Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Slinging Heaven (Read 5344 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Slinging Heaven
Reply #15 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 3:01pm

There are a lot of birds around Lauttasaari particularly at this time of year. It's nice to have so much nature around but it's also meant I've had to patiently wait for various swans, Arctic terns, ducks and the various other sea birds to get out of the way before I can let loose. It also didn't help the last time I was there that they kept flying with their backs to the Sun so a few times I only saw them after I had thrown. Luckily didn't hit any of them but it really showed me that hunting birds with a sling is a definite possibility. They really didn't care how much I spun the thing round my head or the big splooshes as the rocks hit the water.
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2018 at 2:23am by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #16 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 4:30pm

You guys are lucky. When I go down to the river we get big, noisy, very angry pelicans. They are not small and not scared of anything. And they will eat your fish if youre not careful.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 2:11am

Wink

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 2:17am

Grin

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 4:21pm

Mein slinger Paradies.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #20 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 10:41pm

Wow that does look great Jaegoor

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #21 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 5:21pm

Although good sling stones are very abundant in southern New Jersey I don't have a beach with piles of them.  Your spots really are slinging heaven, kto and Jaegoor.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #22 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 7:02pm

Kick wrote on Apr 14th, 2018 at 3:01pm:
There are a lot of birds around Lauttasaari ...

(By the way, one of my friends lives in the Lauttasaari.)

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #23 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 9:27am

If they like slinging they should look out for me down on the beach Cheesy The weather has been pretty bad the last two days and on Monday I had a (very boring) meeting so couldn't go but hopefully this week I'll be back there.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #24 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 7:15pm

I think he has never thrown a sling. And he did not know that I'm a slinger.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #25 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 9:21am

My rocky beach is about two miles up the river. (5KM ish)  The majority of rocks are about the size of the smallest joint of your little finger or smaller.

It's about 5 meters wide and 40 meters or so long.  So, I can throw all the good rocks into the river in about an hour.  The good thing is that every time the river floods, more rocks get put back.

It's at the base of a chalk bluff, all sorts of fossilized oyster shells wash out.  Sooner or later, with a lot of luck, I'll find a shark tooth.  Not a Meg, wrong age of chalk.  And it's really good fishing for three species of large mouth bass, striped bass, white bass and hybrids.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #26 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 10:48am

Start of the week went back to rain and misery and cold so today was the first day I got back out there. I'm definitely better at distance throwing now with some more practice under my belt. I got 120m(ish) at the summer cottage on the frozen lake but I think today I managed to get about 200m or at least close to it on the one shot. That's just guesswork on my part but it went bloody far. I'm still not all that consistent but when everything falls into place those stones really go.

I also took along my "Barbarian" sling which I've showed off before and it did pretty well for such a long sling. I also took the Tibetan sling and yeah, it's just not made for distance. Real fun to use but couldn't get more than 60 or 70m. My sling I posted in this thread before was on great form today; the crack from it was echoing around the bay and it's just so smooth to use. Unfortunately, a few slightly odd shaped stones took their toll on the pouch and the release side has taken some damage. I'm going to attempt to whip it with some cotton thread and hope it doesn't mess with the dynamics of the thing too much. I still have a lot of material left and already started on a new sling anyway so I can soon have another one if this one fails.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #27 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 7:33pm

Also put picture: a good stone place. Smiley
I collect the rocks in the lower right corner

stones.JPG (44 KB | 35 )
stones.JPG

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #28 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 8:36am

Now that's a good ammo pile Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark)