Send Topic Print
Handkerchiefs (Read 1606 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Handkerchiefs
Apr 16th, 2018 at 5:51pm

It's funny how some things go out of style.  In the '50s and '60s handkerchiefs were a big thing.  Everyone; man, woman, and child had a handkerchief drawer filled with freshly washed and ironed handkerchiefs.  No gentleman ever left the house without one.  No kid went to school without one in his pocket.  In fact they were even an essential fashion accessory.  Your suit wasn't complete without one inch of a folded handkerchief strategically protruding out of the left breast pocket.  It was considered almost as important as the tie.  I couldn't tell you the last time I owned one.  You hardly ever see them in stores anymore.  It's just strange that something that was once considered so necessary could almost totally vanish.  The advent of the Kleenex or paper tissue wasn't responsible either because we had them in the olden days.  Like some of my posts this has absolutely nothing to do with anything... 

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Handkerchiefs
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 6:08pm

I own a few, I wear em around my head everyday.  They have many uses.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 6:15pm

Yes, Vetryan, I forgot about that.  People do wear them around their heads. But other than that you hardly see them anymore.  And they do have many uses. You could even make a quick sling out of one.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 6:58pm

I actually carry a clean one almost every day, in my left pants pocket. I have a very oily nose for some reason, so a reusable wipe is very useful.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 6:35am

Same with hats. Used to be you had a nice hat with your suit. Now, hardly anyone wears them.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 8:08am

I carry a few in my BOB. Just in case. It's one of those items that's doesn't take up space. Weighs almost nothing. It's uses are filters, medical, fire making.  That's just a few of the uses.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 8:46am

Now we are talking bandana! Huge and  colorful. I wear at least one all winter. Keep one in a back pocket year round.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 9:21am

slingbadger wrote on Apr 17th, 2018 at 6:35am:
Same with hats. Used to be you had a nice hat with your suit. Now, hardly anyone wears them.

Hats have sort of come back a bit but it's just not the same. Hats are cool.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 6:08am

Someone who always had a hat.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 7:34am

A damn fine hat.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 7:17pm

when i was a kid we used to use them a lot, but it wasn't hankies..it was the silkie, large headscarves old ladies used to wear all the time, at least in my region of the world.  if u held them up they were so thin u could see through them.  mawmaw, used to get mad at me for using all of her's.  she'd swear each one she'd give me to use was the last one, but she'd always let me have another.  they could chuck a large green marble with zest, man.  unless everything was perfectly set up and folded and loaded just right(and sometimes it seemed even then), lead shot and marbles would often be hard to keep in place during wind-up because of how slick they were, so we'd fabricate an abrasive coating and that handled that issue.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2018 at 9:55pm by RS »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 11:33am

Yes that's a nice hat. I wouldn't mind wearing one like that but I do my very best to stay out of suits and you just can't pull that look off with jeans and a polo.  Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Apr 21st, 2018 at 8:47am

When I was a little boy your suit was incomplete without a matching hat. It was mostly JFK who ended the trend of a hat with your suit.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus)