Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ideas for ways to tie One-strand Slings? (Read 2395 times)
Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Ideas for ways to tie One-strand Slings?
Mar 30th, 2018 at 12:04am

So for a while, I've been tying paracord slings with bowline knots (with long tails of course to [in my hope] prevent unraveling) for the retention and just a quick overhand for the release to pinch onto. I've seen some interesting knots and methods though looking around for a little bit. What do y'all do?  Roll Eyes

I just can't do whipping, I just don't know how.  Tongue

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Re: Ideas for ways to tie One-strand Slings?
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2018 at 11:33am

I haven’t made very many one strand slings, but one thing you could try is sewing the cord to itself instead of tying knots or whipping. Might work well, might not.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2018 at 3:22pm

The think with single strand slings is that you need an uneven amount of strands in the pouch .
A noodle(Rs) is basically 2 bow lines tried into each other to form a pouch this has 3 strands in the pouch.
My design has a 5 strand pouch(not truely 5 strands but that's how you braid it).
Basically finding cordage to suit your design is what makes these work or fail.
My design works well on 3mm cord but probaly horrible on 1mm cord

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2018 at 8:15pm

@Mersa, so you're saying that your single strand split pouch design (if that's what you're referring to) has two strands on one split and three on the other? Because that potentially explain quite a bit when I tried to work with that One-Strand design, it's hard for me to follow, ha ha!

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2018 at 2:10am

Yes in my design you braid the two strands of the bowline with the tail. Stop about half way loop the bowline back over the retention and chase that back up and over the retention to star a new weave with 2 strands paired . Basically what I'm saying is no mater what your design if it's one string and you are not cutting it the bends or folds that make the bones of your pouch for a weave will be uneven . This lets the tail become the release cord.

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2018 at 8:44pm

i shared this before in the intro thread, but when i was a kid i met a man who studied a noodle called the byzantine patch sling.  it was a sling with a thick patch made and all of it made with one loooong thread. ..originally.  if one was grown when it was made, it was only one.  if it was made when the person to whom it belonged was little, at some point in life when they were close to grown, extensions were woven onto the ends of it. the sheriff ended up with mine then i think the feds got it, but the sheriff got it back..., idk where it is now. 

im thinking about being hypnotized to see if it can be brought back to memory how to make it.  does that work, does anyone know?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Apr 1st, 2018 at 5:38am

Here's a pic of a sling I received from Mersa the other day, it's the kind he makes. This is one of the better paracord designs I've seen. I asked him to leave extra cord on the release so I could tie one of the tabs I like to use. I like them better than a knot, I feel they give a better grip and cleaner release.

As for whipping what exactly is causing you problems? A good whipping for slings is west country whipping.

http://www.animatedknots.com/westcountry/#Movie

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Apr 1st, 2018 at 5:10pm

Mersa wrote on Mar 30th, 2018 at 3:22pm:

A noodle(Rs) is basically 2 bow lines tried into each other to form a pouch this has 3 strands in the pouch.

yes, but something i keep forgetting to share what i was told as a kid....the term has changed meanings but from what i have been told, 'noodle' has been used in slinging before.  it would seem that once upon a time, slings were stiff or limber.  the limber ones, as the stories were passed to me, were called noodles.  i liked it so i use it for one stranders as they are kind of like a noodley sort.  so take it for whatever, but just how it was passed to me.....even slang changes, lol.  and according to the story, they used to have groups...like slinger camps, mercenary camps.  in many one of the punishments for certain crimes was to be beaten with 'a wet noodle' in the hands of an expert oversaw by the master.  from the story it was a serious punishment that left bloodie welts...and what is more, before u were accepted into the groups that used this tactic, u had to prove u were willing to submit to said punishment....only one way to prove that.... Cry

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 7:45am

A one strand sling makes a good "survival" sling. This one uses less than 10 feet of 1/8" diameter cord, two six inch 1/16" pieces and one10" piece that is also 1/16".

First pic is horrid walmart hemp. Second is pcord. Haven't made this design with fiber yet.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #9 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 8:11am

I think that my design is still not popular. But It functions much better than just a survival sling. It's my EDC on my keychain(1mm), and the main sling I use for target and hunting (3mm). Both are dyneema, durable, almost silent, strong and highly efficient in output power and release.

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1511678358/0
This is my tutorial

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #10 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 9:34am

I keep meaning to have a go at your design. I am dying of flu (have a slight cold) so I might use my time off to make one. I still have a hell of a lot of paracord hanging about Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #11 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 1:11pm

I just tie mine in a secure knot (not sure of the name, might be a bowline), then cut it short and lighter seal the end. Never has come undone on me. Add some superglue if you are paranoid about it.

Whipping is also good, but I wouldn't use just whipping to secure two paracord lengths to each other, make sure you at least use knots to stop slip-through.

For retention I find overhand too small. Quite often I use a double overhand(?) or ashley's stopper knot.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy)