Send Topic Print
Gauntlet Build (Read 4158 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Gauntlet Build
Apr 22nd, 2018 at 5:48am

Gauntlets are cool so I'm making one Cheesy

I found David Guyton's YouTube channel which gives really good how-to videos on how to make various pieces of armour and he sells templates from his website. I've been watching his videos for years now and have always said "I should make something like that" then put the idea on the back burner and said "Maybe later". Well later is now.

I'm making his Version 2 gauntlet with 0.9mm stainless steel and I've already traced out the template on the steel and cut out a fair few of the pieces. One thing I#m doing differently from the tutorial and video is I'm not doing the decoration pieces simply to save time, money and I like my stuff to look utilitarian. I'm kind of thinking of really roughing up the final gauntlet, adding some dirt and battle damage, and having it as an orc's gauntlet.

Stainless steel is tough as Hell so it's going to take a while to get all the pieces cut out and I need to do a lot of filing but I'm on my way Cheesy I'll post updates as I go along if people are interested in seeing it.

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyROtRtz648

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Re: Gauntlet Build
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 9:39pm

That looks very complex. Good luck man, can’t wait to see the final product!

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 5:32am

It's a lot of cutting and filing but overall I don't think it will be overly finicky just time-consuming. The weirdest thing is how difficult it's proving to be to get hold of some leather gloves. Still haven't managed to find any good ones.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 6:56am

look in garden centres.
Some of the heavy duty leather gardening gloves wouold be ideal.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:59am

I think I might have to go get something like that. I was hoping to just get a cheap pair from a second-hand shop and so avoid just using entirely new gloves but it seems all the charity shops have switched to summer clothes and so all the gloves are just gone. Really annoying but I still have lots of time to find some Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 11:56am

After spending the money for the metal and working for hours and hours, filing and sanding, I don't think I would waste my work on cheap leather gloves.

Unless this was just a practice run and I planned to actually make the good looking pair after I had some experience making a couple of pairs of them.

I also think I would get a pair of leather gloves large enough to go over another pair of gloves.  Those rivets could wear or cut the top of my knuckles without some form of protection.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 12:03pm

The rivets for the fingers don't actually go inside the glove but on leather strips which lie on top of the fingers. I' mexpecting this one I'm starting with to be pretty rough and most probably over sized so I'm not too worried about what the glove looks like for now. It's looking more and more like I'm just going to have to buy some gloves anyway so I'll try and get half-way decent ones.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - May 18th, 2018 at 2:45pm

Well... Progress has been slow. I've been really busy and when I have had a chance to work on it, it takes a fair while before I'm happy enough to say I've filed a piece enough. So far 9 pieces are "done" with 32 pieces still to go.

When I say "done" I mean I've filed them smooth and got the edges to the right shape; all the pieces still need possibly sanding (only a little bit, I'm thinking the shaping will negate the need to sand the edges), shaping and riveting. I said before I think it will end up over-sized and... yeah it probably will. But no matter. I'm taking this whole thing as a learning experience as I am already making plans for a helmet. Over summer I should have more time so my goal of getting this finished by the end of the year is attainable I think. I also have a pair of welders gloves on the way. I think they should work out well as they have large cuffs which will help put a buffer between my arm and the vambrace. Speaking of the vambrace, as it's the largest piece I think it will end up being the most difficult piece to finish just because my current set-up is a tiny vice that I got really cheap. For what it is, it was a good deal but everyday I wish I had a proper workshop. A belt sander would be nice too because I'm having to file all these pieces by hand. Good thing I like challenge Cheesy

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - May 18th, 2018 at 9:23pm

You have way more patience than I do KTO

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - May 19th, 2018 at 8:49am

You come up with some very interesting projects KTO. Looking forward to seeing this one finished. Are you just doing to gauntlet and helmet for now? Any plans on a sword or shield?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #10 - May 19th, 2018 at 9:23am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on May 18th, 2018 at 9:23pm:
You have way more patience than I do KTO

Only for silly things like this though. I have a hell of a lot of important stuff that I can't bear to touch (like my eternally unfinished thesis...) Cheesy

Morphy wrote on May 19th, 2018 at 8:49am:
You come up with some very interesting projects KTO. Looking forward to seeing this one finished. Are you just doing to gauntlet and helmet for now? Any plans on a sword or shield?

Got to find something to pass the time I guess and I would rather spend it filing than doing something boring (such as my thesis...). The original plan was just the gauntlet just because I really like David Guyton's videos and he really made it seem doable, even in my student flat with almost no tools. I really love helmets and I've been collecting pictures and designs for helmets for a while with the vague idea of one day making one but I now have actually quite a lot of spare steel. I could make another gauntlet but I think a helmet would be more interesting to make. Deciding on the style is going to be difficult. The gauntlet isn't historically accurate to any time period and the helmet I'm thinking will be closer to a fantasy style but realistic fantasy. More LOTR than Warhammer.

Building these bits of armour is really just one of many things I'm working on. I still have plans for a cotton and latex devil mask I've been meaning to make for months now, I want to do some more wood carving and wood burning using a magnifying glass (the Sun is finally back so it's possible now), I'm still nålbinding, putting together some experimental music, sling making of course (lots of ideas for slings) and I'll probably pick up a few more hobbies by the end of the year Cheesy Can't do this stuff when you're dead so might as well get to it now.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #11 - May 19th, 2018 at 9:32am

Oh yeah sword and shield!

I did attempt to make a shield some years back and it was WAY too big and thick. Technically would have protected someone from nearly anything but was almost impossible to hold and carry around Cheesy I might make one some time but I feel that would really need more work space.

I would love to learn to forge some stuff, even if it's just some crappy knives but that DEFINITELY needs more space and requires more investment than I can give it right now. I can get away with hammering and filing metal in and around a student flat but I feel heating metal up to incredible temperatures and bashing it about, throwing sparks everywhere, is not going to go down well. Definitely a project I would want to do. I have a lot of sword designs and pictures collected as well as helmets (and gauntlets actually. Pinterest can be very annoying but it's darn good for reference photos). I think making a sword or even a small sword or even a largish knife, is quite a way off but not an impossible goal.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #12 - May 19th, 2018 at 8:38pm

Interesting! I have had this same project for two years. (slightly different model.) I was thinking of doing it without a leather glove.

I have always delayed the start. Angry

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #13 - May 20th, 2018 at 7:35am

It's always best to just start Cheesy

I've been working all morning filing, bending, re-bending because I messed up the first bends and then adjusting bends and this is what I have so far. The knuckle plate needs some definition hammered in, as do the central ridges, and then of course everything needs holes and riveting. All the finger pieces are yet to be filed as well. It's actually looking like it's not going to be too big. I was worried I had over-sized an already large template but it looks like, with a thick glove underneath, it should be about right. I'm really excited to get it finished Cheesy

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - May 20th, 2018 at 11:56am

That looks great KTO.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Chris)