Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sling design/Personality (Read 2551 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Sling design/Personality
Mar 29th, 2018 at 9:32am

How many of you guys make slings that fit your personality and "look"? If you made a sling and posted it anonymously would we be able to pick yours out as yours?

If you have ever seen that old Disney movie 101 Dalmatians there is a scene where the people walking their dogs look like the dogs they own.

I originally thought of this after seeing the pictures Walter posted. His slings match exactly what I kind of expected when seeing him.

Tomas' leather slings is another good example. And of course Mersa's slings being made from throw line kind of fits perfectly for an Arborist.

Do your slings match you?

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Re: Sling design/Personality
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 10:31am

It's true a lot of people seem to have go-to favourite designs they make near exclusively.

It's hard to say for myself, I'm big into experimentation so have a rather wide range of styles and designs in my collection. My go to for performance/range is leather pouch paracord in seatbelt-esque configuration, though I use braided slings of various types (apache, balearics, some woven varieties) for casual slinging as I find them more fun to use- also it's cool to have something that took more than 30 minutes to make, bonus points if it's bullet proof solid.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 11:07am

JudoP wrote on Mar 29th, 2018 at 10:31am:
It's true a lot of people seem to have go-to favourite designs they make near exclusively.

It's hard to say for myself, I'm big into experimentation so have a rather wide range of styles and designs in my collection. My go to for performance/range is leather pouch paracord in seatbelt-esque configuration, though I use braided slings of various types (apache, balearics, some woven varieties) for casual slinging as I find them more fun to use- also it's cool to have something that took more than 30 minutes to make, bonus points if it's bullet proof solid.

Seeing as how you have taken the time and effort to begin a taxonomy for slings, hopfully you would be interested in the oldest name for any sling. The sling you listed here as seatbelt-esque is (according to Pitt Rivers museum) a Spanish sling.  Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 11:30am

I saw a sling for sale at a Viking reenactors market, and I knew immediately that Uwe had made it Smiley

I pretty much exclusively make Mexican woven pouch slings now, they look great and work brilliantly.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 3:52pm

This is a very interesting observation. As for me, I don’t think so, I’ve made lots of different slings and I don’t think I’ve made them long enough for people to be able to know I made a sling just by looking at it.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2018 at 7:25am

David Morningstar wrote on Mar 29th, 2018 at 11:30am:
I pretty much exclusively make Mexican woven pouch slings now, they look great and work brilliantly.

And you can practically throw a pineapple when you make them right!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Mar 30th, 2018 at 7:26am

lol - as I'm currently the only person mass producing cap paul sling pouches, and they are exclusively what i use for any real slinging.

Also as I've just ordered an a3 (30cmx40cm) laser engraver, future slings will have elaborate engraved pics and patterns on them.
So definitely easily identified as mine I would think.

The cap paul sling is just the most versatile sling in the world.
It'll take anything from a small pebble to a 3lb irregularly shaped rock, to a handful of stones all at once.
The rivets protect the leather so unless you lose it the pouch should outlast the owner.
The ones i make are specifically sized to perfectly fit a tennis ball - as well as everything mentioned above.

I have 100's of slings in my collection that other people have made.
I guess if I didn't use the cap paul - I'd probably use a shepherd's sling.
The one judop sent me is probably the favourite of the 3 or 4 shepherd slings I've got.
Looks great, not too short and feels good in use.

That said the sling guelu gave me in mallorca this year is also a cracker. Braided - I think - from cheap plastic garden string, it has a large woven cupped pouch and I can hold it my normal way not just balearic stylee.

I like the balearic slings for cracking, just would never trust one in actual use. Seen far too many experienced balearic slingers send stones every which way to see the split pouch as a sensible option Smiley   

Dunno what david was using this year, but he had more than one stone go awol.

The fancy sling types are great to play with - but for serious, general purpose use the cap paul is the best there is - and i have tried the rest lol.
Plus you can just scrunch it up and keep it in your back pocket. Something braided slings don't really care for.

So yep fits me quite well i think. I'm practical, versatile and generally no frills Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2018 at 9:34am by Curious Aardvark »  

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Mar 30th, 2018 at 7:41am

Well I've sent a fair few braided cotton string slings around so I guess them? The slings I've been using most myself are the Tibetan wool slings, one of JudoP's Apaches and then my original paracord and slingshot pouch sling. I've been testing out today the alligator leather sling I put together recently (pouch from Loki) and that's shaping up to be a favourite for sure.
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2018 at 10:44am by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2018 at 8:31am

I do have a small following with my shepherd slings.  My designs,  are just about my trademark that I make exclusively.  But I do hope to start braiding more intricate designs and soon,  and branching out on what i make. I like to keep mine simple and practical.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2018 at 10:40am

When I look at the pictures thread I can often tell who made what.
I even have emulated a few of you!
In a way, our slings are a reflection of our approach to slinging. Some of us are minimalists and others are extravagant. I’m sure our body types come into it as well.
I feel like the creative process of making a sling is not just technical but also mostly in Design. Yes, it has to look cool but making the best performing sling for me is what it’s really all about.
Also, thanks Morphy:) I’m glad my slings stand out to somebody.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Mar 31st, 2018 at 8:50am

I am mostly a minimalist. Or was until I started doing kumihimo. I'm guessing at some point my slings will be absurdly ornate as function eventually gives way to the desire to push the creative limits. But those simple ones are still my favorite.

I recently received one of Mersa's slings, made by the man himself. It is very much in line with my tastes and I can't wait to use it. I must say as nice as it looks, it "feels" even better.

I associate some of you guys with your slings. Of course the Cap Paul is CA. Tomas with his skill in leather working, and many others with their own peculiarities.

I was thinking we should try this out if you guys are interested? If you want to make a sling, you could send me a pic of it and I will post them all and we can try and guess who made what? Let me know what you guys think.

IP Logged

RockerSlinger
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Mar 31st, 2018 at 4:43pm

What about trash bag slings Sad

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2018 at 4:59pm

Pretty good idea, Morphy. Could be fun especially if a few sling makers drop their signatures and borrow a couple from other braiders   Huh

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Apr 1st, 2018 at 5:30am

walter wrote on Mar 31st, 2018 at 4:59pm:
Pretty good idea, Morphy. Could be fun especially if a few sling makers drop their signatures and borrow a couple from other braiders   Huh

Yep, I think to make it a bit easier I would have to put a list of the people participating. I suspect unless someone completely changed everything about their style there would still be some tells. Might even motivate people to step outside their sling making comfort zone and try things they haven't yet.

I am working on a sling at the moment I could throw in. If anyone else is interested let me know. Probably need at least 4-5 people to make this work.

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #14 - Apr 1st, 2018 at 8:17am

If I ever get around to doing something original, I would likely make Peruvian-Tibetan hybrid slings...

It's for science, of course! Totally not because the combination would be really awesome Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, Chris)