Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Words for sling in Romance languages (Read 1265 times)
Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Words for sling in Romance languages
Mar 30th, 2018 at 2:00pm

The French dictionary by Littré has a nice entry on the word for sling, "fronde"

https://www.littre.org/definition/fronde

It comes from the Latin "funda", whence Italian fionda, Catalan fona, Spanish honda. The Medieval and even early modern French also has "fonde" (D'Aubigné uses it for the Protestants at Sancerre). But modern French has an extra "r", "fronde". This comes from Provençal, and probably from Italian "fromba", "frombolo", which is onomatopeic: sounds like the whirring of a sling.

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Words for sling in Romance languages
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2018 at 5:22pm

also the french word for revolt or rebellion Smiley  now that says a lot to me because of the childhood stories that were told and read to me about the great slinger revolt and concerted 'slinger cleansing'....in which i was told slinger, sling, slinging, were illegal terms and all real stories about slingers were wiped out or changed to archers, or some other type, universally across europe, the middle east and north africa, within a century's time, save biblical references....  so i am going to look up the history of the word to see when it took on the meanings it has....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)