Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What kind of clay for ammo (Read 1591 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
What kind of clay for ammo
Apr 26th, 2018 at 6:22pm

So I am now branching out to start using clay, for ammo. I recently got a clay glande roller from CA, and I just picked up some 'sculpey ' brand oven bake clay. I was curious if there was a general type of clay that is preferred. Either Air Dry,  Oven baked, or natural clay. Thanks
Ryan

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: What kind of clay for ammo
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2018 at 8:10pm

I use natural clay.  Sometimes I fire it and sometimes I just let it air dry.

It's free.  Other than digging it up, that is.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2018 at 8:48pm

I've used natural clay as well. It's free, traditional and fun to use. My particular type around here is earthenware. I would like to try the higher grades in the hope that it might end up a bit denser and tougher. The trade off is they might need a kiln to fire correctly, and of course I would have to buy the clay as well.

The air dry clay I've used turned out well. Ive experimented making a few but have not slung them. They seem relatively dense, more so than the fired earthenware but I have not tested to be sure.

This is one. I also used CAs rollers.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2018 at 10:30pm

You can get 10lbs of air dry for ~$15 on Amazon. If each glande weighs 100g you can make hundreds of them, they’d be consistent, and they cost mere pennies each.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2018 at 6:33am

Thabks guys, I wish I had natural clay around here. But unfortunately I live on the wrong side of the state, so I have to buy my clay. I am hoping after my move out of state, I will be able to find natural clay.
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Apr 26th, 2018 at 10:30pm:
You can get 10lbs of air dry for ~$15 on Amazon. If each glande weighs 100g you can make hundreds of them, they’d be consistent, and they cost mere pennies each.

That's what I did, I bought some clay yesterday.  I was just curious on what everyone's preference was. Thabks fkr the information.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2018 at 6:33am

Thabks guys, I wish I had natural clay around here. But unfortunately I live on the wrong side of the state, so I have to buy my clay. I am hoping after my move out of state, I will be able to find natural clay.
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Apr 26th, 2018 at 10:30pm:

That's what I did, I bought some clay yesterday.  I was just curious on what everyone's preference was. Thanks fkr the information.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2018 at 6:42am

ssculpey would probably be very light.

The good thing about the air dry modelling clay is that it has fibres mixed in so it holds together really well.
The balls we made a few years ago, survived several hits on the wood or metal target.

The fired ones that uwe and christian take to mallorca can survive hitting the wood and tend only to break on the metal.   

The air dry, however is the only enviromentally friendly one. Also the bits it breaks into are fairly soft and break down over time and when it rains. So won't damage anyone or thing that uses the ground you sling on.

I think i got 22kg for about £15.

As I currently mainly use it to check moulds - still got most of it left. As long as you make sure the bag is well sealed, it'll last for years in the bag.

If I made my standard 70gm rough rolled clay ammo. I'd get over 300 from the full bag.
About 5 pence a missile.
pretty good.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2018 at 8:37pm

Thanks CA, o played with the roller,  I had bought some 'sculpey'  oven bake and I am now hooked. I think next time I will pick up some air dry clay and check it out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)