Gauntlet Build (Read 4182 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Gauntlet Build
Reply #15 - May 20th, 2018 at 12:23pm

Thanks! Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #16 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 11:45am

I'm still working on the gauntlet. Slowly. Very slowly. All of the thumb pieces are now filed to shape and cleaned up. I'm going to get all the finger pieces filed then start the bending process. After that, still a lot of drilling and riveting to go.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #17 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 11:49am

Even though I still have so much to do with the gauntlet, I also have plans for a helmet. I've already decided on the design, it being kind of a blend of historical designs to make a fantasy style helmet and isn't meant to "match" with the gauntlet".

The main “base” of the helmet is taken from Bhutanese helmet designs (the round bowl with plume coming from the top), the face protection is taken from the Viking “spectacle” helmets and the back lamellar plates for the neck protection is vaguely based on Japanese designs. Lots of other cultures over various time periods have used these different aspects of helmet design but these are the cultures that lead to the inspiration for this helmet.

As you can tell from the picture, this isn’t a finalized design (sketched on the back of a receipt with the number of lamellar pieces currently unknown…) but I think this is very close what I’ll be aiming to make. I've already drawn out the template I'm going to use for the spectacles and the lamellar pieces (which took longer than I thought but they should tessellate nicely). I'll be sure to make a separate post when I start on it but for now...

I have a gauntlet to finish.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #18 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 8:41am

I've been so busy recently I haven't managed to make much progress with the gauntlet but the project is far from dead! I still have to file down a lot of the finger pieces but it won't be long and I'll be shaping the pieces and drilling the holes for the rivets. I'm doubting I'll finish this project this year but I still have that as my goal. The helmet is probably going to have to wait until next year. It's already getting colder over here so I really need to finish the filing (which I can only really do outside) before it gets too cold to hold a file.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris)