect my willingness to get out. I'm pretty happy just staying in and playing a game or reading when we are snowed in. I definitely wouldn't ever return to my previous life of diners and running around all the time. Hope this helps & good talking to you  Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #170 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 5:21pm

It's nice that you both share the vision.  I sort of imagined him dragging you off into the middle of nowhere and you being bored out of your mind.  Many of the women I know would go mad living like you do.  I can see that you're a team and equally committed to this.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #171 - Jun 29th, 2019 at 9:12pm

Hehehe, not at all, when he met me I was living on a corn farm near mullica hill nj. Even there I felt it was becoming too city for me, they even put industrial parks in cornfields and started buying half the fields to put small developments on.  I needed more land and less people. Plus I really wanted to be further away from Kramer landfill, Salem nuclear plant and the oil refineries.  It's nice to drink water that doesnt taste like chlorine and breath air that doesnt look gray in the distance. The fact that there are 0 poisonous snakes up here had me sold me. Vetryan15 having the same dream was just a wonderfully lucky bonus.

As for not being bored, it's the hobbies you choose to do that makes it worth while, for example. I hate sewing and knitting. Quilting is the worst hobby I've ever heard of, cutting up bits of fabric just to sew it together again, craziness really. If I had to do these I'd probably be ,miserable, but I do love to garden and cook. To me it's fun and not work. I pressure cook 7 quarts of meat at a time and cant wait to harvest and can from my garden. I guess it's all in what you can find to make you happy and making it your own paradise.  Sorry I'm a bit long winded, I'm not used forming

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #172 - Jul 18th, 2019 at 9:03pm

https://youtu.be/wSeWCCqTLjg here is a video of us leveling our tiny house due to frost heave

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #173 - Jul 19th, 2019 at 8:30am

Quote:
hey have a theater in town with 5.00 admission, and free popcorn,

Wow !
That's got to be worth a trip.

And the 'locals don't like us' ALWAYS goes both ways Smiley

But it definitely sounds like you're well matched Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #174 - Jul 19th, 2019 at 10:00am

vetryan15 wrote on Jul 18th, 2019 at 9:03pm:
https://youtu.be/wSeWCCqTLjg here is a video of us leveling our tiny house due to frost heave

I love all the birds walking up to see what's going on.  That had me cracking up  Cheesy

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #175 - Jul 19th, 2019 at 5:32pm

When I read the title I thought you were tearing the house down.  Duh!

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #176 - Jul 20th, 2019 at 5:26am

@CA,  I have only seen the theater I dont have the attention span to sit  through an actual movie  to attend. The locals I have had to put in their place more then once,  my attitude is starting to make people take notice. My reputation and. Attitude is what I am starting to be know by.

@Joe,  the birds have so much personality, we free range em most of the time, and when we leave  a building. They rush up everytime thinking we have food. Its gonna be hard to slaughter most due to personality unfortunately.  That's why I tried not to bond with them. 

@rat man,  lol my luck if my neighbor didnt help, that might have been what happened.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #177 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 6:17am

where the chickens are concerned - just eat more eggs Smiley

We had chickens some years ago. rescued them, ended up with 7. They are real characters.
At the tme we had a wire haired dachshumd - basically death on legs to anything.
And he and houdini (chicken that was good at escaping) used to be either side of the fence trying to kill each other.
Not sure what would have happened if they'd ever met without the fence. Dacar used to beat up anything bigger than him and regularly ate birds. But he wasn't used to things fighting back Smiley

Raising chickens to eat, well unless you've got a LOT - don't do it Smiley
You'll get a lot more satisfication from them as egg laying pets.
Get some rhodies, good layers, long lived and just fun !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #178 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 7:03am

Well when we started the flock,  I purchased a few meat chickens so I can butcher em, just because if you have ever eaten fresh farm chicken,  it taste 10x  better then store bought. Plus from the information I got through the neighbors, who raised chickens.  With our winters we get down to -40. A few have had some meat chickens freeze to death. Me being an animal lover, I wouldn't want any of them to suffer. But the mixed flock we have we have a huge variety,  plus we want cold hardy, and my gf just purchased 20 more chicks, which we will get next week delivered.  Once they start laying we will have close to 2 dozen eggs a day. But a few people I know,  are interested in fresh eggs, so a small customer base is nice.  We do have some Rhode island reds. There are a few that we have, I have no idea what they are. Lol.

On a side note, one of our Barred Rock hens, caught, killed and ate a large juvenile field mouse. Which was interesting to watch.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #179 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 5:33pm

https://youtu.be/XHWbaUQtvlU. ; here is one i did talking about the water test we did and got the results a few days ago.  This shows us drinking the well water for the 1st time.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris)