Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24
Send Topic Print
Update on my move/ log cabin build. (Read 47846 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Update on my move/ log cabin build.
Reply #150 - May 2nd, 2019 at 8:47am

So an incident happened last night involving our ducks. We all went to bed. My, my gf, 3 dogs. In the middle of the night, I woke up due to 1 of the dogs taking my blanket. Well the 3 ducks are in a tote, and growing.  Still have a couple more weeks before they can go out in the coop. Well I went to kick a dog to nudge her off the blanket, I felt something really soft and alot smaller then a dog. I sat up, and found 1 duck  nested by my foot, in one of the blankets.  The dogs love them, and wint go after ro hurt em, the love to play together.  But 1 dog was actually laying and cuddling the duck while it was nested. So I had to put em away, since I dont want it popping in the bed. The end. Lol

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #151 - May 2nd, 2019 at 9:39pm

Now that was a feel good story.  In your first sentence when you said an "incident" happened, my first reaction was concern.  Glad it turned out happy Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #152 - May 3rd, 2019 at 4:16am

joe_meadmaker wrote on May 2nd, 2019 at 9:39pm:
Now that was a feel good story.  In your first sentence when you said an "incident" happened, my first reaction was concern.  Glad it turned out happy Smiley

It was lucky I didn't kill it, I am usually very grumpy if I get woken up in the middle of the night.  Lol. And seeing that there,in my bed didmy help much. Now a few weeks ago, we had a true incident.  Where I had to destroy my flock due to them getting sick. But it turned out a different style of happy ending, that's still getting resolved right at this moment. 

Plus these ducks, I am not allowed to eat.my gf got attached to them. They are now pets unfortunately. I just hope they are female,  so I can get eggs

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #153 - May 3rd, 2019 at 7:18am

I once punched  a duck in its beak.

We'd gone down to the coast for a bit of fishing (I didn't ctahc anything) and I was forced to spend the night in a tent.
So about 3am this duck kept pecking the outside of the tent.
In the end the only way i could get to bugger off and leave me alone was to punch it through the tent Smiley

Didn't see a bent beaked duck in the morning so I guess it survived Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #154 - May 3rd, 2019 at 6:47pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 3rd, 2019 at 7:18am:
I once punched  a duck in its beak.

We'd gone down to the coast for a bit of fishing (I didn't ctahc anything) and I was forced to spend the night in a tent.
So about 3am this duck kept pecking the outside of the tent.
In the end the only way i could get to bugger off and leave me alone was to punch it through the tent Smiley

Didn't see a bent beaked duck in the morning so I guess it survived Smiley

That is hilarious.  I am not a fan of geese, due to an experience I had as a child.  I might get some next year. Not sure

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #155 - May 3rd, 2019 at 10:36pm

vetryan15 wrote on May 2nd, 2019 at 8:47am:
So an incident happened last night involving our ducks. We all went to bed. My, my gf, 3 dogs. In the middle of the night, I woke up due to 1 of the dogs taking my blanket. Well the 3 ducks are in a tote, and growing.  Still have a couple more weeks before they can go out in the coop. Well I went to kick a dog to nudge her off the blanket, I felt something really soft and alot smaller then a dog. I sat up, and found 1 duck  nested by my foot, in one of the blankets.  The dogs love them, and wint go after ro hurt em, the love to play together.  But 1 dog was actually laying and cuddling the duck while it was nested. So I had to put em away, since I dont want it popping in the bed. The end. Lol

Great story. That would never happen at my house with my pack of murderers.  Anyway, geese are cool.  They might hiss and act bad but they don't have teeth or claws.  They really have no way to hurt you.  I walk through a flock of mostly wild geese every day to feed them.  They know I have no fear of them so they don't give me any crap. 

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #156 - May 4th, 2019 at 3:41am

These ducks are named after the bullies in The Simpsons. . One of them can be a bit bitey,  I think they are protecting the female,  but we are not sure as they are only a little over a month old. Which I will be doing a video in a few days, after the rest of my flock gets here. The ducks and dogs loved to play together. All 3 are hound or hound mix, so its interesting to see how they each react to the one who bites them. Lol. The geese thing, happened when I was like 4 yo. Wait a picnic,  and eating a sandwich at the table.  Then some goose came up and snatched it out of my hands.  Little bastard lo l

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #157 - May 15th, 2019 at 5:12am

So its snowing up here, and its sticking. Its supposed to be a coating but we shall see

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #158 - May 15th, 2019 at 9:21am

it's always 'a coating' - the only thing that changes is the thickness of 'the coating' whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #159 - May 15th, 2019 at 1:00pm

80's down here. 

Horse flies, black gnats, water moccasins, copper heads, rattlesnake and 'gators are all out in force.   Shocked

Wood ducks have already hatched out the first nesting, we've got a pair with two ducklings on the pond.

Hay already needs cutting, except the ground is too wet, the tractor will get stuck.

Largemouth bass are "off the bed" or have finished spawning and are returning to their normal areas.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #160 - May 15th, 2019 at 4:47pm

Perfect day here in Jersey.  Dry, sunny, breezy, not hot or cold... about as beautiful as a day in May can be.  A stunningly gorgeous day. It makes up for all of the rainy days we just had.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #161 - May 16th, 2019 at 2:04am

Same for Helsinki. My dad and one of my oldest friends have come over to visit and they couldn't have picked a better time to come over Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #162 - May 16th, 2019 at 5:24am

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 9:21am:
it's always 'a coating' - the only thing that changes is the thickness of 'the coating' whistle

True, the good thing is it lasted for 1 hour. But it came down like it was a blizzard . Then it rained for most of the day yesterday.  Which we experienced the couple of weeks of mud season a few weeks back.  That wasnt too bad. I was expecting far worse.  Next season is black fly season. Hopefully in a few weeks my chickens will be out in the coop, so they can deal with those.we started our garden, and still using the wood stove.  Today is my day off from work so I will try to get outside and do some clean up.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #163 - May 17th, 2019 at 5:10pm

Blackfly season. Ugh!

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #164 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 2:39pm

So we have the chickens outside during the day as I am working on their coop. I got home from work, and was told that my chickens caught, killed and ate a frog that happened to jump into their run I have. I was upset I wasn't home and missed it,

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)