Send Topic Print
Sling taxonomy (Read 3619 times)
JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Sling taxonomy
Mar 28th, 2018 at 3:29pm

As per discussion on the other thread, I've decided to draw up a sling taxonomy.

Hopefully this is an efficient way to classify and organise the large variety of possible sling designs. My hope is that we can get a pretty much complete as possible list of all sling designs grouped accordingly, so it will be a nice directory for people looking for new ideas or beginners getting an idea of what's out there to be made.

In addition as slings are added to the chart they can be named and recorded to aid in communication about lesser known types.

I've left out staff sling/not, braided cords/not, synthetic/not. As pretty much all slings can have these qualities, or not, so adding them to the chart just explodes it in size for no real gain.

Below is the basic breakdown. There's probably room for more specific breakdowns within some of the subtypes, but I figure it's more trouble than it's worth at this stage. I've included examples but it's by no means exhaustive. Please let me know if there are any glaring missing examples and I'll add them.

I'm going by my definition of solid/split outlined on the other thread. Which is basically pure split needs to be single cord or braided arms. Pure solid can only be slit or holed only in ways that don't significantly change how it deforms. Otherwise it's a hybrid.

I can also work on the definitions of the subtypes where it's not obvious and link pictures etc.

Unfortunately I can't upload the excel doc, so if you want to play around you will have to make your own copy. I'll probably put it in google docs or something later.

tax_resize.png (Attachment deleted | 4 )

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Re: Sling taxonomy
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 3:39pm

Should the Apache sling go in there? Or does it fit under the flat (variants)?

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 3:49pm

you forgot the pouch of the unconventional sling design by jax and tomas ,other names i've seen on the forum are S'clash,Y-sling,huntsman sling.

other than pouch variability there are different loops finger,wrist,stick or no loop at the retention cord.

and at the release cord there are many things so i leave it to someone else...

edit: could you post the other thread you mention?

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 4:04pm

Sarosh wrote on Mar 28th, 2018 at 3:49pm:
you forgot the pouch of the unconventional sling design by jax and tomas ,other names i've seen on the forum are S'clash,Y-sling,huntsman sling.

other than pouch variability there are different loops finger,wrist,stick or no loop at the retention cord.

and at the release cord there are many things so i leave it to someone else...

edit: could you post the other thread you mention?

Huntsman braided balearic slings

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 4:11pm

Drakolith wrote on Mar 28th, 2018 at 3:39pm:
Should the Apache sling go in there? Or does it fit under the flat (variants)?

I braided a balearic. Decided I wanted an apache. Instead of making another sling, I sewed a piece of leather over both pouch straps. Voilla, the  balearic (split pouch) became an apache (solid pouch)

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 5:13pm

Yes nice catch. Apache is a somewhat glaring omission which is actually one of my favourite designs! Actually I didn't mean flat (variants) as a category in it's own right, just shorthand for the list of all the various variations. Flat is somewhat a rough category too as flat slings can pick up some amount of shape through stretching.

I would class apache as solid-true solid by this measure. Though it is somewhat different in character being that the cords are continuous through the pouch. That's another possible distinction to make in the subcategory.

The Y-sling or s-clash sling is another one I didn't consider. I suppose it will fit into the special category since having split release cord separates it from all other types.

Huntsman slings are balearic as far as I know, they all sit under split-composite with some other qualifying characteristics which I haven't added (yet). Forgot to mention that by composite here I mean a braided or twisted pouch arms- not single cord noodles.

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 5:40pm

wow all this classification is frying me brain, man....lol...for real, a thousand variables.   great list though..

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 7:58pm

A few more:

Multiple pouches.

Compound sling (not much as been done with this design but Yurek mentioned it as well as some others.)

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #8 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 10:06pm

Finding tutorials on here is tough, putting tutorials for the slings listed in the chart could be good.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 4:00am

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 4:19am

Taxonomy is funny, there are two types of people.
Groupers and splitters.
An example in my feild (trees) is the genus Eucalyptus.
It's been split up and had trees moved around into different genres. (Splitting)
And the genres Melaleuca and Callistemon are possibly being combined (Grouping)
To do it with slings is going to be very hard.
I like the rough feilds you have chosen but the mersa a solid pouch??

The first classification that is super easy to define for slings is length. Short = 0 to your bow draw length. (About 28" on me)
Medium = draw length to armpit height. (About 57" on me)
Long = longer than armpit height.
Slings falling around the crossovers would be considered both.

The next easiest and most important is pouch type

Then maybe construction (tied , woven, braided ,macrame ,spliced etc)

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #11 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 6:54am

@Morphy- Multiple pouches?  Shocked That sounds crazy, have you got any pictures or descriptions to help me categorise them?

@Drakolith- Yes good idea. I think I'll add links in to tutorials as well as examples and pics when I make the list public.

@Sarosh- Compound sling, another one I'm not familiar with yet. With all these weird and wonderful types I might have to have a think how best to integrate them.

@Mersa- Apologies, yours was meant to be in hybrid since the split is non-trivial in effect Tongue I'll add all changes and reupload hopefully tonight or maybe tomorrow.

I really your length classification being height dependant but my only worry is that medium seems to run too long, as 57'' is unusably long on me. As a kind of 'common-sense' intuition I'd class short as 18-26, medium as 27-37 and long as 38-55 with slings outside of the range as generally ineffective (this @6ft tall). Generally I consider slings 'long' when I can't do most standard techniques with them, though its hard to put a number on medium-short as they seem to blend much more into each other and it just becomes trade-off.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #12 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 8:27am

In that case, here’s one for an Apache. http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1498535790 (Shameless self plug Grin)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 8:55am

ts3 ?

Also bear in mind that people call the same sling different names.
Classic example: Drakolith calls shepherd slings, apache slings.

I call them shepherd slings, on the grounds there's evidence shepherds probably used that style and bugger all that apaches did or even used slings at all  Smiley

Added xls, xlsm and xlsb file types to uploadable files Smiley

Interested to see the rest of the file.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 9:05am

So this will surprise no one but searching multiple+pouch+sling brought up quite a few results that didn't match what I was looking for. I have a vague recollection that it was Hondero that made them but it's been awhile so not sure.

The sling, if I remember correctly, was just a normal retention and release cord with three pouches in consecutive order along it's length.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)