Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
time shifting finger loops (Read 7977 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: time shifting finger loops
Reply #45 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 4:19pm

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:52am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #46 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 4:22pm

I think you are missing my point.  Your Y sling is limiting the angle of the release.  It is putting a constraint on the ammo for the purpose of achieving a more consistent throw at the cost of less flexibility in what you can throw and how.  But there is a continuum of geometries between the two extremes.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #47 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 4:24pm

I will read again

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #48 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 4:28pm

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:52am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #49 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 4:42pm

It is a very complicated subject.  Controlling the rifling and release angles precisely is very difficult to achieve (and also difficult to measure).  That's what I like about the challenges of sling geometry!  The subject is too complicated for any simple theoretical physics model.  There is a complex interaction among ammo, cord,  and pouch masses, friction properties, material stiffness, and aerodynamics.  Add in the biomechanics of the slinger and you have a lot of different variables that are not easy to control.  The subject requires a lot of physical experimentation and methodical statistical testing.  Most experienced slingers understand this intuitively, which is why they say "just practice and be consistent", but I think deliberate experiments could achieve answers much faster than "years" if you design the experiments thoughtfully and limit the number of variables during your tests.  This is why I want to do trebuchet experiments.  It takes the biomechanics variables away entirely! 

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #50 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 4:50pm

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 4:51am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #51 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 4:56pm

I think you and I are very similar Jauke.  I love the times when I can shut my brain off and just chuck rocks (well... mostly tennis balls in my case).  It is quite cathartic, but I also love the process of analyzing and discovering the "why" of slinging, because the more you investigate it, the more you realize that there's a lot more to learn Smiley

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #52 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 4:58pm

Jauke, your interpretation of timpa's words make me finally understand. I believe you are right in his intended meaning. I never understood what he was getting at.

He is a wise sage indeed.

John R.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #53 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 6:51pm

Ok Leute. Ich bin raus. Keine Ahnung wie ich es noch erklären soll. Aber ich fange nicht noch einmal an.
Vielleicht poste ich hin und wieder mal ein Bild. Aber mehr wird von mir nicht mehr kommen.
Ich bin sehr sorgfältig mit meinem sling Design. Habe alles denkbare und undenkbare ausprobiert. Ich studiere historische slings. Und führe Gespräche mit Physiker. Einige waren hier schon zu Besuch.
Wer etwas wissen möchte, darf gerne fragen. Aber bitte über PN.
Ich mag es einfach nicht mehr lesen. Immer und immer wieder.
Mein Anspruch ist vielleicht ein anderer.
Ich gehe lieber in meine Sandkuhle.  Tongue

Viel Spaß euch noch.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #54 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 10:06pm

IronGoober wrote on Jul 28th, 2020 at 4:58pm:
Jauke, your interpretation of timpa's words make me finally understand. I believe you are right in his intended meaning. I never understood what he was getting at.

He is a wise sage indeed.

The world would be far better if more people were like Timpa!  He is creative, knows how to laugh at himself, knows how to have fun, and is just a little bit dangerous Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris)