IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Can you dodge a rock?
Reply #16 - Apr 26th, 2018 at 11:38am

Donnerschlag wrote on Apr 26th, 2018 at 4:33am:
If you can dodge a slingstone, you can dodge a ball.  Wink

Well now I’m going to have to try using a wrench as ammo!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Apr 26th, 2018 at 11:55am

During the Indian Wars on the Great Plains and later during the Spanish American War, the rifle the US were using were launching a one ounce projectile (30g) at 1300 FPS (400MPS).  The Indians and the Cuban troops would duck when they saw the flash and the puff of smoke.  If the trooper was aiming at the guy, he would now miss.  That was good out to about 100 yards or meters, they would then rush in while the trooper was reloading.  That was also true in the Philippines.  Brits had the same problems in Africa fighting with their Martinis'.

So, if a guy can dodge when he sees a bullet being fired at him, (Note that the shootee is not actually dodging the bullet, he's just moving out of the area he was in) I see no reason that someone couldn't move a pace or two when he sees a slinger release to cause a miss.

BTW, both rifles shot a bullet about the size of the first joint of your thumb.  And I haven't read any accounts of anyone being able to see the rounds coming in.  Also, FWIW, you can see a tracer round coming but you don't have enough time to dodge.  So, if you put some sort of light source on a gland, you would be able to see it coming.  I have no clue if you would be fast enough to get out of the way. 

The .25 second reaction time is from resting or neutral, if you are expecting it, your reaction time is faster. Otherwise, if you are in a boxing match, where the travel of a punch is a lot quicker than a .25 seconds, the fight would be one punch and over.  No blocking, no bobbing and weaving, whoever punched first would connect. By the time the other guy reacted, he would be hit.  And the fight would be over.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #18 - Apr 26th, 2018 at 4:01pm

Sarosh wrote on Apr 26th, 2018 at 3:03am:
@timpa what distance are you at in the 2nd video?

watching the 2nd video i think it would be easy to move my limbs out of the way of the stone but not sure about head and torso

don't you think it's wise to run to the opposite direction the sling is turning?

It's hard to say the distance. It can be about 30 meters. In the second one I use larger stones. Because it was intended to get as great a splash as possible.

The sling is not a sniper rifle. Stone can go just where you do not expect. If the stone is multifaceted, it can make an unpredictable trajectory.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #19 - Nov 9th, 2020 at 9:38pm

I think it's possible, if you train to do it you could get pretty good.

Polynesians trained to dodge and deflect multiple spears with their hands. Up to 9 spears could be thrown simultaneously at the experts (no idea if that is true). But they never used shields in war.

My boys throw tennis balls at each other, but not as hard as a man could. I started their training by having them behind a chainlink fence with a layer of coco wire in front of it and throwing full force with balls. Once they got used to it, they don't flinch. If they keep going eventually they'll be like boxers. Boxers do not move away from a punch or flurry, they just move the portion of their body that's in the way.

Lacrosse players are probably the closest to needing no other training. Any martial art should have offence and defence taught if you think of slinging as a martial art.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #20 - Nov 10th, 2020 at 11:14am

As others have pointed out- it matters a great amount if you see the slinger throw or not. If you can see the whole windup and throw it becomes more of a timing problem rather than a reaction speed problem.

To give an example, if you set a stopwatch, watch it tick and try stop it on exactly 5s, you are pretty likely to get within 30ms, but if you are reacting to a random signal it will track reaction time i.e. always around 150-300ms after.

If the person throwing has a poor reaction time you can move before they actually throw the stone and thus 'dodge' it because they didn't adapt the throw trajectory in time.

Basically you want to move in between when the launch of the stone becomes predictable and when it would otherwise hit you.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #21 - Nov 10th, 2020 at 12:11pm

I agree, seeing the person slinging at you is a very important factor for a successful dodge. If we talk dodging by means of seeing the projectile only (not the slinger), then it becomes much much harder. With woods as a backdrop, you often cannot see dark or dirty stones coming towards you as they blend in with it. No doubt some slingers painted their projectiles for this effect. It also depends on the size of the rock and whether it's smooth or jagged. A big, slow, buzzing, rock will naturally give you the best chance. Small, elongated stones travelling 60+m/s? Best of luck to you, I say.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #22 - Nov 10th, 2020 at 5:14pm

If someone sneaks up behind you and beans you with a club you can't dodge either. But if you can see the slinger or projectile then you have a good chance of evading it through training.

Shouldn't underestimate what people are capable of. Training changes things, you get over a step and you're doing what's impossible to others. Sort of like riding a bike, or climbing a coconut tree, one day you can't the next day you can, after that it's just about getting better.

Even video games, people learn complex, lightning fast combinations, after a while they're doing them routinely. Reaction time isn't the factor, it's muscle memory.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #23 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 2:32am

Define dodge. What Bill mentioned is technically dodging even if you can’t see the projectile. The other dodge would be seeing and responding intelligently before it hits. Anything that exceeds a human’s flicker fusion threshold is going to be pretty hard to dodge intelligently seeing as you cant see it. Velocity, lighting, size of stone etc all will play a part.

So, yes you can always dodge, no you can’t always dodge out of the way (since you can’t always see it) but evasive action could be taken one way or another even if that evasive action mistakenly brings you into the path of the stone as opposed to out of it.

However at 20-25 meters with a hard throw coming at you, expect to be sore the next day.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #24 - Nov 11th, 2020 at 5:07am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qY0DA7DG9s

490ms to dodge maybe they can lower the time if they bent forwards and down rather than backwards.
for 490ms bodyshot killzone would be roughly 20m for slingers but I would say 10m

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy)