Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24
Send Topic Print
Update on my move/ log cabin build. (Read 48113 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Update on my move/ log cabin build.
Reply #120 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 4:22pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Mar 30th, 2019 at 11:42pm:
You actually have to believe several things before behavior change based on global warming is justified:
1. Global warming is real.
2. Global warming is caused by man.
3. Global warming will result in catastrophe.
4. We can do something about it.

If any one of those is false, then the whole thing falls apart. Scientists have not shown much evidence or focused on anything beyond the first one, and half the population doesn’t believe even that... including many scientists. 

Personally I’d love to move to a cabin in the woods to be in a cabin in the woods. Global warming is about politics and money and power... not science or logic.

https://www.edf.org/climate/9-ways-we-know-humans-triggered-climate-change

https://skepticalscience.com/empirical-evidence-for-global-warming.htm

https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/science-and-impacts/science/global-warming...

Scientists almost universally agree that man has greatly accelerated global warming and that we have a huge problem.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #121 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 4:12am

I picked up a couple turkeys but one didn't make it, and then the this morning a baby chick we lost. Not sure what is going on, the chick was healthy but I think the Turkey was sick

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #122 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 10:52am

Parasites?

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #123 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 2:14pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Apr 8th, 2019 at 10:52am:
Parasites? 

I dont think so, but I am no expert.  Only because over the course of a week since I had them, and added a few more every couple of days apart. The rest are fine. The turkey we had less then 24hours.  The chick rgatwe lost today we had for a week. But the rest seem healthy but we shall see.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #124 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 3:44pm

What other animals are you going to add? Are you going to get goats?  I would have goats for a couple of reasons.  They give milk and meat like cattle but they need far less space and are less expensive to feed.  Plus they're way cool.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #125 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 7:30pm

Rat Man wrote on Apr 9th, 2019 at 3:44pm:
What other animals are you going to add? Are you going to get goats?  I would have goats for a couple of reasons.  They give milk and meat like cattle but they need far less space and are less expensive to feed.  Plus they're way cool.

I want  to add goats, possibly some sheep and an llama as livestock guardian plus to get yarn would be nice. Eventually I want to get into beekeeping.  I might do rabbits for meat and dog food. I know a few people who have gone on cattle but I want a buffalo might need more land for that though.  The meat is healthier then beef.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #126 - Apr 11th, 2019 at 4:11pm

I think Buffalo meat tastes much better than beef also.  It has a lot more flavor and it's leaner.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #127 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 4:28am

Rat Man wrote on Apr 11th, 2019 at 4:11pm:
I think Buffalo meat tastes much better than beef also.  It has a lot more flavor and it's leaner.

I haven't had it in so long,  I miss the taste.  I use to get burgers done in NJ at the grocery store all the time.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #128 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 5:23am

thing about bison is that they do not live well with others.
Had some friends in canada who ran a herd of bison (see what I'm doing here Wink basically you do not EVER go into a field with bison. Even barry used to feed them from the back of his pickup truck.

They spook very easily and will trample anything around.
So if you want to go that route, you'll need a large fenced off field just for the bisons Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #129 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 6:22am

I was planning a small herd. About 4would be max, but that is still way out in the future.  But I do remember as a child living in Georgia in the states,  we had a bison farm that was open to the public.  You were able to feed them through the fence,  they never really got spooked. Due to the tourists, and from what I remember.  It was always busy there.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #130 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 10:20am

I'm also a fan of bison meat.  Although it's been a really long time since I had any.  Grass fed beef has always been a favorite of mine too.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #131 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 1:43pm

I don't want to derail the thread back to the climate change discussion when this is supposed to be for vetryan's cabin adventures, but, seeing as I mentioned it, I've never enjoyed being correct less than this...

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/apr/14/tropical-insect-diseases-europe-...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #132 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 5:54pm

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #133 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 5:58pm

Rabbits are delicious.  I hunted when I was young and enjoyed them quite a bit. When I was stationed TDY in Ft. Drum, N.Y. the mess hall served rabbits regularly and they were always available in the local supermarkets. Unfortunately they are very difficult to find in New Jersey.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #134 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 6:47pm

We have plenty of snow shoe hares,  but the coyotes are over run up here, and I haven't seen many on my land, except for a few tracks occasionally during the winter.  But once the water in the spring starts flowing all the animals will be coming by for a drink, plus with my chickens that's gonna draw in some predators,  which I have s few firearms ready to go.  Sorry but the sling will have to sit that scenario out. Lol

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar)