Send Topic Print
Slinging Heaven (Read 5368 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Slinging Heaven
Apr 10th, 2018 at 12:43pm

It's finally Spring!

I've already done some slinging at the summer cottage but to be honest it was pretty cold most of the time and I had to keep drying off the rocks I was using because of all the snow so today was the first day of proper slinging and boy did I find a good spot. Lauttasaari, an island just outside the centre of Helsinki, has perfect sling stones and beautiful views. I spent about 2 hours out there after work, got sunburnt, my arm is going to kill tomorrow but I am one happy slinger.

I also got to try out this new sling and it's great. I was hoping to make a fairly chunky sling but it ended up really quite slim and after wetting it down it's super flexible. Really great to use and some of the best braiding I've done. I also tried some of the leather dubbins on it that I posted about a little while ago and it does seem to have helped hold the loose fibres down and it's so smooth it looks rather snake-like. The picture is before wetting and coating it. I've found it's very good for Bealeric style.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Re: Slinging Heaven
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 12:54pm

Lucky guy!

I'm stuck in a city with pop of 1m+ so not much slinging for me for the near future...

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 12:59pm

It's a fair way from home for me but as I've been going there every day anyway and I will be for the next 4 weeks, it makes sense to take a sling or three (this new one, the alligator sling and the one you sent me Cheesy) and spend some time out there. I need to be a bit better prepared next time; water and sunscreen for sure.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 6:13pm

Very nice!
If the sea level starts to rise around Finland, we know who to blame Cheesy

“Hey! Who put all those rocks in the water?!”

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 10:59pm

looks cold ...

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 11:29pm

Yeah I think I will legitimately have to change up my slinging spots now and then because every stone of a certain size is going to be going for a swim in the next few weeks Cheesy

There's still a bit of old frozen snow and some sea ice but it was fairly warm. Not sure exactly but at least plis 10C in the Sun. The wind of the sea could be a bit chilly but when slinging with a jumper on I was more than warm enough.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 8:46am

Beautiful area and sling. You're a lucky man!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 10:58am

Was out there again today for 3 hours. Sun burn on my sun burn despite the sun cream but worth it. I had a fair few people come up and ask me what I was doing as well. It's funny because everyone says Finnish people are very quiet and don't talk to other people but I've had people asking me about slinging on the beach and asking me about nålbinding on the bus and train. When I was doing my first Finnish language course we had a joke "Finnish people don't speak... to you".

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #8 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 3:50pm

Even in the 70s older and younger Finns knew sling. For today's Finns it is unknown.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 12:25am

I've been surprised because most of the people asking have been older (but then I was out in the middle of the day on a Wednesday so...) but I also had one couple, I guess in their 30s, who knew what a sling was but had never seen one being used in real life. They were really interested and I would have given them a sling of I had any to give away. Next time I'll remember to bring some spares. But yeah most people have known what it is which I wouldn't have guessed honestly.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #10 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 4:59am

To this date I've only had one single person who knew what a sling was- most of the others are completely baffled, but usually quite interested!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 8:28am

Very cool slinging spot.

Thare's nothing quite like a pebble beach for slinging Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

manospuercas
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #12 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 6:00pm

Nice find

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #13 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 7:39am

I've had to have a break because my arm needs a rest and I keep burning my face but I'll be back there on Monday Cheesy

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 2:20pm

I envy you.  Where I live, the closest gravel beds are 35 miles (60km) away and the gravel is smaller than the first joint of your little finger.

Plus, as it's on the banks of the Alabama River, it normally requires a fairly long muddy walk to get to them.

OTOH, I get a long relaxing walk and I can get rather muddy while slinging rocks at stumps and logs out in the river, so I generally have a rather good time.

Plus, there's the wildlife.  All sorts of ducks, geese and other birds, I see Bald Eagles and Ospreys fishing almost every outing.  'Gators, bears and feral hogs are there, too, so I stay alert, nothing like something out there that will eat you to make you pay attention to nature.   Grin  I also see raccoons, squirrels, opossums, and all sorts of other smaller critters on a pretty regular basis. 

And the fishing is rather good, too.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man)