Send Topic Print
Mobile Gaming (Read 1664 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Mobile Gaming
May 8th, 2018 at 1:54pm

https://youtu.be/Jtos2G44gTQ

This is my dream machine. I like my phone but I would love to have this as an all in one mobile machine. Does anyone here have experience with this or the GPD WIN1?

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Re: Mobile Gaming
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2018 at 3:23pm

Aww, when I saw this I got excited. Thought you were talking about mobile apps, I’m very experienced with those. But, this does look interesting.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2018 at 9:19pm

Apps count too. I've spent way too much time on Hearthstone. Great game, even on the phone. You can blow a lot of money on it if you're not careful though. Don't ask me how I know.  Huh

What apps are you talking about Drakolith?

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #3 - May 12th, 2018 at 12:14pm

All types, I’ve played tons of em, my favorites are mmos and my current favorite is called toram online. I’ve played toram off and on for years.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2018 at 8:05am

Interesting. When I was a teen I remember getting into games like Ultima Online and EverQuest. Never thought there would be a time when people would be playing MMOs and other such games on a phone in there pocket. Now we are almost past that into VR.

I imagine once a truly immersive VR MMO hits the market it's going to be huge.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #5 - May 14th, 2018 at 8:34am

Yes, I just hope that happens in our lifetimes, I’d like to experience that.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - May 14th, 2018 at 4:40pm

the gpd win2 runs windows 10 - it's gonna crash - a lot.
Had they used a version of linux - it might have had more legs, but windows 10 just isn't stable enough for a console.

Also having such a wide unit and the main controls above the keyboard is going to be a real hand crippler.

What would be better would be a bluetooth handheld controller you could slip a phone into. I've got a couple emulators on my phone(doogee x30) and the performnce is great, but trying to use the touch screen for buttons just does not work.
Shame as there are some great gba games on it and a useful mame emulator, but you just haven't got the speed of reaction and kinetic feedback you get with a physical controller.

The 3ds is currently about as good as it gets for a handheld - the 3d screen blows everything else away all by itself.

The 3ds also doubles as a 3d still and video camera, youtube playback and probably other stuff I've never bothered with. Not sure how you get the 3d videos to playback on a basic phone&cardboard vr headset. But there's probably a way.

I just haven't bothered to look Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - May 14th, 2018 at 5:07pm

Ever tried a MOGA controller CA? I like them so much I bought two. Gave one to my good friend and fellow retro gamer back in Cali, the other I still own. It's exactly what you described. Bluetooth controller with a clip to hold your phone. I use them on all my emulators.

I would love to own a 3ds but the way my days go I never know when I have a free moment and it's usually the free moments that I play a bit. I probably wouldn't always have it on me like I do my phone.

The PlayStation Vita was kind of a let down. I was looking forward to that for years. Not sure how they could have made it work in a day and age when phone speeds are constantly upgraded. Unfortunately it just couldn't find a niche like the 3ds has.

Ya with the GPD WIN2 the built in controller looks pretty sketchy. Not sure how long a person could play on that but I suppose bluetooth controllers could work. If I had a disposable income for such things I would definitely own one but you are probably right. I bet the magic would wear off pretty quick.

I'm just amazed at the idea that it can run top of the line games on such a small thing.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #8 - May 15th, 2018 at 8:29am

What’s this about emulators on the phone? My interest has been peeked  Grin.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - May 15th, 2018 at 3:24pm

Check out the emulators on the Google play store. There are great emulators for nes, Genesis, SNES, n64, gba and ps1. Possibly more.

I'm still waiting for a mobile version of Morrowind. Until then though there is plenty of interesting options for anyone interested.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - May 15th, 2018 at 4:03pm

that does look interesting !
but no sign of anything yet to buy on their website.
So have you bought on a funding site ?

Found lots on amazon. Some with better reviews than than the moga's for £20.
This seems to come out the best: https://www.amazon.co.uk/KevenAnna-Sminiker-Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller/dp/B01...
I've got mame4droid and MY boy free (gba emulator).
any idea if the controllers work with those ?

Failing that what emulators do you use ?

this is interesting: Quote:
Sminiker wireless bluetooth gamepad works for any game that allows pad control or runs by simulator(i.e GBA/PSP simulators on computer)

psp emulator ?
I had some really great games on the psp - most of the roms should still be around on cds Smiley
Bugger it I'll order one.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - May 15th, 2018 at 8:15pm

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FB5RBJM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_vr3-AbN6RRR9W

Below the controller you can choose which style. I have the Hero Power. It looks cheap and kind of is but works great and will hold a charge forever. Also you can charge your phone from the battery but that doesn't work all that well.

The emus I've used and know work are
Snes9x EX+ (snes)

Drastic DS emulator (the best DS emulator I've used. )

ePSXe For Android (Ps1 emulator, works very well)

John GBA (best GBA emu I've used, you can use the lite version for free but I think for how cheap they are it's good to support the programmers)

MegaN64 (Nintendo 64)

PPSSPP (PSP Worked fine as far as I can remember)

All of these have worked flawlessly with the Moga hero power with multiple phones and versions of Android. Download the app they tell you to (on Google play store, I think it's called Pivot) and also on some you may want to get the universal Moga driver although I've not used that for awhile.

I was skeptical at first but playing on your phone with one is the real experience. Touch screen does not compare.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #12 - May 16th, 2018 at 1:00pm

Ah, Android, I’m on iOS  Sad.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - May 17th, 2018 at 7:43am

apple phones suck, cost stupid amounts of money and the os is just crap.
get yourself a doogee x30. Doesn't need a sim. Just use it as a portable emulator, computer, camera, video etc. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobile-DOOGEE-Unlocked-Android-Smartphones/dp/B0714JX9L...

Chuffed to bits with mine Smiley

Couple of film and tv apps worth having that only run on android as well Smiley

Well the controller arrived yesterday (love amazon prime) and works Smiley

Need to fine tune the myboy gba emulator settings, but it did work perfectly out of the box Smiley

Now I just need to track down a mame rom for nuclear runner.
I had one a few years back, but it crashed after you lost your first man. I did get really good at not dying Smiley

trying a ps one emulator is next.
The thing with the psp was that every time sony released new firmware you had to download and reconfigure the hacking firmware, and inevitably a bunch of roms would stop working.  Trying to think if I had that before or after the gba. The gba just had a little programmable cartridge I could drop game roms onto. dead easy - although it did use a parallel printer port for connection. Before usb's got popular Smiley

I even fitted an adjustable lit screen to the gba.  It really was  great bit of kit.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)