Send Topic Print
Self Improvement? (Read 1096 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Self Improvement?
Apr 26th, 2018 at 8:36pm

If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?
    I wish I could have the energy I did before I contracted Lyme Disease. I used to run five miles then go into work and outwork guys twenty years younger than me. I usually worked seven days  a week or 12 hour days. I took for granted that I would always be a human dynamo because I had never known anything different. Though my Lyme Disease has been in remission for a while my energy never came back.
     Also I can think of many times in my life when I wish I had been kinder to people.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Self Improvement?
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2018 at 8:58pm

I am super sensitive to most meds. And as of now I am stuck taking blood pressure meds which make me tired, irritable and brain foggy. It's no where near what you have gone through with Lyme I'm sure but it's no fun at all.

I am a completely different person when not on anything and it feels wonderful. I think faster and am generally a much more positive person. Once I do manage to get off these (that's my optimism there) it will help me help others better, which is both a job and one of my great joys in life. So if I could change one thing right now it would be my current situation  and be the best version of myself. Good question.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2018 at 11:59pm

As, I think, a few of you know, I may live in Finland but I'm actually an immigrant here of 4 years (DON'T describe me as an expat... that's a conversation for another time) and learning Finnish is hard. Really hard. The problem I have though is that I put far too much pressure on myself to speak perfect Finnish and I hate being misunderstood or not communicating clearly which is, of course, what happens to everyone when they're using a second language they're not very good at.

Despite the fact this is a normal part of the process of learning a language, I took it way too hard every time I didn't understand something or I couldn't think of the right word to use. It got bad enough that I even started having panic attacks. Luckily haven't had any for a fair while now and I am generally in a better place than a few years ago but I sometimes still feel that pressure which is really just coming from myself. So I would say I would want to not even take the pressure away but use that pressure better than I have before and use it as motivation rather than bottle it up until I feel like I have to escape and run away. I'm working on it.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2018 at 8:13pm

I think I would like to be able to play any musical instrument.  I can't carry a tune in a bucket.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2018 at 11:03am

Bill Skinner wrote on May 2nd, 2018 at 8:13pm:
I think I would like to be able to play any musical instrument.  I can't carry a tune in a bucket.

I’m with you there. I inherited a player piano, and as cool as it looks in my house, it would be great if I could play it.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2018 at 6:58am

Confidence definitely needs an upgrade

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - May 4th, 2018 at 4:45pm

to go back to the joints I had when I was 40.

10 years down the line. I've got the start of arthritis in my left shoulder (popped the joint on a weight machine). Detached the bicep and reconfigured tendons in left arm. Don't try to bend your arm while carrying the 250lb concrete top of  a bench one handed.
Tore my left achilles tendon last year - rock picking in mallorca without pre-stretching. Tore my left quadricep the year before.

Once the achilles had more or less healed, did something very nasty to my right knee and quadricep. Small tear in the quad but no clue what damage I did to the knee. It works, but definitely going to be a bastard as time passes. It's not quite the same shape as the left knee any more.
That was really painful.

Both knees are pretty much wearing out generally. Going uphill/stairs - no problem. Coming down, that's a sod.

I'm kinda paranoid about hospitals and doctors - so none of these injuries got diced and sliced. Way i figure it, it'll heal quicker without surgery.
Having a really high pain threshhold - isn't all it's cracked up to be.
I'm lining up to be a complete cripple by the time I hit 60.

On the positive side - my right arm and shoulder are solid. That's my throwing arm Smiley

Other than that, both being able to learn languages easily and playing a musical instrument are both things I'd love.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - May 8th, 2018 at 5:48pm

voice.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris)