Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another Singing How-To (Read 2122 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Another Singing How-To
Apr 22nd, 2018 at 5:38am

Was wondering what everyone thinks about this video that turned up in my recommendations. Personally, I found this a bit... I don't know. He was stating things as universal facts when I find them to vary far more from person to person. Of course, some things in slinging will always be universal but this video kind of makes it sound he's found THE way to sling and this is how it's done. So what do you guys think?

https://youtu.be/28r-MQejnHg
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2018 at 12:47pm by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Re: Another Singing How-To
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 7:13am

I thought it was alright, the first half was more objective. It looks like he's achieved pretty nice accuracy though.

The stuff about ammo was a bit more subjective. Dense ammo can achieve the best flight so I'd never throw that away, also my preferred stone size is probably around his 'small' benchmark.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 7:25am

good video - considering the rather bizarre and awkward slinging style, surprisingly accurate.

But the crap about callouses is nonsense.
Make the sling right and it won't rub.

I invited him over Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 11:32am

Great video! I hope he joins us! 

I don’t totally agree with the argument that shorter slings are more accurate. At short ranges like 30’, longer slings make you triangulate more, but this is a training issue, not a fundamental limitation to accuracy. At longer distances the sling length offsets don’t matter as much. Per some of the other conversations about timing, a longer sling allows you to put the same energy into the projectile with a slower rotation, which means you will have less angular deviation for the exact same timing errors.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 5:39pm

Lips Sealed ein Video mit viel Gerede aber wenig praktik Fakten. Ich denke er kann noch einiges lernen.
Ich fürchte eine weitere Diskussion über irgend welche pseudo Stile.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 12:08pm

Nice video
he just talks about his views. we all have a lot to learn.
I like that he prefers silent slings, but I think i can make that puff ball crack.

muscle soreness would be normal for the first couple days if you perform a new activity ,no matter how fit you are. more than that means you did too much. slinging until muscles are sore is harmful.

calluses are ok  Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2018 at 12:29pm

Let's see, his main points are:

!.  Shorter slings are more accurate but less powerful.  I have found that to be generally true.  As with throwing with lesser strength and more control.

2.  Split pouch is best.  Again, generally true, but...lots of other factors are involved, like style and ammo.

3.  Uniform ammo.  True, but with enough practice general weights and shapes can be used.

4.  Pick one or possibly two styles and stick with it or them.  Yes.

5.  Practice.  Lots of practice.  Yes.  Unless you are one of the few that pick up a sling and hit with it, us mere mortals have to practice regularly.

6.  Aim.  Aim small, miss small.  Pick a point, the smaller the better.  Don't aim at the whole.  That works for me.

7.  Concentration.  There have been a number of threads about Zen and slinging rocks.  And about how your brain is a really good ballistic calculator, as long as you keep your grubby fingers out of it.  So, yes, again.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2018 at 2:32pm

I like the follow up video. He put in a hell of a lot of work after the initial unfavorable video. That's impressive to me. Most don't have the kind of patience needed to stick with a weapon such as this.

EDIT: I went ahead and deleted my initial post. I think the video over all is on point and it serves no purpose focusing on minor differences. Thanks for the perspective Bill.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2018 at 8:32am by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2018 at 5:20pm

I thought the video was OK. I agree with kto's assessment.  Most of his info is good but he says about a half a dozen arguable things as if they were absolutes. Also I'd like to make him prove his accuracy claims. All in all I give it a B.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man, Kick, Morphy)