Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
time shifting finger loops (Read 7980 times)
RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Re: time shifting finger loops
Reply #15 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 10:58pm

"magically get better"

yeah just like anything a person practices a lot...the more one practices the better they get.  i found at times it came in leaps though.  but there is no short cut.  no finger hold that is the secret to being spot on....no magic.  just hard work and dedicated practice.  the width of the cords before release makes no difference, that is in ur head, man.  no one can teach u the release because no one can...ur body, ur brain, ur fingers and no one knows it better then u or how it works better than u.  no one can teach u that, only u can through practice.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #16 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 11:40pm

Quote:
no one can teach u the release because no one can...ur body, ur brain, ur fingers and no one knows it better then u or how it works better than u.  no one can teach u that, only u can through practice.

That’s just a pile of ridiculous nonsense. Nobody can practice for you, sure, but there’s a big difference between learning  and practicing. You can also waste a lot of time practicing the wrong things and never get better until you see something someone else is doing. But if what you say is true, then why read about slinging in history or watch other people’s YouTube videos or talk about slinging at all?   What’s the point if you can only learn from yourself?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 12:06am

i did not have or need anyone to teach me to sling, because no one can teach anyoneu to sling.  no one knows ur body or can tell u when to release so that u get it right...only u can do that, only u can find it.  no lil red pills to make it happen, no mystical muse who is the sling sage of the ages to enlighten you...sorry pal, but u gotta work for it, period.   but to answer ur question, other than entertainment, no real point.  no one can teach u release time...please point to any where or to any on line video who does...i've only been slinging since i was 4 and am almost fifty so please teach me release or how and when to..but since u r an expert, please show us who taught u release timing and how they did so.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 5:16am

RS sorry, das ist sehr einseitig gedacht. Sicherlich kann man sich das Slingen selbst beibringen. Das habe ich auch getan. Aber haben sie einen Lehrer der sie leitet und korrigiert lernen sie besser und auch schneller. Ich habe einen Schüler der bereits nach einem halben Jahr fliegende Ziele trifft. Ihre Aussage empfinde ich daher als falsch.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #19 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 7:53am

Well I was about to say I really doubt that the thread will devolve to the point of the last one... Hopefully it will work out ok  Cheesy

Personally, I only mean to understand what can be done with a sling in a physical/mathematical framework, this is purely an academic interest and not based in any practical desire to improve.

I don't want anyone thinking I'm gonna be super argumentative as (at least in my view) I'm always very charitable and reasonable. It's only that Apex's contributions from the last thread were very obviously incorrect to me (likely as I have some scientific background), and he would not accept any criticism at all- pushing them as fact to the community, when they were demonstrably incorrect. This I find is a very counter-productive attitude when trying to figure out how things work. Still, I like to think I remained mostly civil  Smiley

I don't think I would ever argue with Morphy or anyone else making reasonable/uncontroversial accuracy claims etc. I would even go as far as to give benefit of the doubt to quite outlandish claims of power and accuracy. Common sense should prevail here, there's little reason to suspect people to wildly lie or over-exaggerate.

After all the job is to fit the theory to the facts- not the other way round. If empirical observation disagrees with what the math predicts that is entirely on the math/theory to adapt and 0% on the provider of the observation. In a sense, the observations shape the theory by cutting out the incorrect approaches until you get one that mimics reality well. From what Nooneofconsequence says he is also on board with this principle. So please don't be afraid to offer datapoints!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #20 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 8:20am

@RS I understand. You’re old and awesome and your slinging powers cannot be matched. But since you have nothing to learn and nothing to teach, I now know that I can safely ignore everything you say.

For anyone interested in actually learning something, I was planning to follow up the mathematical sanity check with some small-scale physical testing on a custom trebuchet where it’s easier to control the throw parameters, because any theory that cannot be verified experimentally is just hot air.

Has anyone tried doing trebuchet experiments to test their slinging ideas before? Might also be used to do apples-to-apples sling comparisons.   

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #21 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 8:35am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Apr 11th, 2018 at 8:20am:
@RS I understand. You’re old and awesome and your slinging powers cannot be matched. But since you have nothing to learn and nothing to teach, I now know that I can safely ignore everything you say.

For anyone interested in actually learning something, I was planning to follow up the mathematical sanity check with some small-scale physical testing on a custom trebuchet where it’s easier to control the throw parameters, because any theory that cannot be verified experimentally is just hot air.

Has anyone tried doing trebuchet experiments to test their slinging ideas before? Might also be used to do apples-to-apples sling comparisons.   

I'm glad you brought this up because for years now I've been thinking we need a roboslinger to test all of these little issues, such as minor changes in cord placement affecting impact point.

When I read you are a robotics engineer I was thrilled that finally someone might actually have the means and desire to do this. If you ever do decide to make something like a trebuchet or some type of extremely simple slinging robot arm it could very well be one of the biggest threads this forum as ever seen in the advancement of target slinging.

Coupled with some slow motion cameras we could actually replace theories with hard data. (Blasphemy I know, but it has to happen eventually.) That would be extraordinary.

By the way...no pressure.   Wink

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #22 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 8:55am

Ok Morphy. I’ll put it on the to-do list. I will need some help though if you want to see it happen in the next decade. With two young kids, a day job, and a side business, I don’t have a lot of play time right now. I’ll move the roboslinger over to a dedicated topic.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #23 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 7:19am

Quote:
the width of the cords before release makes no difference, that is in ur head, man.

Makes a lot of difference. It effects how the pouch opens and when the missile is actually released. 
Plus it's easy to change a grip but maintain the rest of the throw style.
The alternative is to try and change your whole throwing style. Much harder.
With any sport or martial art - there are always tips and suggestions that can improve your art.
To assume you already know everything is to admit to ignorance.

As far as teaching people to sling.
I do that a lot.
There are very few slingers I can't improve through observation and suggestion.

Yes i taught myself to sling, but that doesn't mean I haven't learnt from others.

Any time you believe there's nothing more to learn - you might as well stop doing it, because only through seeing how other people do things can you add to your own knowlege base.

Particularly in something as esoteric and rare as slinging. 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #24 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 8:28am

I completely agree with you on that CA.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #25 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 9:01am

I only managed to learn to use my Tibetan sling correctly by watching someone else, same for fig8, Greek style and I wouldn't have made any other slings than paracord and leather ones. Maybe I would have worked out these things on my own but I'm a busy busy man these days and using YouTube and this forum is far more efficient than me just mucking about in a field forever Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #26 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 7:45am

I wish I could go back in time and teach my younger self what I know now. I could have saved myself several decades of trial and error. More error than trial actually. There is nothing I can think of off the top of my head that cannot be taught. Usually if one cannot explain something in relatively simple terms they don't understand it well enough to do so.

IP Logged

WojtekimbieR
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Poland
Reply #27 - Apr 21st, 2018 at 2:53am

My plan for "someday" is to use two electronic force metres incorporated into the sling cords that would record and save each cord's tension force during a throw.

It should also be possible to collect data about the physics of slinging if you video record a throw in slow motion to map the trajectory of various sling portions. With a function of coordinates over time and mass distribution, you're golden. That alone is enough to calculate what forces are applied by the human hand.

One simple experiment would be to sling an accelerometre, but I don't have the expertise to tell what frequency and precision of measurements one can expect from such devices.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #28 - Apr 21st, 2018 at 9:29am

WojtekimbieR wrote on Apr 21st, 2018 at 2:53am:
My plan for "someday" is to use two electronic force metres incorporated into the sling cords that would record and save each cord's tension force during a throw.

It should also be possible to collect data about the physics of slinging if you video record a throw in slow motion to map the trajectory of various sling portions. With a function of coordinates over time and mass distribution, you're golden. That alone is enough to calculate what forces are applied by the human hand.

One simple experiment would be to sling an accelerometre, but I don't have the expertise to tell what frequency and precision of measurements one can expect from such devices.

Woj, you should come on over and join the discussion on the roboslinger topic. I would love to measure string tension. As far as projectile sensors, it wouldn’t be too difficult to stuff the electronics and a battery in a tennis ball sized projectile. The best (affordable) sensor I know of is the Bosch absolute orientation sensor:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2472

IP Logged

Al Paca
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #29 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 3:52am

I can’t help but draw parallels between slinging and a golf swing. Timing, technique, impact/release point, mind state, the lot.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)