Looking up some Info (Read 2995 times)
Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Looking up some Info
Apr 7th, 2018 at 12:56am

So I've been researching on the historical context of slings through some scholarly articles and some other various websites (scholarly descriptions on how to use them are rubbish; 3-4 swings to get to the right momentum for release? Or things like generally; spin and let go? Come on, use some common sense! Grin).

I have found info basically stating that slingers along with other skirmishers initiated attacks on enemy armies and then fell back to protect their fellow army. So this kind of a resemblance to the idea of a modern marine in the sense that they can initiate attacks.

Also a modern marine is considered to have an elite set of skills. Each slinger serving in ancient militaries obviously are elite at their skill as well.

A bigger resemblance to a marine though is the idea that they could be useful ranged troops on galleys.

Which makes sense since ammo is rather plentiful as it's gathered or even mass produced much quicker than arrows or javelins. You probably won't miss whatever you throw as it plunks into the sea,

unless you inscribed, "Dexai," so beautifully that it was an unmatched work of art.  Cry

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Looking up some Info
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2018 at 5:14am

I had the same problem before.

how would you describe slinging with words?
if you read about pitching (which is one kind of throwing with different styles) you'll need to understand whole paragraphs. but if you see someone do it you are ready to go(more or less).

I've been pondering , what is this thing with us humans? even if we already know how to do stuff , we need to read about it.

slinging is like a forgotten art it's better to focus on experimentation and thought than reading . Wink

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 10:10pm

Sarosh wrote on Apr 7th, 2018 at 5:14am:
how would you describe slinging with words?

some old english texts use the word, "hurl, hurlers, hurling.' with regards to slinging...in early to mid english, that was the more common way of referring to slings...

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 6:31am

I'd say something like: With or without initial rotations to get up to speed- a throwing action is completed with the sling acting as extension to the arm, therefore producing much higher projectile speed than can be achieved than unassisted hand speed.

Still doesn't really convey it as the mechanics of slinging are very complex! The motion is qualitatively different to throwing with an extension on the end. You are aiming to maximise the angular acceleration of the sling by application of force over the stroke, rather than trying to maximise the hand speed as in throwing.

Much easier via video or sequence of pictures.

I have noticed in the academic pieces I've read on slinging (the experimental ones) that they really struggle to replicate the power of the sling. I've seen maximum ranges reported of less than 100m, when clearly a trained slinger can way exceed that- I mean, I've seen a good thrower get 100m within 20 minutes of picking a sling up for the first time. Now imagine you are a professional soldier who's life depended on accurately putting stones out to good ranges, and you have trained since the age of 6... You're gonna be pretty damn good.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 7:40am

The same is true with accuracy. Basically, be very skeptical of any academic conclusion of slinging. I try to view them as really opinionated novices. It keeps it in perspective.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 10:06am

Even I managed around 120m and I'm rubbish Cheesy Another barrier to describing the sling in text is just how much the movement various from person to person. Just describing the slings path through the air is difficult then you have to factor in any leg movement, hips, shoulder, what the other arm is doing etc etc.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 6:44pm

Morphy wrote on Apr 10th, 2018 at 7:40am:
The same is true with accuracy. Basically, be very skeptical of any academic conclusion of slinging. I try to view them as really opinionated novices. It keeps it in perspective.

Hey! I resemble that!

Just be equally wary of priests of the order of the magic sling who believe that mystical feats of physical impossibility can be achieved if you just adjust your elbow a bit and stop helicoptering.

Theory can be useful as a sanity check in the absence of concrete evidence or to explain the “why” of a particular effect, but ancient weapon historians who replicate weapons and think they are experts should definitely be taken with a grain of salt.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 7:03pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Apr 10th, 2018 at 6:44pm:
Morphy wrote on Apr 10th, 2018 at 7:40am:

Hey! I resemble that!

Just be equally wary of priests of the order of the magic sling who believe that mystical feats of physical impossibility can be achieved if you just adjust your elbow a bit and stop helicoptering.

Theory can be useful as a sanity check in the absence of concrete evidence or to explain the “why” of a particular effect, but ancient weapon historians who replicate weapons and think they are experts should definitely be taken with a grain of salt.

Lol!! Believe it or not that response had nothing to do with you. I can see how it would seem that way though. I had no idea I would be on my accuracy soapbox so hard today. People must get so sick of it but I can't help it, I love target slinging.

Hey would you believe I agree with both parts of what you said?! I've been disagreed with vehemently by both people who believe the ancient tales as gospel truth (most seem like nonsense to me) and by people who believe the sling isn't capable of much accuracy at all.

You can find plenty of threads with both. You seem more on the skeptical side for now, but if I had to make a wild guess I would say you will edge a little closer to the middle in time.

If anything I highly encourage staying on one side or another. Here in the middle you sort of get beat up by both sides lol...

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 7:23pm

LOL
I didn’t assume that you were talking about me, and I don’t really consider myself an academic anyway... just an opinionated novice  Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 11:26pm

Quote:
Each slinger serving in ancient militaries obviously are elite at their skill as well.

actually most had to have at least three styles, one being the backhand in case of the need to retreat, which never happened much, so it was utilized as more of a tactical style.

i read a lot about people wanting to know range.  and how, 'far', can u throw it?"  in the field in a real life situation of hunting or fighting that is actually kind of silly to even worry about unless there are large groups enbedded on both sides and u r just throwing ammo into the crowd....then u r prolly gonna hit the man standing a few paces away from who u were throwing at because of the shifting combat creates.

i so promise i do not give a damn who u r, if i see u release at me at a hundred yards or more, u r not going to hit me.  matter of fact, the better ur aim at that distance the less chance u will have....that is with bow or sling.

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #10 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 9:31am

I'm more of a moderate slinger myself, in regards to slings. Not that I have much weight in my opinions, being another novice.

I agree on some sources such as Xenophon on the ranges of slings (Which likely exceeds 400m), but I tend to disagree on the ancient sources relating to pin-point accuracy of slingers, such as was achievable by the Benjamites for example. You can certainly achieve good accuracy, but likely not further than ~20-50m.

In a battlefield context though, accuracy doesn't really matter all that much with virtually all projectile weapons except firearms, because when the engagement distance is going to be longer than 100m or 200m, you shouldn't really expect to be all that accurate or have that much of an effect militarily, excepting shots to exposed and relatively unarmoured parts. This 100m-200m range doesn't seem to change until at least the ~1850's, and by the 1900's, soldiers could expect to hit opponents 400-700 meters away.

This is why you want hundreds of archers, crossbowmen or slingers in your military forces, because ranged combat is a numbers game, and for every one-hundred or two-hundred arrows you launch, you might only get one or two enemy casualties.

I personally feel that Accuracy is more important for when the distance reaches within 50m or so, or more at the 'point-blank' spectrum, because at that distance it is more likely that you can actively aim for individual or grouped opponents and expect a hit. You can also use larger rocks in the sling! Tongue

This also counts for Archers and crossbowmen. Crecy and Agincourt were likely fought at closer ranges, for example, than is commonly thought, possibly within twenty meters. At this range and on the flanks, English longbowmen could easily hit the exposed maile-covered armpits, visor-slots/breaths or for the back portion of the legs, places where the plate's might not cover. This would not be possible from longer distances, as at a range of 100m or longer, the English arrows would likely be deflected or glance off of french armour, such as plate armour or coat-of-plates et cetera.

The benefit of the sling though, likely lies in the cheapness of the projectiles. So, in my opinion, it is possible that slingers likely had further engagement ranges than archers for a large period of time, even when it could be possible for slingers to be within the 'maximal range' of bowmen, likely because commanders didn't want their archers to waste their arrows et cetera, because that stuff costs money. Meanwhile, anyone can make clay balls and bake them, supposing they had clay. Lead is an even better, but more expensive solution as well.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #11 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 11:02am

To go off of your comment, projectiles also don't have to hit a target at all to get the effect you want from them on the battlefield. If you want to discourage an army from having certain troops in a certain position, send up a few slingers to harass them and then quickly run away if they're chased. In this way you force the enemy into moving troops around and you technically don't even need to hit them just threaten them.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 1:19pm

^That sounds an awful lot like chess.

How about the pyschological effect of 3 thousand whip cracks going off repeatedly, followed by a rain of death from above?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #13 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 1:57pm

That too. Especially if it's a surprise attack. You might not even hear the sling and suddenly guys around you are dropping to the floor with crumpled in foreheads. Terrifying.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 2:07pm

With slings accuracy is closely related to eyesight.

If you can't see where the missile went, it's bloody difficult to hit anything.

We did an experiment at hodd hill. Where I backed off until i could no longer hit the target. And while I can throw with a pretty flat trajectory over 100m, at the 70 metre point I could no longer see where the missile was going and tended to overthrow the target.

We did this experiment with three types of ammo and a staff sling.
Conclusion was pretty clear.
Accurate slinging is limited to how good your eyesight is. At the time I did need new glasses. Without glasses, maybe 30metres lol

Which brings up an interesting point.
I believe many of our ancestors would have been short sighted, due to all the close up work they would do in poor light.

Which also explains why british hillforts got bigger when slings got popular. Hodd hill from edge to top is about 50 metres.
What's the betting that most experienced warriors were either shortsighted or starting to be short sighted.

As a theory it's pretty much unproveable. The odds are something as every day as eyesight deterioration is so every day and such common knowlege, that it's doubtful any historians mentioned it at all.

On the other hand it does have logic on its side and the fact that it's proveable via applied archaeology Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)